Home | Reviews | Cables | Delta

Delta Aztec Powerline Brake Cable Set Cables

Submitted by Al Gould a Racer from Ct.

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    "0"

Weaknesses:    ferruals create flex factor and lost of direct power

Bottom Line:
Don't waste the money!!!!!!!!!!! Installed excatly to directions... You can not beat the best....Campy or Dur-Ace..Stay with them and save yourself some good money, you'll only end up going out and replacing them with Campy or Dur-Ace...

Their idea is good but the amount of spacers (ferruals-joints) only adds flex to the overall lenght of cable defeting the direct power applied that you want to respond from your BRAKE.

Purchased At:   mail order

Bike Setup:   Litespeed "ULTIMATE"

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Federal Way, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Trick Looking

Weaknesses:    Flawed concept. Super finicky to install. Not durable. Vague brake feel.

Bottom Line:
I run Mechanical disc brakes and was thought these looked cool and might give better performance. Took a couple of hours to do the brakes and the Cables. Took a couple weeks for my wife to forgive me all the swear words she heard coming from the garage. I heard these were hard to set up, but considering myself a good bike mechanic I didnt let it deter me...I should have listened. After finally setting them up, I was rewarded with bad performance, and my rear brake line fell apart after only a few months...and this is my backup bike! The cables kink and split just by looking at them...stay away!

Favorite Trail:   Ranger Creek

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Standard cables

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Joker set up for all mountain sram XO drivetrain.

Submitted by SOGOAK a Cross Country Rider from Chicaaga

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    cool idea

Weaknesses:    Segments give like crazy and have tones of give in the system.
Water got in the outer housing and made it cloudy.
"Liner" is brittle and comes out.

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY THESE! Guys in our forum where down on them saying they are just hype. They are worse, they are a pain to put on and use.

When I was in PMart, Another guy was at the service desk getting new cables for the same reason.

I got a brand new set of shop grade cables for $16. I'll just stick with these and swap them every year.

Purchased At:   PMart or Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Teflon Cables

Bike Setup:   96 Klein Pulse Comp, Manitou Skareb Super, Thompson post/stem, Easton Moneylite riser, king headset, Sram X.9 twisters/shifters, x.0 Cassette and chain, Avid Arch Rival/Speed Dial 7 brakes, WTB Rocket Stealth Team TI Saddle, Ritchey ROCK/OCR Rims 32 Hole Laced to LX hubs.

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    Different?

Weaknesses:    Poor construction, poor materials, poor performance.

Bottom Line:
My first experience with the bead-type cables was with Nokon, but their lack of a housing other than the Aluminum beads made me try the Aztek beaded housing. BIG MISTAKE. While the Nokon cable housings are machined aluminum that fit together perfectly and absolutely DO NOT move when pressure is applied, the Aztek beads are cast aluminum and don't fit well at all. When you squeeze the lever, the aztek cables move all over, meaning your finger effort is wasted on the housing instead of the brake. The aztek cables really strike me as something that someone from marketing put out to jump on the "beaded cable" bandwagon. Their absolute lack of quality has made me feel that I should never EVER buy anything from whatever company owns Aztek ever again.

If you really want absolute stopping power in your mechanical disc brakes, NOKON cables really really work well.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Nokon Cables

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee FR, king hubs, 203mm avid mechanicals, xt/xtr

Submitted by badger09 a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Strengths:    Packaging looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Just awful. Incredibly fiddly to install. It took me 2 hours to get these on, and after a few short rides I stripped them off again. The brakes feel spongy, the casing is soft and tears/cracks. I have no faith in them holding up.

Bottom Line:
With an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of sets of these cables you might be able to install them to the manufacturers fine tolerances and reap all the benefits of slightly different looking cables. Don't bother, life's too short.

Favorite Trail:   That one.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano.

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup,WA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Weaknesses:    Housing desinigrates quickly. It's clear thin plastic tubing. Cracks easy from the sunlight.

Bottom Line:
These didn't last long. Put them on in the summer and they never made it to the winter. The concept behing the housings seemed good, but they appeared degrade from the sunlight. It took about three months of riding and then I noticed the tops of the housings cracking and falling apart. Wish I had better things to say.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by EzE a Downhiller from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    NONE!!!

Weaknesses:    This cable s**ks, it's crap period, the cable line frayed after one cut and it detangles ALMOST ALL THE WAY, On top of that the wire grouping is not a tight fit like the XTR or Gore Tex cables, AND the teflon is lame the coating is one coat so the cable becomes dry, I swear DELTA makes cables for Huffys'.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these go for XTR Shimano Cables you can get those cheaper then these rip off cables. I was in a rush to get them that's why I had to get a set, BIG MISTAKE SAVE YOUR $ get better ones. I recommend XTR cables very nice, even though some of the XTR parts break, I won't comment to many to name.

Favorite Trail:   MT. Davidson

Purchased At:   Freewheel Cycles (Valencia)

Similar Products Used:   XTR Shimano Cables, and Ride-On Gore Tex cables.

Bike Setup:   1996 RockHopper Comp OLd school cables are on XTR V-Brakes and I also have other bikes.