White Industries Cro-Mo Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

White Industries Cro-Mo Bottom Bracket

Submitted by mohouli a Weekend Warrior from glendale, California, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    I have the Titanium version, and I have had it for 17 years. The set-up is very light, and it works fine.

Weaknesses:    The bearings rust readily, I don't ride in water, I guess the water comes in when I wash the bike.

Bottom Line:
The setup is very light, and White Industries will give you replacement bolts for it if you need them. Enduro Max bearings are easily found. Don't use the titanium crank bolts, they may gall, so replacement will be imposible to do.

Favorite Trail:   Lukens

Purchased At:   Montrose Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I used a WTB bottom bracket the first time the bearings rusted out. Suntour, Shimano, Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Titanium hard tail Shimano XT, and Suntour

Submitted by Marcus Ward a Cross Country Rider from Warrensburg

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    flawless dirt seal, easy installation

Weaknesses:    none that I know of

Bottom Line:
I've got the titanium version. This bottom bracket has been on my bike for what, 8 years now? I recently took it apart after not maintaining it for 5 years and it was fine, the grease seal was still solid and the bearings were fine. I don't ride through lakes, I think I'd check it if I did that. I weigh 250 lbs and it doesn't flex much and seems solid. I've ridden tons of xc on this thing and it's bombproof. Love it. I don't know if I'd use this for downhill bombing but it's great for xc.

Favorite Trail:   chubb

Purchased At:   cant remember

Similar Products Used:   shimano cartridge

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper m2 blah blah lx/xt, the usual suspects.

Submitted by guy grimsley a Cross Country Rider from d.c.

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    I got the Ti spindle had it installed and forgot about it

Weaknesses:    after 4 years of maintinance free xc riding I rode through a lake(3 to 4 feet deep 200 yards long) and 2 months later the sealed bearings finally went.Started freeriding and bent the Ti spindle

Bottom Line:
For xc hands down no complaints ,but not for freeriding ,I think I'll try a phil wood next

Favorite Trail:   fountainhead,or any 4'or biggerdrop

Purchased At:   conte's bikes

Similar Products Used:   first aftermarket bb

Bike Setup:   kestrel rubicon ,jr.T ,hope xc4 disc ,hope hubs , mavic 317 ,xtr shifters/cass.der. ,monkey lite bars ,rider's #170 and 6'

Submitted by joe a Cross Country Rider from carmichael CA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, adjustable chain line.

Weaknesses:    Weak, soft aluminum used in cups. Bearings are not sealed well. You can only remove one seal (unless you you want to press out the bearing) which makes it difficult to service the bearings.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is the last time I buy a product just because it's light. If you are a little guy who weights 135 or less you may be able to use this BB without trouble. Rudy, up there lives in New Mexico and thats why he thinks it's well sealed. I've used it for one winter/spring in norcal doing a few wet rides and the bearings are shot(not happy). "k" is weekend worrior so it doesn't get much use, and no you can't addjust the chainline with the cranks on. Take my word for it get a sealed BB like a syncros, only 35grams more(8 seals).

Similar Products Used:   shimano/ syncros

Bike Setup:   specialized, SID,Kooka bonnies,WTB lazerbeams

Submitted by rudy a Cross-Country Rider from albuquerque

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
finely machined
durable
spins like nothing else
adjustable chain line

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
the ti version of this bottom brachet has been on a merlin for 5 years. It is absolutely the best bb i've ever used. smooth, easily adjustable, finely machined well sealed.

more than 3 years

too many too mention

merlin

Submitted by K a weekend warrior from Kansas

Date Reviewed: March 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had this bottom bracket on various bikes over the past few years, and I can say that I've been nothing but pleased with its performance. What really makes it nice is the super simple chainline adjustment. Simply loosed 6 tiny allen-head pins, lightly tap the spindle or crank (this can be done with the cranks installed!) until the required position is attained, and snug up the allen pins. The bearings have always been, and remain, buttery smooth with no slop whatsoever. Sure you can spend huge bucks on a stupid light Ti BB, or just buy good long lasting reasonably light stuff that will outlive the framesets they're installed on. This is one great no-frills product.