Shimano XTR Derailleur Cables

3.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by GpzGuy a Weekend Warrior from Eastern WA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Don't know, I'm not going to install it.

Weaknesses:    Pre-cut housing with housing sections that are far too short for a suspension frame. Plastic end ferrules may seal better, but look cheap and not durable.

Bottom Line:
I'm putting together my Salsa Big Mama and while ordering a bunch of other parts I purchased this shifter cable kit. Now that I have it in hand I can clearly see that the pre-cut housing simply won't work for my frame. It requires an uncut length of housing from the frame stop on the top tube near the seat tube, all the way down the seat stay to the rear derailer. This kit wouldn't even be close. Maybe it makes shifts like butter on other frames, but I'm not going to even take it out of the bag and just send it back.

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano cable housing over the years.

Bike Setup:   Salsa Big Mama build

Submitted by fipogg a Cross Country Rider from Stafford, TX

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth shifting action.

Weaknesses:    Pre cut cable length are absurd. New bikes demand new routing and more flexible lenghts.

Bottom Line:
Great cable and housing, poor product offering. Make sure your bike cable and housng demand is satisfied by the product as packaged.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Outspoken, Woodstock

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2010, XTR front and rear derrailleur plus shifters.

Submitted by scremf a Cross Country Rider from Wasilla, Alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    Being that I am so angry at shimano for being so incredibly cheap with the cable housing none.

Weaknesses:    Pre cut cable housing. In a cable set this expensive I fully expected shimano would supply plenty of cable housing, not so. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Bottom Line:
Never again, I have learned my lesson. If you want to get burnt buy these cables, otherwise buy anything else. I do not care how well these cable's shift. Shimano is just to stingey with their cable housing. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I'm sure it would cost shimano all of ten cents to supply the proper amount of cable housing.

Similar Products Used:   Avid Flak Jacket

Submitted by aarontriton a Weekend Warrior from jackson,mi,us

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    no strech fast crisp shifting

Weaknesses:    none so far maybe price

Bottom Line:
I sent my wife to get a new shift cable to replace the origional frayed cable and told her no junk i want a shimano shift cable all they had were XTR , well I installed and adjusted the shifting with standard deore shifters and at the time standard deore rear derailluer. The shifting performance was night and day the bike shifts so much smoother and easier.I would never have bought XTR cables on my own but know that I feel the differance I Absolutly would reccomend the upgrade. It will make your middle of the line shifters feel high end.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer

Purchased At:   P&T Fitness

Similar Products Used:   standard shimano shift cables

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance ,Fsa xc300 wheelset, Shimano slx crankset Race face next carbon seatpost, slx Shadow rear der,

Submitted by Dick a Cross Country Rider from Jericho VT

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    truly superb shifting

Weaknesses:    housings are cut too short. they provide two long pieces for the front sections leading from the shifters. And then two short pieces and a slightly longer one, none of which was long enough for the other front derailleur section. I had to use a chunk of old housing to cover. Irritating as hell.

Bottom Line:
It's a bummer that the cables work so well, but the cheap buzzards are so stingy with the housing. SHHHEEEEESH!

Favorite Trail:   Bullwinkle's to Mobbs

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   pretty much everything that's every been made

Bike Setup:   SC BLT, Fox Vanilla 125

Submitted by Matt Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth, quick shifting. Not much more expensive than ordinary cables and housings, and isn't your time and ride quality worth something? Great performance even after some very dusty rides. I shift, it goes.

Weaknesses:    Twitchy at first-- hard to get used to the very light action. Too much of a good thing? Wondering if other rider's 'stretching' is a loose cable clamp. I guess I'll find out over the next couple months!

Bottom Line:
Why is this not standard equipment on a $2500 bike?

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   The usual cables, and stock Jagwire setup on the Epic. Also Gore cables on my old hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp, Upgraded to SRAM X.0 rear/X.9 Triggers. Upgraded from stock XTR.

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from conifer

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Strengths:    they work

Weaknesses:    Not sure what the story is, after 250 miles you would think that they would have finished stretching, but I'm still tinkering with them every couple weeks.

Bottom Line:
I've adjusted them, replaced the chain, had a shop adjust them, yet I can't seem to get them to hold the indexing for more than 2 weeks or so before I need to adjust them again. They must be made of taffy, I can't believe they're still stretching, 250 miles and they're still breaking in?

Favorite Trail:   dakota ridge

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   04 stumpjumper fsr pro, xtr rear d, xt shifters.

Submitted by Ed McGoldrick a Downhiller from Altadena, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    The cable are smooth and strong.

Bottom Line:
Great cable with a jagwire housing is a good combo.

Purchased At:   Incycle

Similar Products Used:   Non-coated.

Bike Setup:   ASX

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from Poplar Branch, NC. USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2006

Strengths:    straight foward design and silky smooth

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
These cables made a marked improvement over the stock cables it was unbelivable how much easer the cables made it shift

Favorite Trail:   pocohonas state park, VA

Similar Products Used:   Just cheep cables

Bike Setup:   05 diamondback xsl,hope wheel sets,wtb weirwolf 2.1 race tire, candy sl pedals,carbon fiber handle bar and seat post,05 minute 3:00 fork,xtr deralluirs,xtr shifters, xt cogg set, fsa carbon pro crank,hayes mx2 disc brakes.XTR CABLES

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola,FL USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    Quality materials, straightforward design, good looks, very easy to set up, great performance.

Bottom Line:
Just what you need. A simple no gimmicks design, with high quality materials and staightforward good looks. Performs I'd say as well as the Avid cables, and appears much more durable the Aztecs (looks like little links shoved into a drinking straw). Easiest setup I've done, my favorite. Great performance.

Purchased At:   excel sports