World Class Ti Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.86/5 (37 Reviews)

World Class Ti Bottom Bracket

Submitted by dewrox a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely Light, Very Durable, Sealed (14 years and counting)

Weaknesses:    Absolutely None

Bottom Line:
I have nothing but good things to say about the World Class Ti BB. Like I said above... I have been riding on this BB for over 14 years with absolutely no problems. I have never had to do ANY maintenance on it whatsoever. It is still fully sealed and works just as it did the day I installed it. It was the best $135 I have ever spent. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone from the novice to the expert.

Favorite Trail:   That is a well guarded secret.

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   The only other BB I have ever used was the Shimano that I broke 3 months after buying my bike.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi hardtail

Submitted by Robert Kayne a Racer from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Strengths:    Unbearible

Bottom Line:
I got it in 1997 and for almost 10 years now, what did I do? For all these years I replaced the ball bearings only once. Those that do not own one, too bad!

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Bike Setup:   Extralite.com hardtail

Submitted by Speedemon a Racer from Seattle, WA USofA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer and have been a liscensed mechanic (USCF/USA Cycling) for the past 10 tears. This BB is one of the best I've ridden, and I've ridden a LOT of bikes. I'm sorry, but if you're spending this kind of money and think you can wrench on your own bike, you don't NEED directions included! Use any good Ti prep and torque to Barnett's or Park's recomendations and you're good to go!

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Ultimate w/ Dura Ace
GT Zaskar LE w/XT

Submitted by slbenz a Cross Country Rider from Fremont

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Strengths:    Very light with smooth operation

Weaknesses:    A little flexy.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a very light bottom bracket that can stand the test of time, look no further. I have been using the same bottom bracket for going on seven years now! Four of those years included XC racing and numerous stream crossings. Using my digital Pelouze scale, it read 144 grams for the 113mm length bottom bracket. Never had it creak or loosen at all the seven years I have used it. My only suggestion is to not use it with a very light crankset such as Topline. The combination is very flexy and I only weigh 155lbs. If it is mated to a Shimano crankset, no problem with flex. Definitely happy with the product.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   1995 Sycip Full Suspension
2001 Trek Fuel 80

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from Sagamihara, Japan

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    It does what it's supposed to and it's wicked light!

Weaknesses:    It wasn't free (pretty cheap for ti however!)

Bottom Line:
This BB was very easy to set up. Adjustable chainline is a plus. Make sure that you put some teflon tape on the cups and crank 'em tight! I weigh about 175-180# and haven't had any problems with squeaking or flex. I have been running the BB for a little over six months now and pulled it out last weekend for service and everything was as it was when I installed it.
The standard that I hold bike parts to is this: If some maggot stole the bike today, would the replacement bike have this same part? Answer on the BB is YES.

Favorite Trail:   Hinode

Purchased At:   Mud, Sweat & Gears

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Race Face Cranks

Submitted by Belmont111 a Cross Country Rider from Wickford, RI

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiff, sealed (time will tell...)

Weaknesses:    none so far- but not that much time in it...

Bottom Line:
Bought this second hand from a friend who had no problems with it and was parting out his rig. Put it on with new Caramba Doublebarrel cranks and I think that I have the stiffest drivetrain know to man. No loss of power on a pedal stroke for me!

I have only used it for a month or so, and the spring melt-off will be the true test- but so far has performed without the creaking or leaking (knock on wood) that some other reviewers have noted. I will be sure to amend my review if any of that happens. In the meantime- gonna ride it hard!

Favorite Trail:   Mt Toms- Arcadia

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-72, Race Face Cro-mo

Bike Setup:   GT Xizang Ti with a whole lot of goodies set up the way I want it...

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Strengths:    Durable, reliable, light

Weaknesses:    None known

Bottom Line:
Ordered the first one in 1997 and it saved quite a bit of weight over the cheap OEM model, ran much smoother. It's still in there, working away. Second one Jenson sent me accidentally after I sent them $50 for a cheaper ti model, they said just keep it. It's in the AMP, still working away flawlessly. I will never buy any other ti BB as long as these work so well.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-72
Specialized

Bike Setup:   1997 Specialized FS
1998 AMP B-5

Submitted by David a Racer from many places

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light...smooth bearings.

Weaknesses:    A little play directly off the shelf. Creaks. Loosens up.

Bottom Line:
I was able to cure creaking and loosening problems by torquing beyond specs by 4-6 ft-lbs. Used loctite on the spindle face and anti seize on the cups. Once the bearings wore out I simply pressed the old ones off of the spindle and pressed new ones on for about $10. Much cheaper that buying even the cheapest BB. It has been bomb proof since. The cups have worn slightly from having to retighten.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   used with raceface cranks.

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from berkeley, ca

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    beautifully made, solid workmanship. took it apart after 2 yrs. expecting it to be thrashed. it was smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom. nice work.

Weaknesses:    seal drag is high, but whaddya want?

Bottom Line:
i'm 190#. this bb holds up like a steel unit and takes a lickin'.

Similar Products Used:   shimano, cook bros.

Bike Setup:   heckler w/lx cranks

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    light weight and smooth.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. 225 pound rider and no problems what so ever. a lot of hard miles on this b/b and I am now purchasing another one for new bike I am building.

Favorite Trail:   HARTSHORNE

Similar Products Used:   shimano xtr

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar team*manitou xvert-r*King h/s and hubs*kooka cranks.

Submitted by Desmond a Racer from La Marque, Texas.

Date Reviewed: December 25, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight,adjustable chainline, easy to fit using standard tools, extra seal in cups,smooth running, low drag.

Weaknesses:
Bearings may be a little too light for heavy riders, option of a heavy duty bearing might be a good idea

Bottom Line:
I have to say this bottom brkt. has done much better than the others I have used. The one that came on the bike when it was new only lasted a couple of weeks, the bike shop replaced that with a sealed Shimano, which made it for about a year before developing a lot of play and crunching noises. The World Class has been on the bike for about two years and until a few weeks back I never gave it a thought which is how it should be.My first sign of a problem was an occasional loud crack from somewhere in the drive train, then the big chain ring would start to rub on the front derailleur.The bearings still seemed to be turning smoothly but there was a lot of transverse play. I called up the people at World Class and they said to send it in by regular US. Post and they would take a look at it. I called them again after a couple of days to verify that they had it, they said they had replaced the bearings and it was already on its way back to me.
It seems that the inner race on one of the bearings had cracked allowing the spindle to slide from side to side.I have to say that getting this kind of no questions asked service is pretty rare these days, and this is after two years of hard use on the local Norba courses.I have not experienced any of the other problems mentioned and have used both Sugino, and more recently Kooka cranks and rings.Just for the record I weigh about 165lbs.I have to give these people max praise for this product and servce, plus I have not seen a bill, not even for the shipping.

Ruston, La.

2 Years

Shimano, and whatever that piece of junk that was that was in my bike when it was new.

Cannondale, with Indy SL Rock Shock, Kooka cranks and rings.

Submitted by LittleD a Racer from ColoradoSprings, CO

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light Weight

Weaknesses:
Hard to set-up. Not sealed, bearings fail.

Bottom Line:
Had to use loctite thread locker between crank (RaceFace) and Spindle, cups and bearings. Anti-Seize on cup and screw threads.When the Manitou got stolen I had finally dailed it in. I did notice the bearings got rougher everytime I had it apart.On the Supergo after 6 months and two rainy rides (with no bottom bracket dunking) the bearings seized. This also took a while to set-up. I'll let you all know how the warranty is handled.

more than 3 years

Answer Manitou & Supergo Access Max

Submitted by Adam D a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight and no problems so far.
Instals with Shimano tool.

Weaknesses:
It costs alot

Bottom Line:
No problems with this BB. It wasnt cheep, but
it works good.

Old style RF.

Submitted by KEN a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA.

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, smooth action.

Weaknesses:
Have had to tighten cranks arms a few times. A bit pricey but what Ti bb is isn't?

Bottom Line:
I am right at the weight limit for this BB and have had no problems. This piece has been bombed hard on trails all over GA, Tsali and even Moab with no glitches.

Tsali State Park, NC

1 Year

First Ti BB

Specialized FSR, XTR Groupo, Judy XC Long Travel.

Submitted by IH a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to install, quality construction

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
Only reason I posted is because product has been remarkably trouble-free. Installed it 2 years ago and have never taken it apart since. No creaks or anything. I ride pretty gnarly trails, and in all kinds of rain and mud. So far, so good.

Mongoose Alta SX, Quadra 21R fork