Shimano XTR SIS Shifter Cable Set Cables

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Shimano XTR shift cable set. Incudes inner derailleur cable and housing. Black.

Submitted by fipogg a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2011

Strengths:    Everything inside the box works perfect. Cables are coated (black color) so they are corrosion protected, the housings are flexible and strong, the rubber end protectors do their job avoiding dust to penetrate the housing.

Weaknesses:    The pre cut housing is just unaceptable! Period. I've been using XTR cables for years and it is amazing that Shimano has not changed the pre cut housings although the bike geometry has changed.

Bottom Line:
Is there anybody out there listening at Shimano? Why not eliminate the pre cut housings and make this product a perfect one?

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   REI Perimeter, GA

Similar Products Used:   None or should I say, a generic type...

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2001 and 2010. Both XTR equipped.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Tallinn

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    It's not enough of 3 outer cables, I had to use 2 longer ones for rear derailleur, and now I have to get somewhere 1 additional - and I have already spent enough money to this set hoping that I wont need anything.

Weaknesses:    It's not enough of 3 outer cables, I had to use 2 longer ones for rear derailleur, and now I have to get somewhere 1 additional - and I have already spent enough money to this set hoping that I wont need anything.

Bottom Line:
I am really disappointed.

Purchased At:   Rademar

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Good cable- very smooth
Quality housing
Dirt/Rainboots create intermediate chamber

Weaknesses:    Pre-cut housing
Pre-cut housing
Pre-cut housing

Bottom Line:
High quality product. Easy to set up, works smoothly. Rubber dust/rain protectors good idea- easy to slip aside and clean cable. Full length rain protectors require disassembly for the occasional dust and dirt maintenance.

Hey Shimano, get with the program; your pre-cut cable housing no longer fits a majority of bikes- it fits almost no bikes. Housing will need to be trimmed anyway, so why cut it beforehand? The 2 handlebar pieces were plenty long. For the front derailleur I needed a piece about an inch and a half longer than the intermediate piece supplied. I had to salvage a piece of my old housing. As I cut way more than that off the handlebar sections, this was just foolish. I would have preferred a single housing section from the front triangle to the rear derailleur, bypassing the rear cable stops, but again- pre-cut housing killed that idea.

I like the idea of the dust/rainboots for the Shimano setup. It creates an intermediate chamber for some dust/dirt before contaminating inside the housing where it would affect performance. Easy to clean, unlike the full length rain protectors. Nonetheless, the pre-cut housing lengths are just too idiotic to support so I might give Jagwire Ripcord a go next year.

Minus 1 chile for the housing. Everyone complains about it, Shimano has yet to listen.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnels

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs, co

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    cable slides well in housing

Weaknesses:    housing comes in 5 pre-cut sections: 2 long, 1 medium length, 2 slightly shorter medium length. For my frame I needed 2 of the medium length, so I had to go buy more housing. Why they couldn't include 1 sufficiently long piece of uncut cable I don't understand.

The dust nipples or whatever they are called are a waste, they slip right off during use.

Bottom Line:
Poorly thought out.

Purchased At:   criterium