Truvativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket

2.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Power Spline bottom brackets feature a twelve-spline tapered spindle utilizing the same heat-treated Cromoly.

Submitted by Roy

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2013

Strengths:    Taking a high stress beating that comes with single-speed cranksets

Weaknesses:    Heavy-duty means heavier too.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent low cost bottom bracket. I find it pairs nicely with the ss cranksets I've got it mounted with, which has a big chainring on it. The smaller diameter spindle offers more rugged larger ball bearings, which has lasted at least 2000+ miles for me. Not bad for a dirt cheap BB. It's not what I'd race with if $$s was not an issue, and time was paramount. But for my training fixie, and my daily commuter, this is the go-to arrangement.

The only downside (and why it doesn't score perfectly) is the annoyingly proprietary spline dimensions, which limits upgrade paths.

Duration Product Used:   2yr

Bike Setup:   single speed 54tx14t

Submitted by casamtb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    none that i can think of

Weaknesses:    creaks and wears out yearly

Bottom Line:
worst BB ever. bought a 2007 GT Avalanche 2.0 as a beater/urban assault/winter bike and I am about to replace the BB for the 5th time. it would be fine if the OE just sucked and I could replace it with a better one... but no. only one size for this uniquely POS BB.

Submitted by JJ a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, strong at the spline.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY! Cheap bearings and seals. NO performance replacement available!

Bottom Line:
While not a particularly bad BB, trying to find an immediate replacement when it does go out can be an issue. One that usually involves a two week special order wait. It is quite a heavy unit and there are no options to replace it with a lighter or better performing part. If you want to ditch the powerspline system, you also have to ditch your crankset so be prepared to spend some $$$$ if you head in that direction.

Favorite Trail:   Mr Toads

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, A/C, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Red Bike

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Strathaven, Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    This bottom bracket is utter ....., I am now onto my third one in as many years and the bike really only gets used for commuting.

Weaknesses:    The oil seals are rubbish and don't manage to seal the crap out of the bearings resulting in rust and corrosion inside the bracket which mean clicks and clangs when riding.

Bottom Line:
As soon as I wear out the truvativ crankset I will be moving to shimano, truvativ are the end product of the alimentary canal.

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree

Similar Products Used:   Shimano - any of them

Bike Setup:   two wheels, one at the front and one at the back.

Submitted by Steven Chebba a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2009

Strengths:    performs like any bottom bracket I have ever used

Weaknesses:    heavy like all bbs in this price range and cannot be used with other cranksets

Bottom Line:
After purchasing my GT I investigated the quality/price of some of the stock components and at first was disappointed to see how cheap this BB is and I know for just a little more money a bottom bracket gets a lot lighter (and to me the avalanche cannot afford to be any heavier) but it so far has performed well enough.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   Larry's Bicycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   shimano UN line

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0

Submitted by jdub a Downhiller from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Still running great

Weaknesses:    creaks

Bottom Line:
riding ss this bike takes a beating but the bb is the last thing I worry about great part, have run it over 4000 miles

Favorite Trail:   Northbank

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   square taper

Bike Setup:   05 hardrock SS

Submitted by gmrv4 a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City MO USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The BB bearings started to growl and grind after 2 years use. Went to several LBSs to replace, only to find out they were uncommon and low quality OE installed stuff. We finally found the correct replacement as I didn't want to spend the money to change out the cranks to a more common spline pattern.

Bottom Line:
When buying a new bike stay away from anything with a Powerspline BB.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl Park

Purchased At:   OEM with new bike

Bike Setup:   stock Giant Rainier

Submitted by Brakebreaker101 a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Durable

Weaknesses:    Creaks

Bottom Line:
I love this bottom bracket. It has lasted well over 3000 miles and is still running smoothly. I plan to replace my cranks but keep this BB.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack