Truvativ Sealex Spline BB SL Bottom Bracket

2.48/5 (40 Reviews)
Weight : 230 grams

Truvativ BB's. Featuring the ISIS Drive System, Our spline BB's are 25% stiffer with twice the strength* which means you'll spend more of your time on your bike... not in the shop.

• CNC machined AL
  • Sealed cartridge
  • Hard chromed spindle

*as compared to a equivalent square hole crank and bottom bracket.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chino a Cross Country Rider from Murrietta, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2005

Strengths:    Set it and forget it!

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
    This BB is one of the few components that I have NOT changed on this bike! I've broken the rear derailleur, fork, front wheel, front rotor, pedals and upgraded many of the remaining ones. If you face the BB shell and torque it properly, (with a quality wrench and in small steps instead of maxing it out in one go with a cheap torque wrench) it will last. I've ridden in the rain, through river crossings that were knee deep, in adobe mud, and dry, dusty conditions without performing any maintanance. These BB's (ALL ISIS drives)require finesse and attention to detail during the setup process. I have a similar setup on my 2004 roadbike (FSA carbon cranks and FSA BB) with zero maintenance also. Note- you don't absolutely need to torque it to the max spec, make sure it spins freely with no lateral play, but you do need to recheck it after the first ride or two. Afterall, you don't pump your tires to the max rating before you ride, do you?

Favorite Trail:   Vail Lake, Temecula

Purchased At:   Came with bike, Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Race face SRX ISIS drive, FSA ISIS Drive

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Pro, 50% upgraded. Came with my Truvativ team Stylo crankset.

Submitted by Mike L a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Strengths:    Hmm, not all that light; compared to other high quality BB out there (such as the Platinum Pro Ti and Signature Ti). To be honest, I can't think of any strengths.

Weaknesses:    I thought this was a very nice BB when first got it. It seemed very good and promissing. After only 10km ride, the bearings were shot. If you turned the crank, it would stop after 2 - 3 turns. I took it out and turned it by hand and it wasn't smooth at all.

Bottom Line:
    I had this BB with my Stylo Team, which has been doing very well. The stylo team is light and very strong, I love the crank. Which is why I don't know what happened to the BB... I guess I got a melon or something... I didn't expect a Truvativ BB to be that crappy.

Submitted by Dan R a Racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Its a bottom bracket that holds my cranks on. Is ok for weight. Lasted two years of nasty northeast rain and mud.

Weaknesses:    Hey it lasted two years, so that seems ok to me.

Bottom Line:
    I see a lot of reviews of ISIS brackets that are negative. Maybe I'm a lucky one. This lasted two years of nasty mud and muck and stream crossing that went over the bottom bracket. Two years for a $40 BB is fine by me.
    Heck Every year I have to buy a new chain, new cassette, new chainrings, cables and housing, so whats the big deal about a new BB.
    If you tool you bike yourself, it isn;t a problem.

Favorite Trail:   Any with dirt

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Sh1tmano.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Stupidlight at 23.5lbs.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from ID

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    The potential of the shared technology of ISIS

Weaknesses:    piece of Sh$&

Bottom Line:
    Had this BB for one year. Noticed that it was never smooth, even out of the box. Also, as someone mentioned below, the install/removal "teeth" are very easy to round or sheer off....
    The BB is now deteriorating noticeably. You can feel resistance when pedaling. Have uninstalled/reinstalled, made no difference.
    Bottom line, this is a cheap BB.... Haven't inquired about warranty, but doubt it would help.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   full spectrum of Shimano

Bike Setup:   one with a cool seat and two tires.......it even has brakes....

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, CT

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Strengths:    Still going after a year of use.

Weaknesses:    None yet. (Fingers crossed)

Bottom Line:
    Still going OK after a whole year of riding. Lots of water crossings, and rough trail abuse. No creaking or slop. Well worth the $35 I paid.

Similar Products Used:   Several types of ISIS Race Face BB's. They generally wear or the bearings wear very quickly.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS1

Submitted by Mark Harman a Racer from Dublin,Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light,i guess

Weaknesses:    Shoddy I.S.I.S design gives too many problems-raceface and f.s.a. are having as many probs with this design

Bottom Line:
    The B/B Devoloped play and grinding noise within 2 months on my cross country machine.I work in a bike shop so went to replace it.The tighting mechanism sucks.You have to use an xtr tool to take it out.The tool snapped the teeth clean off and the b/b 'teeth' rounded of.I know your gonna think It was my fault but I've done hundreds ot these things(b/b's) and these ones suck ass

Favorite Trail:   Three rock

Purchased At:   Cycle inn,dublin

Similar Products Used:   Raceface,F,S.A

Bike Setup:   Which one?.Muddy fox D'hill bike,litespeed obed c/country bike,Volume bmx

Submitted by Joe Case a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    ISIS Drive

Weaknesses:    short life span, not

Bottom Line:
    Came with the bike and is just about dead after 5 months of use. Guess it can last longer if you stick to fire roads and flat single track, but according to mech at the shop, just not designed to handle any kind of sustained bump or abuse. Started hearing slight grinding after a couple of months (about 300 miles), then just went downhill quick from there. Will give RF or FSA a shot next.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   03' Sugar 3+, stock Bonty Race Cranks, XTR, Mavic 223/XT wheelset, Duke XC U-Turn.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2003

Strengths:    good until it I could hear the bearing rattling around while I rode.

Bottom Line:
    Well, this was a great setup until recently when the BB started giving out. I got the tool, overhauled and adjusted it. After 1 ride it has slop again, but hopefully 1 final tightening will take care of this. My friend has the race face isis FR and he is having problems with that as well. I guess until chris king comes out with their BB we will just have to deal with constant overhaul/adjustment/replacement.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Rothrock

Similar Products Used:   regular old shimano BB's

Bike Setup:   Stylo team crankset.

Submitted by King Bernas from Quezon City, MM, Philippines

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    None beyond the fact that they fit ISIS drive cranksets, which by the way aren't any better then shimano octalinks.

Weaknesses:    "Sealed" bearings.

I went through two of these BB's in the past year. the first one developed play after around 6 mos but it was used in a bunch of adventure races, a 24 hour race & a lot of wet muddy rides so i guess that was understandable. the next one didn't last much longer though, despite the fact that i was more diligent with having my bike serviced around once a month during our rainy season (muddy, wet rides, river crossings, etc.) yet it still broke! worse it happend during the first day and 35 km into a three day 120 km bikeout in the Cordilera! it developed play, started squeaking before finally, literally grinding to a halt! i had to bail and take a long bus ride home while the rest of my friends rode on.

Bottom Line:
    While this BB has been on some set, muddy rides, it hasn't gone through anything that i haven't done on my old square taper Shimano UN-52, which by the way still works fine! i bought the ISIS FSA cranks & Truvativ BB because i was upgrading & wanted to try something other then Shimano. what a disappointment! the FSA's are great but if the Truvativ SL is indicative of the quality of ISIS bbs, forget it! they're expensive too! they're priced at the same level as Shimano XTR bb's, and a lot more then the XT/LX model!

i replaced the Truvativ w/ an FSA Ultimax Pro (only one i could get at the local shops since apparantly ISIS BB's are really hard to find here in the Philippines) that was at least the same price as the Truvativ SL (but still more then Shimano's. but i've learned my lesson though. as soon as i can afford it i'll be replacing the whole crankset/bb with Shimano

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-52

Bike Setup:   Aluminum hardtail, RST Aerosa AET fork, 8spd XT, FSA V-Drive ISIS cranks

Submitted by Chris H a Cross Country Rider from Doylestown, PA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    ISIS spline design, stiff spindle

Weaknesses:    Not cartridge bearings.
    Drive-side ring fractured (see reviews by Simon and Ade) leaving bottom bracket stuck in BB shell, chewed up mounting face of BB shell.

Bottom Line:
    I was perfectly happy with this bottom bracket, running with Truvativ Stylo Team cranks, until I began having troubles shifting on the front. Thought it was a problem with the front derailer. (it's only an LX) No problem, I can ride on the middle ring, ignored it. A little while later I discovered that it was getting difficult to spin. Turns out the crank had shifted all the way to the left until the rings were rubbing against the frame. The flange which has the wrench spots for tightening the BB had sheared off, allowing the BB to thread itself farther into the BB shell until the cranks hit the frame. This also managed to tear up the mounting face of the BB shell on the frame.

I managed to get the non-drive side cup out easily, but without the wrench spots on the flange, I was not able to pull out the bottom bracket. Using a combination of tools to jam the spindle, (as that is the only thing sticking out of the frame that I can use to turn the bottom bracket) I am working on getting the bottom bracket out so I can replace it.

In the meantime, I'll be staying away from the Truvativ BBs (even though I still love the cranks) and using Race Face.

Purchased At:   mail order

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Race

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Weaknesses:    Does not last long. Bearing grinding occurred after one year of racing.

Bottom Line:
    This thing broke after one year of use, and it is not one of the cheaper bottom brackets. There is no way to check inside without a special tool. This might be good for people that don't put too much pressure on the bracket, but then again this is mountain biking.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback at Reddick

Purchased At:   0

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100, Rock Shox SID, Float rear shock

Submitted by Seeker a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Still working, which is more than I can say for the other ISIS BBs I have tried.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Not the prettiest BB in the world, looks kinda cheap.

Bottom Line:
    This BB has performed well for over 3000 miles of combined road and offroad riding with no problems. It is the least expensive of the 3 isis BBs I have purchased, and so far the best.

My first isis BB was a RF which was retired in under 500 miles due to bearing failure.

I will post a review of my FSA isis BB when I get some more miles on it.

Purchased At:   40

Similar Products Used:   Race Face
    FSA
    Shimano

Submitted by Russell Hanna a Racer from Columbus,TX,USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Splined engagement very positive fit. Easily installed in frame.

Weaknesses:    Insufficient bearing surfaces, and poor sealing from elements. Very difficult to repack with grease.

Bottom Line:
    Went with Truvativ crank and bb. after hearing all the raves when they first came out. Should have waited until everyone else tested them. Back to the big S. tried and true.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill