Home | Reviews | Cables | Delta

2.73/5 (26 Reviews)

Delta Teflon Cables

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    These seem like well designed/constructed cables, but I can only comment on the operation of the front brake cable which was smooth, precise, with good modulation. I can not comment on the operation of the rear cable because (see weaknesses)

Weaknesses:    Delta did not send me enough parts for a complete installation (missing 1 linear pull brake cable guide). No big deal except that I had to call on 3 separate occasions requesting the part. Delta seemed helpful at first - claiming each time to send the part.

Bottom Line:
The part never showed up - even though the third time that I called, I offered to pay for the shipping. So half the cable set is not usable because of a small plastic part.

Purchased At:   www.deltacycle.com

Similar Products Used:   Factory cables

Bike Setup:   Stock Specialzed Hard Rock

Submitted by EzE a Downhiller from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    This cable s**ks, it's crap period, the cable line frayed after one cut and it detangles ALMOST ALL THE WAY, On top of that the wire grouping is not a tight fit like the XTR or Gore Tex cables, AND the teflon is lame the coating is one coat so the cable becomes dry, I swear DELTA makes cables for Huffys'.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these go for XTR Shimano Cables you can get those cheaper then these rip off cables. I was in a rush to get them that's why I had to get a set, BIG MISTAKE SAVE YOUR $ get better ones. I recommend XTR cables very nice, even though some of the XTR parts break, I won't comment to many to name.

Favorite Trail:   MT. Davidson

Purchased At:   Freewheel cycles (Valencia)

Similar Products Used:   XTR Shimano Cables, and Ride-On Gore Tex cables.

Bike Setup:   1996 RockHopper Comp OLd school and other bikes.

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from maryland

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    teflon inside and out. low friction

Weaknesses:    hard to cut clean, even with a good pair of wire clippers

Bottom Line:
I have used these cables many times over and over only because they are the best cables performance bike sells, and I get free coupons for thier store. However, they don't last long at all. the housing has this really thick metal casing, that is hard to cut clean. Every time you cut it, the inner lining is kinked. The furruncles will not keep water out of the housing, so it will rust. These cables will work great for 2 months. Then they will cease and not work at all. Replacement every 2-4 months.

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   jagwire, gore rideon

Bike Setup:   shimano xtr front, back and brakes

Submitted by Warren Chan a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, good performance, lots of extra doo-dads like the little rubber o-rings that keep your top-tube from ringing.

Weaknesses:    Housing too short for disc brakes. If you are picky, note that the ferrule colors and o-rings varied between my brake and derailleur sets.

Bottom Line:
These are good quality cable and housing sets, but I hesitate to call them a real upgrade. They are a little smoother than regular cable sets, but not worth the amount I paid. Gore's sets are the best I have used, but they are extremely pricey. I would either stick with stock cables and housing, or take the big plunge and go with Gores. As mentioned above, they don't supply enough brake housing for a disc-brake set-up.

Favorite Trail:   Eldridge Grade

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Stock Shimano, generics, Gore Ride-On.

Bike Setup:   Too many to mention.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Competitive price. Customer Service.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Building up a new bike and thought I'd try some trick cables. Bike shop recommended these Delta Aztec cables. I Installed but came up short on the brake cable, because of the additonal cable needed to go all the way down to the calipers on the discs. I emailed Delta and they sent me the additonal piece of cable needed at no charge. Yes cut the cable with a moto-tool if you have one. The Park tool cable cutters also work but you have to clean up the end of the cable with a file if you don't have one of the little whiners. Also ream the end openning of the cable to round out the inner housing after you cut it. You have to do this on the cheapo cables too if you want clean performance. Three or four rides on the new cables and they work great. so far. If they stiffen up I'll re-submit. They deserve the full boat for the customer service alone.

Purchased At:   Cycology

Similar Products Used:   Stock Shimano XTR cables and generic cheapo cables

Bike Setup:   3D racing - all XTR - Avid discs -

Submitted by smokey a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    same as my first report last year. cables have needed zero
maintenance and still work perfectly. i'm pretty picky about
the shifting on my bike and these cables make for really slick shifting.

Weaknesses:    same as before. you just need to have the right tools to cut
them, especially the housing. a park cutter or dremel work well.

Bottom Line:
have been using these cables for a year now and they still perform like new. have been through dust, mud, rain, snow, and some pretty good crashes. they were a great buy, many other aftermarket cables cost more than twice as much.
i'm still pretty new to mountain biking, but have been a motorcyclist for 29 years and good cables are critical for
both of them. if you want to get the best out of those fancy new derailleurs and brakes, make sure you get the best
possible cables for them. in my opinion, the delta cables are a very good choice.

Favorite Trail:   lots of em, just enjoy riding

Purchased At:   jensonusacom

Similar Products Used:   stock cables.

Bike Setup:   fisher marlin, SRAM shifters and rr derailleur, shimano LX
fr derailleur. avid brakes and SRAM 7.0 levers.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Laramie, WY

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    Derraileur set is good -- slick, quick shifting.

Weaknesses:    Brake set requires a Dremel tool to cut housing.

Bottom Line:
As noted, I feel as if the derraileur set of cables and housing works fine -- significantly better than regular shift cables based on my mechanic skills. There's a chance that the Gore shift cables work a bit better, but not by much. The one thing the Gore cables did was last for 3 years with no maintenance required -- we'll see about the Delta set...

On the other hand, the brake cable housing is un-cuttable with anything I have, which includes a good Park cable and housing cutting tool. I'm sure nothing less than a Dremel tool would cut that housing -- so that's another $50 if you don't happen to have one already. Consequently, the brake cable set was a waste of my money.

So, I think the derrailluer cable set is worth the price and effort, but I'm disappointed that the brake cable set required a "non-standard" tool for installation.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on...

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Gore ride-on shifter cables, regular old brake cables

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    It's a cable system and it basically works

Weaknesses:    Weak TFE cable coating, housing falls apart

Bottom Line:
The TFE coating on the cables rubs off extremely easily. The brake cable housing's longitudinal wires, spiral wound flat wire, and plastic outer housing move around relative to each other as a result of the weak plastic ferrules' inability to contain the separate components of the housing. My 3 year old Shimano cables still have less friction than these new Delta cables. So far the shifter cables are working OK. ABSOLUTELY have to use a Dremel tool to cut the housing to get a smooth result. Not worth the extra $ or trouble. Either use Ride-On's or standard cables.

Favorite Trail:   Hooper Rd. Park

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   '99 S-works FSR

Submitted by Green Giant a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    mmm.. where to start. Not smooth right out of the box, stiction from hell.

Bottom Line:
The biggest waste of money I have spent on a cycling product over 15 years of mtbing. 40 bucks for a full brake and shift cable set. Installed properly, I used to run a shop and build up several bikes a year still, thought I'd give them a whirl. Took them off after one ride, causes spongy braking and tight shifting. Put on regular cables and housings, and bingo everything is all good. I would never, ever recommend these cables to anyone, especially for 20 bucks for a brake or cable set. Just horrible crap. Didn't render things useless, however when 2 dollar cables and 50 cent housing work considerably better they are a huge waste. Do NOT buy this product.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Regular shimano cables and housings

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Saltamontes

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2000

Strengths:    improves shifting and braking, reduces maintenance.

Weaknesses:    housing is much stiffer than stock so it is important to cut it to the correct length.

Bottom Line:
well worth the money! i think this is one of the single best upgrades that can be made to any bike. you will notice a difference, especially in your shifting. it's important to use the correct tools when installing. i used a park cable cutters for the cable and a dremel with cut-off wheel for the housing, then LIGHTLY rounded the hole in the housing with an awl. getting the correct length on the housings is important, too. went for a pretty muddy ride last week and it didn't bother my cables at all, ferrules did a good job of keeping out grit and mud. 5 big flamers for value and overall!

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocky creek crossings

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   stock cables.

Bike Setup:   see my other reviews.

Submitted by Quakeroats a Cross Country Rider from winnipeg,canada

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    teflon,stiff housing.

Bottom Line:
I dont understand what everyone is complaining about. If your not a hack mechanic, these cables should work flawlessly. The stiffer the housing the better. Dont these hacks know that flimsy housing makes for mushy brakes or shifting? Didnt think so.

Favorite Trail:   singletrak

Similar Products Used:   regular stuff.

Submitted by Mick a Cross Country Rider from Easthampton, Mass.

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    None that I could find!

Weaknesses:    Incredible lack of durability!

Bottom Line:
Upshifts on the rear derailleur were slow and unreliable, and I thought I might have a problem with cable drag. Although I couldn't find any real drag, I thought I'd treat my bike to a set of Teflon-coated cables, and I bought these. I installed and them, with new ferrules for good measure, checked for freedom of movement, and went for a test ride. The first time I went through the gears, shifting seemed OK. A couple more times and the problem was back - in fact, it seemed worse. Then I noticed that the front derailleur wasn't shifting properly either - and there hadn't been a problem on that end! I checked the cables and discovered that so much of the Teflon coating had scraped off around the ferrules that my housings were so clogged up with the debris that proper shifting was impossible. I’d ridden less than a quarter mile, and gone through the gears three or four times! The dealer I ordered them from was willing to replace them, but why replace crap with crap? I went to a local bike shop and bought a set of no-name plastic-coated cables, for about a buck and a half each, and had no further trouble. Maybe I should’ve been wary when I saw these cables listed for about a third of what Avids go for. The old saw about how you get what you pay for comes to mind, but in this case I didn’t even get what I paid for – I got nothing but worthless crap. One flaming chile only because none isn’t an available option.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the woods

Similar Products Used:   No-name coated cables from a lbs.

Bike Setup:   Shimano Acera shifters and derailleurs, 21-speed with regular thumb-lever shifters.

Submitted by Val Atkinson a Cross Country Rider from Roseburg, Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Strengths:    Easy installation, no cable stretch

Weaknesses:    So-so cable ferrules

Bottom Line:
Have had these on my bike for 6 months now and they still shift great, and the cables did not stretch very much at all. They greatly improved the shifting of my 9 speed drive-train, which can be more finicky than 8 speeds. I would not use 9 speed shifters without these. I think good cables are one of the best upgrades for the money. I have not tried their brake cables since I have disc brakes. I am amazed at the people who will dump 2 grand on a bike and then use cables that are the same quality as those on a Huffy! If 25 bucks is too much money to improve one of the most critical areas of your expensive bike, then buy a pair and just use them on the rear derailler. Front derailler adjustment is not as picky, and uses less housing, so friction is not as much of a problem anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, Utah

Similar Products Used:   Gore Tex cables

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher X-Caliber with 9 speed LX shifters,and LX front, XT rear deraillers.

Submitted by alex a Racer from mnthome ar

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
tefoln coated

Weaknesses:
poor ferrule quality, factory places stupid ties on the cables when you take it out of package.

Bottom Line:
Works ok, shimano factory stuff wks as well. Guys in this post, listen you must use a dremel tool to install these. Once installed they have wked fine in mud and other conditions i cant tell a difference in the shimano stuff though. The first set i had i didnt use a dremel and had the same results as the guys listed-sticking rear brakes etc. Next choice will be CS Ferrules.

2 Years

shimano cables

OCLV xt

Submitted by Glad Vlad a Cross-Country Rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
work well (at first)
don't need lube (at first)
look pretty cool, all black

Weaknesses:
ferrules don't seal out mud
teflon wears off easily

Bottom Line:
Well, I liked them at first, and looked forward to not having to lube my cables. They worked really well until the first mud ride, which was admittedly VERY muddy. Aferwards, shifting is stiff, and rear brake barely returns (front is ok, since no ferrules/inner-cable are exposed). When I pulled the rear der. cable housing (the one in back) up, it was clear that mud had penetrated the housing end to end, and covered the whole cable. Wiped it off, but there must still be mud stuck in the housing. Going to lube them, which will probably work, but if I do that, I may as well have regular old cables. The system is ok, but the ferrules suck. And the teflon coating is not very durable -- suspect it will bog down everything before long. Going to see if I can get warranteed w/o a receipt. Might try Avid Flak Jackets, or better yet regular cables with CS sealed ferrules (brutal to pay $2 apiece for ferrules, but they are supposed to rock). Here's their URL. Check it out...http://nt1.adventuresports.com/product/ferrules/csrorder.asp?CustType=Retail

3 months

regular cables

Dean (top tube routing), XTR stuff

Cables - Teflon versus steel?

Are teflon cables better and maintenance free compared to steel cables? Have heard that lubing steel cables over time leads to some build up and consequent stickiness, so better to use teflon cables that don't require any lubing. Any truth to this? Does it carry the same for brake cables too?Read More »

Cables - Teflon versus steel?

Stainelss v. Teflon-Coated Cables

Time to replace my derailleur cables and housing and I'm debating between Jagwire Ripcord and Switch. The only difference I can gather is the Ripcord cable is teflon coated, whereas the Switch is just stainless. The cost difference is negligible, so my only concerns are whether the teflon-coated p ... Read More »

Gear cables with or without teflon ?

What do you think is better, running Teflon coated cables or simple cables with some lube (with maybe Rock Cable magic) from time to time? I buy a Sram Flak Jacket cable set and they came with no Teflon coated cables, and now I'm putting the Shimano coated or Sram no coated.Read More »

Teflon cables: lube them or not?

Just curious if anyone lubes their teflon cables. I have always done so with ss cables but have now ordered some teflon cables and teflon-lined housing. What should I do?Read More »