Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL Isis BB Bottom Bracket

2.57/5 (21 Reviews)

TruVativ Giga PipeTeam SL bottom brackets Features and Information Giga Pipe is a massiveTi or heat-treated CroMoly spindle for increased stiffness Precision full-complement sealed cartridge bearings M15 crank bolts inlcuded (unless noted) RequiresTruVativ installationTool,TL2340 Three bearings withTwo on drive side for extra life Item Specifications BB Shell Width 68, 73mm Weight 243 g BBThreadTyp

Submitted by IMT_trailrunner a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Um, does it have any? I guess that it actually does work when you initially put it on. After a few rides it is a POS

Weaknesses:    Too many to list. The seals must be sieves. And the bearings seem to be cheap POS

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this type of BB in the southeast, Utah, and the PNW. I have not found a location that they will live past a year of usage even in moderate amounts. If you really ride hard... you may get 6 months though not likely. I got about 6 months of quality usage here in the PNW before killing the most recent one. Granted I rode rain or shine on trails that have perfect conditions for trashing bearings, i.e. very fine silt. But they are sealed right? Um not really. Unless you ride once a year on pavement in sunshine steer clear.

Favorite Trail:   anything steep

Similar Products Used:   Other truvativ BB trash such as power spline. FSA Mega Exo and Ultegra Hollowtech II

Bike Setup:   Ibex Alpine 550, Shimano SLX 3x9 shifters and derailluers, Hope/Stans Flow wheelset

Submitted by marquism2 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    It's fairly light and shiny

Weaknesses:    Bearing and seals

Bottom Line:
I've never had a bottom bracket just completely freeze up on me and I have been beating on BBs for a long time. I got caught in the rain and dried off the bike when I got back. Next time I went to ride it the BB was locked solid. Naturally I took it apart. On the two-bearing drive side, the INNER bearing was rusted solid. That's pathetic for the minimal amount of water to which this bottom bracket was exposed. I was going to replace just the bearing, but I decided not to throw good money after bad and will just get a different bottom bracket.

Favorite Trail:   If I told you, you'd ride there and I can't have that...

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much every other type and brand of BB

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 2x9

Submitted by mikeymorris a Downhiller from lasalle

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    works amazing! bearings are awesome!

Weaknesses:    it has no weakness'

Bottom Line:
this bottom bracket is byfar the greatest bottom bracket i have ever used, all though i am using it on my bmx cause i brake so many bmx bottom brackets, it still works perfect!

Favorite Trail:   forest glade skatepark

Submitted by chuk2rs a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Fits the cranks

Weaknesses:    wears out quickly

Bottom Line:
The DH version came on the bike, and wore out pretty quick in a dry riding environment. Got the SL because that's all I could find at the time. I think it's been 8 months and time for a new one. I see why they are obsolete. Time to get new cranks.

Similar Products Used:   raceface isis

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized P1

Submitted by scwman a Weekend Warrior from ohio

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    I used the BB for 4 years and never had a problem until a car accident ended bent the crank 1 inch inward and ended its life. I weigh 180 lbs and have smashed the bash guard into many rocks over that time. Bearings held up great. Maybe they have bad quality and I got a good set.

Bottom Line:
If you are a weekend warrier and price is a consideration then buy it.

Bike Setup:   GF cake 3

Submitted by thedailyrider a Racer from lakewood,colorado

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    it works good as long as you dont abuse it too bad

Weaknesses:    bearings loosen too much and it makes awful creaking noises and will eventually seize on you if ride too hard. not a very good design

Bottom Line:
this bottom bracket is good for light weekend riders and that is it. i am a hardcore commuter and have over 10,000 miles on my bike so i cant say its entirely the bottom bracket, but i have had this bottom bracket 3 separate times and they all did the same thing, even when i rode soft. i now have fsa platinum downhill and hopefully it will do the job.

Favorite Trail:   i love all trails

Purchased At:   all over the place

Similar Products Used:   fsa platinum downhill

Bike Setup:   fsa, shimano, tioga, wtb, raceface, funn, hayes, all on an ironhorse yakuza chimpira.

Submitted by Stacey a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Uhhhhh....

Weaknesses:    Bearings/Seals are ridiculous...I'm not even convinced it has bearings at this point!

Bottom Line:
Without any question, the worst product I have ever attached to a mountain bike.

I don't believe I even got 10 rides on this BB before it was finished. Now, to be fair it did still spin, as one reviewer described, when the crank arms are still attached (although it is very tight). However without the crank arms on, it was next to impossible to rotate the spindle with ones fingers. I did have a couple rides in quite wet/sloppy conditions, however I would expect a little better performance from the seals than this. In those 10 rides all the BB saw was moderate trail riding, no heavy downhilling, no real big hits, just typical trail riding.

After cleaning the BB up a bit it spins better, but still far from the way it should be.

My previous RF BB stood up to far more extensive abuse in it's couple years. I do not expect to buy another Truvativ BB anytime soon.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face OEM Splined (Prodigy perhaps?)

Bike Setup:   Heckler, Fox Vanilla 125, Truvativ Holzfeller, etc....

Submitted by John S. a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX , USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    It looks like a well-made, high quality product.

Weaknesses:    Quality/durability. It failed within one year of trail riding. I don't race and I avoid riding in wet conditions, yet the bearings became contaminated and got real rough. Even out of the box, I noticed the BB didn't spin as butter smooth like Shimano's BB do.

Bottom Line:
I would avoid purchasing this BB because it's bearing seals and durability are questionable and presently not comparable to Shimano's quality BBs. I wonder if it's just an ISIS-related design issue because I've read similar negative reviews of Raceface's BBs.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek Park; Muleshoe

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano BBs (E-type). Never had a problem with their products. Since I was in a bind at the time, I replaced it with a Raceface SRX BB: time will tell if their BB holds up better (or worse).

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized S-Works FSR with a Truvativ Team Stylo SL crankset.

Submitted by Bob H. from San Rafael

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Quite a bit of play, crappy single bearing design, doesn't use the shimano bb tool

Bottom Line:
Unless you can get a good deal on it, I would steer clear of this bb. The design isn't very good, and I've heard bad things about its durability, the play could also be a big issue if you have wide chainstays (crank hitting frame).

Favorite Trail:   Thousand S's

Similar Products Used:   various shimanos and campagnolos

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, Z1 FR SL, assorted components

Submitted by Tomas a Cross Country Rider from Gothenburg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, no creaking

Weaknesses:    Short lifetime

Bottom Line:
After having used this bottom bracket on my xc bike for one year it is no longer usable. It can be described as anything else than smooth. Caused by poor seals and/or bearings? Yes, it still spins but without the cranks installed you almost need a wrench to do it! Possibly it lasts longer only if you live and ride in sunny California, but in wet and muddy conditions: forget it!

The only good things I could say is that the bb seemed stiff without noticable flex and wasn't creaking.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98 -02 disc with plenty of x-tras, stylo team cranks

Submitted by Steveo a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff maybe

Weaknesses:    bearings and/or seals

Bottom Line:
Went Isis cause I bent my turbines and got a deal on the Truvativ cranks + bottom bracket. Unfortunately, after some good rides and one wet race, the bottom bracket bearing, non-drive side, froze. Totally soaked it in lube and got it running but have had problems ever since with the bearings not being able to handle wet weather. Now there's play, probably from wear on the non-drive side cone/stiff bearing. I'm just not into disassembly and BB lube jobs after every ride. SOOO, got a american classic with replacable/servicable bearings, and if this doesn't work will try race face. I've heard this is a problem with ISIS, but I've had a shimano xt octalink that has NEVER had problems, can shimano make ISIS????

Similar Products Used:   Shimano octalink, Raceface taper

Bike Setup:   Owl hollow, marzochi 80, sram, avid v,Truvativ cranks, cane creek wheels

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Strengths:    Still runs smooth despite lots of mud and clay over fall, spring, and summer.

Bottom Line:
I thought I suffered from bottom bracket or ISIS creaking issues. However, it was a mis-diagnosis that I battled in futility for 6 months. The Truvativ bottom bracket and crank set were actually creak-free. The driveline creak originated from my beefy rear wheel drop-out. It was slightly misaligned to my frame and I suspect the mounting bolts weren't tight enough. Now that I've solved the drop-out issue, my bike runs creak-free under the hardest pedaling!

I'd just like to say that Truvativ tech support offered suggestions to help troubleshoot the issue and were willing to stand up for their warranty. Dave Blackburn was a true gentleman.

The GigaPipe Team SL has taken some pretty serious beats at my hands. I ride aggressive XC with lots of rocks and roots and some drops around 2' - 3'. I've also used it for DH a couple of times. The BB is still smooth and spins effortlessly. No loss of containment, no grit.

I'm very happy with this product.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT square taper

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, 5th Element coil, Fox Vanilla 125R forx, Truvativ FireX ISIS cranks

Submitted by Carl-Arnold Wilke a Cross Country Rider from Stuttgart

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2004

Strengths:    Good brand image !!!!

Weaknesses:    The quality and endurance !!!

Bottom Line:
This BB was part of a Tomac 98 special pro which I bought in october 2003. From the first day on, I have had problems with creaks coming from the cranks/bottom bracket. After 3 months stress my bike dealer in Germany replaced this bracket and find out that all bearings are demaged. He recommended not to use another Truvativ Giga Pipe SL BB because other customers of his shop have had the same experience. Now I use a FSA Platinum pro BB and there is no problem.

Truvativ is doing a good advertising job, all the young kids want to have Truvativ products, because they are 'cool' but the quality is really poor!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Garda