Gore Bike Wear Ride-On Cables

4.07/5 (131 Reviews)

Gore's patented coated cables are paired with proprietary housing to virtually eliminate friction and insure the most precise and effortless shifting.

Submitted by 83stumpjumper

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth worry free shifting for years!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I had these cables installed on my 1997 Stumpjumper Comp when I bought it. The shifting was flawless and smooth. I was even getting strong shifts up hills. Ran them for 14 years and NEVER had a problem! Last summer I noticed a crack in the front brake housing. I contacted the company and asked if I could just buy a new section of housing from them. They sent me a whole new kit!!! I had the new cables installed by a shop familiar with them, and I'm getting the same perfect shifts I had for 14 years prior. Get these cables and never worry about shifting again!

Submitted by njdj a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Well designed--completely sealed against elements
Great Customer Service Department standing behind the product

Bottom Line:
I recently installed these on my bike and they rock. They look great and, most importantly, the shifts are very smooth. The system is completely sealed--unlike some of the others (like the Jagwires). Functionally, I can see these staying in great shape for a long time because it will be very hard for them to get fouled with dirt.

That said, the cables are great, but the Gore Customer Service is even better. I messed up my installation and slightly kinked one of the liners. It was my fault--a noob mistake. I contacted Gore and they sent me a new one. I was so bummed but now I am happy again!

Anyway, if you are in need of new cables, these are worth the extra money. Great product and they really care about their customers. I appreciate a company like that and I know which brand I will buy in the future. A+++

Similar Products Used:   Standard, non-sealed cables

Bike Setup:   Sram 2x10

Submitted by bobneids a Racer from Royal Oak, MI

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth Shifting

Weaknesses:    Breaks after 3 Months of use

Bottom Line:
Breaks after 3 month of use.
Had one break during a race at the shifter, replaced with the same exact thing, thinking I was doing something wrong. On replacement I packed the shifter area with waterproof grease, then the day before another race, I had the second cable break.
I took the shifter apart the night before the race, the grease was still intact, no rubbing found on any surface. When I got it off the bike, I also realized it was ready to snap at the derailleur as well, only hanging on by a few strands.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Jagwire

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, Full SRAM XX, Chris King

Submitted by TCovert a Cross Country Rider from Little Rock, AR

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Continuous inner liner seals out dirt. Smaller diameter cable reduces friction

Bottom Line:
Stock cables on my Jamis started shifting hard after about 6 months. Lube would help for a while but then they seemed to get worse (lube pull dirt in?). Switched to Gore and I'm never going back. Liner within a liner helps keep gunk out and the reduced friction when shifting is noticeable. You can install these yourself if you purchase/have the cable cutting tool and a little bit of patience. Customer service is excellent as well. I wore out the end of one cable after a year (I'm 53 and do ALOT of shifting) and they promptly replaced it under warranty. Highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Purchased At:   Hucknroll

Similar Products Used:   Stock Shimano shifter cables

Bike Setup:   Jamix XCR with Shimano Deore XT components

Submitted by RevRacer a Weekend Warrior from Eastern PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Strengths:    Installation was really quite easy and the smoothness of shifts is a big improvement over the Jagwire products that came with the product. Not that Jagwire was bad, they are just in another class. I used to have problems with the brake cables freezing or getting dirt after a trail ride causing a loss of braking.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Great product for functionality. They don't have the flashy colors, but they work very well. I have installed both brake and derailleur sets and both work much better than stock.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Jagwire

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher - Kaitai

Submitted by ncjumper a Cross Country Rider from West Palm Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    Great product. Right off the bat my shifting issues were gone, because it has been awhile since my last cable replacement. Low friction and buttery smooth. I just upgraded my '05 Epic with lots of maintenance and some newer parts but this should have been the first thing I did. It was that noticeable. Easy install, great video on the website.

Weaknesses:    Price I guess. But you get what you pay for in this case.

Bottom Line:
As long as you install them correctly, you will be happy with this product.

Purchased At:   Huck n Roll

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and SRAM stuff.

Bike Setup:   '05 Epic, all XTR, lots of carbon bits.

Submitted by svtrich1 a Weekend Warrior from Lake Orion, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth and easy shifting. I ride in the rain and snow, I have not had any issues with shifting.

Weaknesses:    Cost. I did notice that the rear derailleur cable slipped over the winter, but it's likely that I didn't tighten the cable enough.

Bottom Line:
If/when they wear out I'll buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Similar Products Used:   SS cables from shimano

Bike Setup:   Home Grown Hardtail

Submitted by JeffThomas a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Buttery-smooth, low-friction shifting,

Extremely long-lasting.

Weaknesses:    More difficult to properly set-up than standard cables.

Bottom Line:
I installed Gore Ride-On Cables (both derailleur and brake) on my bike ELEVEN YEARS AGO and they're STILL frikken' awesome. Yes...the Shimano cables that came on my bike lasted around a year. I replaced them with Gore Ride-Ons and the Gore have so far lasted more than 10 times longer!

I raced on these cables a few times when they were new, but for the most part I'm just a cross-country recreational rider who loves technical singletrack, reliable lightweight high-quality equipment, and fast riding.

Since these cables were installed, they've been with me all over the dusty Moab, Utah area (on probably 7 or 8 trips), SLC/Park City area, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Marin County, New Mexico, Phoenix, Tuscon, Sedona, Flagstaff, all over Colorado, two hut-to-hut trips from CO to UT, North Carolina, as well as hundreds of rides closer to my home, in IL, IN, WI, and MI. Trust me, my cables have been used! They've been through mud, dust, and monsoon-like rains.

At the time I bought these, reviewers on this site just SLAMMED them for failing after a few rides. But I'm 99% sure that those who have experienced problems with these cables did not install them properly. They're tricky to install. Most people don't want to bother reading and understanding instructions. And I would guess that many bike mechanics didn't take the time to read and understand how to PROPERLY install these cables either.

I also installed these cables on my wife's bike a year after I did my own. She doesn't ride quite as much as I do, but her cables are also still going strong after 10 years.

Once installed, I have never done anything to maintain these cables. They just keep on working.

Sure, they're more expensive than other cables. But when you factor in their superior performance, their maintenance-free nature, and their ability to far outlast the cheaper competition, they're an extreme VALUE.

Buy them. READ THE DIRECTIONS. Install them. And don't give them another thought for years...

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Price Point?

Similar Products Used:   Standard Shimano cables

Bike Setup:   The best stuff I could find at the time regardless of price.

Submitted by jfrederickisme a Racer from slc, ut, us

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Fully sealed

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
These cables are incredible. I upgraded from the SRAM Ride On cables that were supposed to be fully sealed cabled but started cracking after one season. After upgrading to these shifting ease increased ten fold. These things are buttery smooth. They are a little pricy but highly recommended if you ride frequently in muddy or very disty conditions.

They paid for themselved in my first race that was wet and muddy. While every one else was having shifting problems I flew right on by for a 2nd place finish.

Favorite Trail:   gOOSEBERRY MESA

Purchased At:   JoyRide Bikes

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Ride On cables

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Crossmax XL wheelset, SRAM XO components, Fow Float RLC fork.

Submitted by cda mtn biker a Cross Country Rider from hayden, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    sealed cable system, low friction, accurate shifts, the only maintenance required after one year of riding was to fine tune the cable tension after the break in period. The best customer service department.

Weaknesses:    May seem pricy compared to other cable systems out there. But you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
The cables will improve any drive train. Smooth and accurate shifting everytime. I ride almost year round and these cables have been put through a lot. They are sealed to keep the grit, grime and mud out allowing them to shift spot on everytime. They also held up great to the dry dusty conditions of late summer where other bands (Shimano/Jagwire) required daily maintenance or produced poor shifting results until they were cleaned and lubed.
They also have one of the best customer service departments out there. The guys at Gore Ride-On Cables are great! Thanks for all the help Lou.

Favorite Trail:   Canefield trail system

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outf

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Jagwire, cheap generic

Bike Setup:   Gore Ride-On Cables, Sram XO shifters, XO blackbox rear derailleur, Shimano XTR front Derailleur, XT hollow tech II crank and chain rings, chain and Cassette.

Submitted by Pinchphlat a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Very smooth shifting - these cables make the shifters so easy and responsive. I have the sealed full-length outer versions, and they certainly keep a clean line.

Weaknesses:    Replacement costs (you cannot buy the inner cables seperately).

Bottom Line:
These are the best cables on the market. Period. They are easy to set up, and work perfectly, even after a long period of heavy abuse. The only drawback is that if you snap an inner cable, then you are up for a completely new set, as the inner cables are not sold individually. However I have not snapped an inner cable yet (1 year), whereas with other setups I would have gone through at least a pair of cables by now. So the replacements costs seem to be offset by longevity of the product.

Similar Products Used:   Just about every Shimano cable produced in recent years, including XTR cabling.

Submitted by mojopin a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, mn

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    smooth shifting, sealed housings, longevity

Weaknesses:    careful setup, somewhat delicate cables

Bottom Line:
Really sweet cable set for rear. Front proved to be somewhat fickle. Overall, there was a very noticeably smoother shifting with absolutely no friction in the cables. Seriously, this stuff is almost as smooth as my DA equipped road bike... awesome! The only downside is they are kind of spendy and routing a top pull derailleur proved kinda difficult and I'm a shop guy... experienced some bunching and eventual fracture of the internal sleeve material forcing me to trim it back 1/2". If you're careful during setup this may be avoidable.

Compared to the Avid Flak Jacket set-up, the Gore's are simpler and have the slight edge for slick shifts. Compared to high end aftermarket housing from Jagwire and Shimano, it is a comparable setup with superior performance. The only downside is that this additional performance costs a pretty penny.

Favorite Trail:   Hillside

Purchased At:   gore

Similar Products Used:   Avid Flak Jackets, Shimano XTR cable sets, Jagwire cables

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe

Submitted by Darkstar a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside Ca

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    long lasting and maintenance free

Weaknesses:    expense and you cannot just get a replacement cable so if you have a cable issue you get to buy it all over again.

Bottom Line:
I happened to be on the phone with competive cyclist and somehow this was mentioned. I bought them instantly because years ago when they were available i used them and lvoed them. Gore left the US market for like 8 years or something. Back then I would put a set on my bike and it would last till I needed a new bike. It was impressive and the shifting was always spot on. The drop on release of shifting was always noticeably faster.

Well I got the new set and put them on. Unfortunately my XTR integrated levers started leaking before I got to ride it once. I had to pull the lever and send it to shimano. Now as you can imagine I have a cable cut that I had to pull back through the lines. Will I get it back through? I don't know but I call Competitive to buy just a replacement cable. Sorry you can buy a whole new set for $60 (I have found it for $40 now). Well that is BS. Yes the cable will last forever if you do not have some issue like I have and you do nothing no lube nada but what if you break a shifter or something? No replacement cables? $40 every time. I just do not think they give me that much here in Ca. Maybe in a muddy clime but not here. Also shame on the shops for not stocking cables on a kit you sell. That is lame. I know Gore offers them in shop boxes just like any other cable. That would allow you to buy and piece you need and answer the issue below on the crazy wateful packaging. I am giving it 5 stars still because the product still rocks but since you cannot get replacements I still would not recomend it.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I am riding

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xtr, others

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 xtr

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    Well sealed for sure. Very likely low maintenance. Amazing packaging, good product support.

Weaknesses:    High friction. I don't care what they say, by running a liner the full length of the line, the friction increases. Action is smooth, but there is significant resistance. Obvious when compared to the generic cables I was running before. I'm kind of anal about having brakes and shifting that feels digital, so I bought the advertising hook line and sinker. I've had much better performance from generic cables well lubed with silicone spray. I'm sure these will last much longer though(bummer, now I'm stuck with them). And whats with the packaging? Who cares about packaging? I'm convinced a large portion of the exorbitant price is due to the ridiculously elaborate packaging. Gore also ads these pointless little red tags so you can advertise for them.

Bottom Line:
Robust, well sealed, expensive, exotic, with false claims of exceptionally low friction. Oh yeah, did I mention the packaging is out of this world? Low value unless you plan on never maintaining you cables.

Favorite Trail:   The Dark Side