Truvativ Powerspline BB Bottom Bracket

1.48/5 (21 Reviews)

TruVativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket. Proprietary spline design popular as OE spec with many moderate-priceTruVativ cranks. Proprietary spline design popular as OE spec with many moderate-priceTruVativ cranks Please note:This item is NOT ISIS Compatible Item Specifications BB Shell Width 68 mm Weight 305 g BBThreadType English Spindle InterfaceTypeTruVativ Power Spline

Submitted by ChewynMe a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2012

Strengths:    Will get you back to the car if not broken?

Weaknesses:    Noisy, rough rider, low-quality, proprietary

Bottom Line:
The PS BB came on my Trek Cobia. After my initial 4 rides I returned to LBS due to uneven pull from the crankset. Oddly enough, there was 5mm of play. This was 10 months ago before I spent so much time on MTBR learning about these things. Since that trip to the LBS, I have gone back 4 times and each I have had the same amount of play. This BB causes a loss in efficiency (especially on climbs), cracks/squeaks/squeals like there in no tomorrow, and collects dirt/mud/grime like a Dyson vacuum. I understand the price is not great, but neither are the prices of a decent BB30, GXP and even the Octalinks (which are similar) have better marks for about the same price. This BB going in my trash pile as soon as I can upgrade my crankset.

Submitted by phinx^007 a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Good commute Bottom Bracket

Weaknesses:    After a year it started creaking and it is near impossible to replace bearings or even grease them so if you have money to waste on a new bottom bracket every year go right ahead.

Bottom Line:
If it came with the bike, use it till it ceases and don't go out and buy this Bottom Bracket again if you can help it

Favorite Trail:   Suwanee trail

Similar Products Used:   campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon with Sram divetrain and a new Fox Fork

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from melb, vic,aus

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    Low maintenaince-good all round.

Weaknesses:    none experienced

Bottom Line:
Had no problems. bearings are fine after a year and never had any loosening of cranks or creaks from bearings. has withstood downhilling in the you yangs and all the punishment i put it through. i would recomend getting an external bb as the price difference isnt that significant if your purchasing a new bb/crankset. but as far as an internall bb goes-this and my fiveD cranks stood up to everything.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield comp trail

Purchased At:   with Bike

Similar Products Used:   deore lx bb and truvativ gxp

Bike Setup:   xc hardtail

Submitted by Erick Rico a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    I was atleast able to install my Candy C pedals. thats a + (lol)

Weaknesses:    It comes loose at every ride. My crank leg has fallen atleast 5 during the first week!! Even when I took it to get it repaired, I dint even told them what was wrong, and they knew exactly what had happened. ( The guy who fixed it said ' We get alot of these every week, its just normal' He fixed it by putting some bolt or someweird thing that is not normal.

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY! avoid bikes with this component at all costs!

I am looking for a new upgrade as soon as possible.

Purchased At:   Came with the bike.

Bike Setup:   06 iron horse warrior comp

Submitted by Cliffy a Downhiller from Layton, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    Good value.

Weaknesses:    Crap. It looses every couple of rides and started creaking in hot weather after about 6 months of daily use. Might hold up better on the road but short life span on off the pavement.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it unless you don't the have the money to but different cranks. If you do don't expect more than a season out it.

Bike Setup:   06 DB response comp. Truativ blaze cranks of course since those are the only ones that work with it.

Submitted by toasty mcsubs a Weekend Warrior from oregon

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    smooth tell it snaps

Weaknesses:    it snaped in half when i landed a 4 foot gap

Bottom Line:
the bb snaped in half and it did keep getting lose so its cheap and i dont recomend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   giga pipe that sucks too tho

Submitted by simon a Cross Country Rider from Newbury, UK

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2007

Strengths:    None that I can think of

Weaknesses:    After only 1300 miles it was creaking so badly it was driving me nuts. It came with the bike and has been used for daily commuting on roads and gravel tracks through the summer months. Hasn't seen any abuse in terms of mud, water, sand etc.

Bottom Line:
I really expect a bottom bracket to last longer than 6 months with less than 1300 miles of light duty use. Avoid.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT. Much lighter and lasts much longer.

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant Terrago hard tail.

Submitted by Billy a Cross Country Rider from RI

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    compatability

Bottom Line:
I mtn. bike all winter and usually trash two BB's each season with the snow, slush, mud and road salt. I also do some shoreline riding and pick up sand and salt water. The price attracted me to the PS and I had my shop install one. The crank bolts loosed up on the initial ride, I tightened them and the problem has not repeated. I grease and lube on a regular basis and have not had any noise. Not only did the PS get me through the winter, it is still going strong. For the first time ever I have had to replace chainrings before the BB. And, I installed a PS when I rebuilt my other bike.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   AL Hardtails, 100 mm fork

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Elkton, MD

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    This BB is what came on my bike. I was on my 4th one in a year and called it quits. I called Truvativ and they sent me their Style Pro Crank with the GXP BB, and it too has now failed after 1 year. They are sending me another GXP BB, which will be my last Truvativ product.

Bottom Line:
This BB is pretty much junk and I would not recommend them to anyone. They are not interchanable with anything.

Similar Products Used:   raceface,shimano

Bike Setup:   manitou forks, xt components(cranks & BB will be next). I try to ride trails daily.

Submitted by Andy Walker a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Well its gotten me this far but...

Weaknesses:    I just removed it from my bike to clean and it feels like its full of sand when I turn it. So I look to upgrade it online and then it hit me, I cant. Not unless I want the exact same piece o' crap. I feel betrayed by specialized and disappointed with Truvativ. I was thinking of getting a new truvativ crank eventually, the stylo 3.3, but i wont buy from swindler or cheat that takes advantage of me. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice? No freak'n way! DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY TRUVATIV PRODUCTS!!!!

Bottom Line:
Noisy, Heavy, Cheap, NOT REPLACEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RATING: ONE HALF OF A FROZEN COLD CHILI

Favorite Trail:   Landahl locally - Government in Colorado

Purchased At:   Freeride

Similar Products Used:   Nothing is similar to this piece of crap.

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper, Reba, SRAm X-9 drivetrain, Juicy sevens, Mavic Rims, and a crappy crankset.

Submitted by Jay Penev a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    It worked for awhile.

Weaknesses:    Started creaking after several rides in the mountains and progressively got worse.

Bottom Line:
Not only that I had to replace it with something better, I also had to get a new crankset , because the stock one that came with it did not fit the new bottom braket (the GigaPipe DH). Do not waste your time on buying it. You'll go through many of these and it's a pain to pull them out and put the new ones in. Not to mention the waste of time. It's cheap, because it's made with cheap materials and in a cheap manner. Go for the more expensive stuff (within reason, of course).

Favorite Trail:   Mount Emily, Eastern Oregon

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ GigaPipe DH.

Bike Setup:   06 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Submitted by jabpn a Weekend Warrior from Kalamazoo, MI, US

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Crank and rings have held up just fine.

Weaknesses:    Starting to get some creaking indicitive of a BB failure in the future.

Bottom Line:
This BB came stock on my road bike. So, how has it held up? For the most part, being that it's a entry level bike, not bad. I've logged almost 7,000 miles on it and it is still going. In short, the BB was supposed to be a sort of splined replacement for square tapers. This is not a typical splined BB like an ISIS or Octalink because the spindle in much closer to square taper specs and so larger bearings can be used which proportionally, ideally anyway, means longer bearing life. However, the bearings are cheap and the seal design isn't all that great. Being that this BB is entirely proprietary and sealed I found that I couldn't get better bearings. Oh well, but I wish I could have. OTOH, replacing the crank and everything else is an expensive alternative. For $20 I'll probably just get another. It's really not that bad, but again, I'm using this on a road bike so adjust your expectations for a mtn bike. The BB price is definitely cheap enough that it's a good value for it's longevity. Overall though it's a marginal product at best.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami

Bike Setup:   KHS Flite 300 - Stock

Submitted by Friedrich Leutz a Cross Country Rider from Mentor, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Strong Crank, hard worker

Weaknesses:    TOO Lose, too cheap, sounds like a soda pop bottle when it comes loose

Bottom Line:
It' a piece of crap which has to be tightened every two weeks and for what ?

Favorite Trail:   Any Road