Jagwire Ripcord Brake Cable & Housing Kit Cables

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)

Jagwire Ripcord Brake Cable DIY Kit: Jagwire Ripcord Mountain Brake Cable & Housing Sets.

Submitted by navymtbr a Weekend Warrior from Southern MD

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Carbon look housing works well with my bike, carbon headset spacers. Slip on ferrules.

Weaknesses:    Instructions a little weak. Could use a couple of housing guides in the package.

Bottom Line:
Went from partial housing, OEM set-up used exposed cable on the top tube, to full housing with the ripcords. Difference in feel and modulation of the BB-7's is absolutely incredible. Brakes feel like hydros. Park CN-10 cable cutters made the job easy.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Bike Setup:   Fuel 70 w/Reba

Submitted by melineman a Cross Country Rider from N. Maine

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    Responsive braking. Transformed my Avid BB7's. Looks amazing. CUSTOMER SERVICE (see below)!!!

Weaknesses:    Housing a tad short to do front after running rear. NO WORRIES, the newer kits solve this (longer housing).

Bottom Line:
First and foremost, Jagwire needs a reward for impeccable customer service. My housing was too short to finish the front so I tried to jerry-rig it and consequently ended up cutting my front brake cable short to try to make it work. I emailed Jagwire, got a super-fast (24hr) response from one named MacLayne (John perhaps? haha) stating that older kits had this prob and took a bit to cycle them through the old stock in some shops. He asked for my email and the next day had my new housing out the door. ON TOP OF THIS Jagwire also replaced the brake cable I hacked too short, which I offered to pay for since it was my idiocy. The reason this customer service was so great was because Jagwire solved the problem, went above and beyond, did it within 2 emails, and made the process QUICK. Because of this experience, I bought my fiance a Pink housing/cable kit for her Rocky, and will now be switcing from over-hyped SRAM JUUUUUUNK to this system.

Performance wise, in my first few rides so far the verdict is: Best braking I have had with my BB7's period. No soft spots, no hesitation, just power. I was thinking of going hydro brakes but upon researching cables and going with Jag Ripcords I can honestly say that idea is out the window. This is a quality product, an easy to DIY kit (USE GOOD CABLE/HOUSING CUTTERS LIKE PEDROS OR PARK!!!), and it looks awesome. I will be back for more. SRAM can eat my a$$.

Favorite Trail:   The Bog

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   SRAM, Shimano, low end bulk shop stuff on 1000' reels.

Bike Setup:   2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 (stock frame w Fox RP23, XT front), custom everything else.

Submitted by Mike Sinkoski a Cross Country Rider from martinsville, IN

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Strengths:    light weight, good looks, compressionless,nice end fittings

Weaknesses:    too short of housings for fully sealed routing

Bottom Line:
nice kit for builds or upgrades. Smooth action,compressionless housings that look good and are lighter than others. For the price housings should be longer, and Jagwire will send extra if they aren,t long enough/awesome!!New kits are supposed to come with longer housings.

Favorite Trail:   bcsp

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   fsrxc

Submitted by mscookla a Cross Country Rider from Shreveport, LA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Don't know yet

Bottom Line:
Although I have not used the product yet I have this comment. There is not enough housing to do two brakes on most mountain bikes in this kit.

Favorite Trail:   Anything without black top

Similar Products Used:   Regular cheap cables and housing

Bike Setup:   Mutt. Whatever I had from precious bikes.

Submitted by BruceBrown a Cross Country Rider from Des Moines, IA USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Comes with everything you need to run full length housing to your mechanical brakes. Compressionless housing with great cables that glide so easily, one finger braking no longer requires any effort with the index finger. Try a bad lever and cheaper cable/housing to get that sponge and effort feel. ;-)

The housing is light compared to the less expensive housing and allows you to get a pretty decent weight weenie build at both brakes.

Bottom Line:
Coupled with great levers, this is by far the best performing housing/cables I have used since 2002 on my bikes. Cut them correctly and avoid too many bends in your cable routing and these brake kits bring your brakes to life again. Well worth it!

Favorite Trail:   Summerset

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Shimano, Avid

Bike Setup:   JET 9 and Dos Niner - both with Ripcord brake and derailleur kits, Avid BBDB's and Speed Dial Ultimate Levers

Submitted by Langdog a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Anti-compression housing and teflon coating combined make a very smooth cable.

Weaknesses:    Makes your friends feel bad about their crappy cables. :(
A little expensive?

Bottom Line:
These cables are the smoothest I've tried. Compared to my friends mech disc cables, these react much quicker on the return and give you great feel. I've experienced very little or no stretch in the six months I've had them.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge Park

Purchased At:   Caney Fork Cycles

Similar Products Used:   OEM's on other bikes, my Spesh came with these, but I replaced them when swapping from rim to mech discs

Bike Setup:   '05 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail with Avid BB7's

Submitted by Frs1661 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    Attractive housing.

Weaknesses:    Lacked enough ferrules to do my bike. What are these POP ferrules? There's no instructions or explanation.

Bottom Line:
Wish they had given me enough ferrules to finish the job. I'd recommend you run full length housing, both for the increase in braking power and then you won't need extra ferrules. Braking power with these and the BB7's is excellent.

Purchased At:   blueskycyling

Bike Setup:   Avid BB7, SD levers

Submitted by Antonio from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Very close to zero compression, buttery smooth, nice looking, relatively inexpensive for what they are.

Weaknesses:    No instructions for installation. I was left wondering whether to put the POP ferrule on the lever or on the caliper. After searching on the web, it looks like it is supposed to go on the caliper.

Bottom Line:
Although I liked the simplicity of mechanical disc brakes (BB7), I was not very happy with the braking power. When I pressed the lever up to a certain point, everything was fine, but on hard braking, the generic housing start to compress and I got very little additional braking power. I entertained the idea of switching to hydros because of that. Fortunately (price of the hydros?) I decided to give a chance to the mechs and bought the Ripcords. That proved to be a very good decision. It makes a night and day difference. Virtually no compression (it still compresses just a tiny little bit) and lots of braking power I never dreamed of. Also, the action is buttery smooth. I don't know what was wrong with the previous reviewer, but something doesn't sound right. Defective product? I bet it was user error.

I don't know how long these cables and housing will hold. But even if I had to change them every year (which I highly doubt), it would be well worth over generic cables. Other compressionless cables kits may be more durable (I don't know), but I can't see how they can be better than these when new.

I'm going to knock 1 chili for the lack of instructions ;)

Purchased At:   Universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   Generic stuff (lots and lots of compression, much more drag)

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 with lots of goodies.

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've used several differnt cable systems over the years, but I've never had a brake cable set-up cause so much drag. The rear brake felt awful. I switched back to the Avid Flack Jacket and that cured the drag problem. These cables are middle of the road at best.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Bike Setup:   TiSport hardtail, 08 F100 RLC, XTR drivetrain, Thomson, Bontrager, Avid Ultimates.

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Ashburn, VA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    They lasted a long time and they never gave me any trouble.

Weaknesses:    None, really.

Bottom Line:
I can't really find anything to complain about with these cables. I changed them a couple of weeks ago because I got a new fork with longer travel and my front brake cable wasn't long enough. In all honesty, I probably could have just kept using the rear brake cable, though it was starting to get stiff from age. Other than normal wear and tear, these cables never gave me any problems. If I hadn't gotten tired of the "bulletproof Kevlar" gimmick, I probably would have bought another set.

5 chilis for value, 4 chilis overall because they did eventually start to wear out. (5 is reserved for perfection.)

Favorite Trail:   wherever...

Purchased At:   I don't remember anymore.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Pro-Flex 756, Manitou Black fork, Noleen NR-2 shock, Mavic rims, Shimano hubs, Michelin Jet tires, Shimano cassette, SRAM chain, SRAM shifters, Shimano derailleurs, Selle San Marco saddle, Easton carbon bars/seatpost.

Submitted by Jared Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Lots! Zero compression in the line. It's wrapped in Kevlar, so I'm now bullet-proof. The ferrules look great. The color/finish of the housing is really cool. Teflon coated wires!

Weaknesses:    None really. Just be sure not to cut your peices to long.

Bottom Line:
I run Avid mechanicals and could never get them to give me the power I wanted. I asked my local wrench if there was anything short if hydraulics I could do to improve the power and feel. He told me that he was turned onto these housings at Sea Otter and that for the money there was nothing better on the market. So, he ordered me a kit from QBP. Man, what a difference! I felt like Kirk asking Scottie for more power and man did he ever deliver! No more mushy feel in the lever and I swear the brakes are nearly as strong as any hydraulic system I've used. And this system is a lot lighter and much less expensive than the Nokon system I was also considering. If you want more power in your brakes, buy this system. It works!

Favorite Trail:   Red Box

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Avid Flak Jacket

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.9/X.0 Drivetrain

Submitted by Mikey a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    Feels very strong and my cables move amazingly smooth now. Teflon coating which is a must for cables as far as I am concerned. Look great, better than the standard black housing.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Well worth the price. I payed about £12.00 / $22.00 for the gear and brake housing. Braking feels much better on the release and falls back into position slighlty quicker. Gear shifting seems a little less effertless than before. Seeing as I have only had them for less than a month I was not able to give them a full test drive. My other cable housing split at the brake lever, these look like they are bulletproof. With the housing being Kevlar reinforced I should be able to safely say that these will never split like my others did. And even though I would need a few years to see if the cables hold up fine, the Teflon coated cables should last plenty of time and remane in near perfect condition. What I really like about this set is the furrels with keep mud and dirt out which is a clever design. Besides all that, these look GREAT on your bike, the metal woven effect looks much better than the boring black or grey cable housings. Anyone should buy these cables, especially if your if you need speedy shots of braking. 10 Flamin' Chilis!!

Purchased At:   Ebay UK

Similar Products Used:   Bog Standard Cable Housing and cables.

Bike Setup:   An OK 7005 Frame / Deore XT 2004 Rear D. / Deore XT 2004 Front D. / Rigida X-Plorer Rims on Bladed Spokes / Deore LX Rear Cassette / Truvativ Five D with Cromoly Trushift Rings / Deore LX Dual Control Levers / RST's / Jagwire Ripcord Cables and Housing / CC: Direct Curve 5

Question about installing Jagwire Ripcord brake cable/housing kit

I went to Jagwire's site and read their instructions for the Ripcord: [URL="http://www.jagwireusa.com/images/upl...Brake_2009.pdf"]http://www.jagwireusa.com/images/upl...Brake_2009.pdf[/URL] It wasn't much help. The Ripcord brake kit came with no instructions. My questions concern the small bits. ... Read More »