Home | Reviews | Cables | Delta

Delta Aztec Powerline Shifter Cable Set Cables

2.64/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Longevity, buttery smooth

Weaknesses:    Install is picky
Outer casing is unsightly after a while as it cracks and falls away.

Bottom Line:
I've been waiting for this system to fail in order to provide a fair review. I installed these shift cables 7 years ago. I broke a cable last night, up at the shifter, where the bend radius on the cable is the highest.

I agree with others, they were picky to install (from what I remember...it was a long time ago). The outer casing did get brittle and fall off eventually, but really it's only required to facilitate the initial install, it never affected the performance. I replaced the broken cable with a new Teflon cable, the inner sheath is still intact, since I fed the new cable through easily. It now works buttery smooth once again. The old cable was almost as clean as the new cable except for at the exposed ends.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Lea

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano cable set

Bike Setup:   Kona the King, XTR components

Submitted by Walrus a Cross Country Rider from South Korea

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    does what it says it will

Weaknesses:    outer plastic housing cracks eventually

Bottom Line:
I've owned these before and when I finally needed replacement cables a year and half or so later, I regretted not buying the same ones again. I bought a set of Alligator "semi sealed" cables as I am referring to them. They work great but they do not offer the same performance as the Aztecs. The powerlines are a fully sealed design...i.e. if installed properly it is EXTREMELY unlikely that any foreign substance that would hinder performance will ever reach your cables. In addition to the compressionless housing, there is a liner that runs the entire length of the cable. The outer plastic casing around the little metal ferrules will eventually crack but that is only a cosmetic issue. It will not affect your cable performance thanks to the liner inside the housing. I need to buy another set of these because the semi sealed system I have now has allowed water/moisture to get in them this summer. The moisture never drained I guess and now it's winter in Korea and my 10-15 commute to work usually results in me not being able to shift after about 5 minutes outside...the moisture actually freezes inside the housing and effectively disables my shifter cables!! Thank God I have hydraulic brakes instead of mechanicals...LOL!

By the way...I noticed a lot of complaints here about poor shifting. As one reviewer already stated...you have to follow the instructions to the letter. This cable system requires that you install PRECISELY the right amount of cable or they will not perform as expected. You will typically need to use a little LESS housing with this system than with normal cable housings. On that note...when installing them don't forget to turn your bars through the full range of motion when measuring the correct housing distance. Yes...it IS that critical. Once you get the install down, these things are awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Annadale State Park, Santa Rosa, CA

Purchased At:   somewhere online...d

Similar Products Used:   Alligator "semi-sealed" cables

Bike Setup:   Jekyll

Submitted by Dan a Downhiller from Annandale, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    The metal pieces make good beads.

Weaknesses:    The housing is a joke, those metal pieces fall out extremely easy, the housing will get twisted.

Bottom Line:
This product absolutely stinks, don't get it, it isn't worth the trouble.

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley

Similar Products Used:   Jagwire Pro L3 Ripcord, XTR, Avid Flak Jacket.

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possum XO
2008 Fox DHX 5 coil rear shock
2008 Fox 32 Talas RLC
Shimano XTR

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2008

Strengths:    Sealed Cables

Weaknesses:    Not Stable
Insufficient external housing

Bottom Line:
So far very disappointing. There was insufficient housing to do my Superlight. If I didn't reuse some of my Gore housing I would have been out of luck. And it's not like my SL takes a lot of cable. What they provided would have been insufficient for my Trek 5200 road bike as well.

As well, these cables are taking a long time to seat. I've had to adjust them each of three rides so far. I don't know if it's the little aluminum links that are settling, for if it's the cable, which seems a bit on the thin side.

I noticed Universal Cycles has the Gore cables, so it looks like they are being imported again. I love having sealed shifter cables, so I'll go back to the Gore if these don't work. They are pricey, but they work well in my experience.

Favorite Trail:   Wet and Muddy

Similar Products Used:   Gore Ride-On

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln Univ, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    "looks" like a good idea, no need for housing cutters, good product support

Weaknesses:    don't come with "grubs" to keep water and mud out of the ends of liner; housing is dimensionally unstable (thus requiring constant derailleur adjustment); lateral shifting of aluminum segments kinks liner, rendering them useless within a few months

Bottom Line:
I have used Ride-On's for years on this and my other bikes. After >6000 miles the ones on my Jekyll finally failed (due to crashes, not wear). I always keep an extra set of cables in stock, but after I used my last set of Ride-Ons a couple years ago I was dismayed to find that Gore had stopped making them. When I saw the Power Lines, I thought they would be a good substitute and bought some. So, when finally I went to use them, the first thing I found was they came with grossly insufficient length of housing. The good news, when I complained to Aztec they acknowledged the problem and promptly sent me another set with enough housing. The bad news, who wants to leave the bike in the shop for two weeks waiting for stuff that should have come in the package? When the parts came I installed them carefully and found: 1) they start out pretty well, but the slop associated with the segmented cable housing means that you will need to make frequent adjustments for proper shifting (which never, in my experience, really settled in); 2) they don't come with a "grub" like the Gore system uses to keep water and mud from entering the ends of the liner (especially important on the front derailleur of the Jekyll, whose cable feeds from beneath the bottom bracket and thus tends to suck up mud), but fortunately I was able to reuse the grubs from my old Gore cables; and 3) the plastic housing tube on the Powerlines that contains the little aluminum segments kinks easily. This allows the segments to misalign, pinching the liner and resulting in friction on the cable that quickly feeds back on itself. So shifting gets worse and worse. When I finally realized the housing was source of the problem, I replaced it (with my old Gore housing that I had never thrown away). That made the rear cable barely usable again, but it was too late for the front one, whose liner had kinked too badly. The good news: Gore has finally brought Ride-Ons back into production, although at a grossly inflated price, $60-65, and the extra cost seems only to have gone into prettier packaging. Still, 6 months (tops) for $40 Powerlines that never really settle in vs. $65 for Ride-Ons that shift beautifully from the start and last indefinitely? Stick with the Gore.

Favorite Trail:   Crack Head Bob (before it was widened)

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Gore Ride-On

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 1000

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Chester County, PA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Nokon knockoff- look cool. Neat idea.

Weaknesses:    Lots

Bottom Line:
Look up "garbage" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of these things next to this definition- "things that should be thrown away". First off, they don't provide you with enough housing to outfit a modern FS bike (they're on my Blur XC). You'd think for $40 (remember, most cable sets cost $15) they'd give you enough housing to actually use them (they instruct you to order and extension kit for an additional $20). Second- they're frustrating to install- I spent half the time chasing little aluminum barrels across my basement floor (my fault, but still a pain). Third, the cables BARELY fit in the black plastic inner liner. I could hardly push the cable through it- I'm surprised they work at all. Once I “broke them in” they seemed to work ok for awhile. They needed to be adjusted after a couple of rides like the instructions said- no problem. I almost decided I liked the cables until my bike started shifting horribly last night. It seems that the clear plastic outer tube isn't very durable. The tube on the loop at my rear derailleur cracked. I didn't crash, didn't hit it on a rock, it just cracked. Now the cable kinks at that location. $60 plus the hour for installation/chasing the aluminum bits around with a 1-month service life.. I'd have to label this one of the most disappointing purchases I’ve made in a long time. DON”T BUY THESE!!!

Favorite Trail:   lower ho-chi-minh

Similar Products Used:   Avid Flak Jackets, Jagwire, LBS specials, etc

Bike Setup:   has a frame, fork and wheels.. oh, and gears, crank, brakes, and pedals...

Submitted by Steve Nilsen a Cross Country Rider from SF/Ca

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2008

Strengths:    - Won't fade performance with time.
- Maintenance free.
- Doesn't need lubrication, and even that way it is smoother than regular cable and housings.
- Lighter
- Compressionless

Weaknesses:    Price, but worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
I can't believe how bad you're rating these cables. It is the best system I've ever used and performs much crisper and effortless than regular cable and housings, even the XTR which contaminate as well as many others. Goretex get rusty with time.

It is not hard to install. It is much easier than bleeding your brakes.
You have to measure and mark with a pen where are you going to cut, every housing segment. Then place the entire housing as it comes from the package on a table. Use a sharp blade to make a flat cut betwen 2 pieces. Add one aluminum piece to every segment you cut and slide it until there is half of each piece exposed to to each end and press the housing ends. This step is very important if you want a perfect install. That is the commom mistake for those of you who refered 'flex or shrink' of the system.
Do EVERYTHING in the table and you won't lose the small parts from the outer lining.

Add the cable to the shifter, slide the cable cover/liner and make that a straight line. Then slide all 2 or 3 housings you have prepared. Now place every housing on the frame stops.
The rest of installation is identical to what you're used to.

I have installed these cables on my 3 bikes, the older has 2 years, and performs like new. I usually ride in mud and rain, so I'm not a 'roadie' mountain biker. This system is flawless, just need care during installation.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Goretex

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter

Submitted by SOGOAK a Cross Country Rider from Chicaaga

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Segments give like crazy and have tones of give in the system.
Water got in the outer housing and made it cloudy.
"Liner" is brittle and comes out.

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY THESE! Guys in our forum where down on them saying they are just hype. They are worse, they are a pain to put on and use.

When I was in PMart, Another guy was at the service desk getting new cables for the same reason.

I got a brand new set of shop grade cables for $16. I'll just stick with these and swap them every year.

Your money is best spent on real cable cutters.

Purchased At:   PMart or Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Teflon Cables

Bike Setup:   96 Klein Pulse Comp, Manitou Skareb Super, Thompson post/stem, Easton Moneylite riser, king headset, Sram X.9 twisters/shifters, x.0 Cassette and chain, Avid Arch Rival/Speed Dial 7 brakes, WTB Rocket Stealth Team TI Saddle, Ritchey ROCK/OCR Rims 32 Hole Laced to LX hubs.

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    outer houseing easily cracks

Bottom Line:
the outer housing cracks way to easily therfore exposing the inner cable to contaminants, any kind of maintenance that would cause these cables to bend to much even briefly will crack open the outer houseing, what a shame because my shifing problems have been cured with these cables, following instructions results in good performance, the end ferrules need to be flush with the inner housing, takes some very careful trimming.I plan on trying other cables that are more durable...xtr cables work well enough.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   xtr

Bike Setup:   2005 heckler, 2004 ibex trophy

Submitted by Greg peplinski a Cross Country Rider from calgary, ab canda

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
these are pathetic. good idea, impossible to mount (figure 2-3 times the work normal cables) shift on par at best, overpriced total crap. would like delta to refund me as i have ridden them maybe 30 min then went home and tossed. dont bother to buy these. if i could give it -1 chili for ripping me off, i would.

Purchased At:   mec

Similar Products Used:   normal cables+housing

Bike Setup:   cannondale jekyll 1000

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    great idea, look cool, good crisp shifting when adjusted correctly, inner cable is isolated from trail dirt and stays clean

Weaknesses:    A little difficult to install, Requires daily micro adjusting, especially the rear derailleur cable,always the same way, needing lengthening of the cable housing, my guess is that the inner cable is weak and is constantly stretching.

Bottom Line:
they work well, but they always seem to require micro adjustments, if you can put up with that then you will love them

Favorite Trail:   Ribbon

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Yeti

Submitted by Kent a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Sealed cable housing, teflon coated cables, cool looking, great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Outer casing cracked.

Bottom Line:
Picked these up on Ebay to give them a try, thought they looked cool and the concept is sound. The first problem I ran into was the kit did not come with enough end pieces to complete the job on a full sus. frame. Delta, however sent me some more, free of charge. Everything was going well until I noticed the outer casing cracking near the shifter pod. In all fairness to the Delta Co., this may have happen as a result of a spontaneous dismount. There have been reports that the kit does not come with enough cable. I would say that this is a fair complaint and one that the company needs to address. The kit comes with barely enough cable for a medium Heckler without even a centimeter to spare. Measure-Measure-Measure then cut and pray. So the bottom line- I am recabling with XTR for one reason, XTR housing will not crack. If in the future Delta will make the housing on the Aztec powerlines more durable than I will buy them again, if they could manage to add about 5-7 extra inches of cable/housing to the kit, that would seal the deal.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz full suspension.

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Great theory... no housing wires to protrude. Cable is 99% protected from the elements

Weaknesses:    Not long enough (and I did order the longest set they had). Slow service. Translucent outer casing cracked.

Bottom Line:
They look cool. Initially, they perform great - though with that said, I was forced to portion housing much shorter than needed because the "kit" was not long enough for the Titus. A call to teh Customer Service # had me initially *paying* for extra housing to finish the job right... but three weeks later, and I still had no housing, so they agreed to send it to me no charge. Then, when I checked this morning, after having the cables on for almost 2 months, I see the housing is beginning to crack!

Bottom line - These are the most expensive cable sets around, you would expect that a) they would be long enough to cover all applications, b) if not, their customer service would acknowledge this and send you extra cover/links no cost c) the housing would last longer than a couple of months (noted: the housing only keeps the links lined up for installation - once installed, the links are tight enough that the housing is only ????

I feel badly writing this review, because I know others have had good success with this product - but I would think others would need to know the downside too.

Favorite Trail:   Uh... singletrack?

Purchased At:   on-line