Truvativ Giga Pipe Max TI Bottom Bracket

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

The Max Ti model uses a whopping 4 sealed cartridge bearings for maximum life and bearing impact strength plus a titanium spindle.

Submitted by mr. toad from A2

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    well I does come apart.

Weaknesses:    play

Bottom Line:
I thought this BB would be as good or better than my EB 71. 4 bearing and giga pipe, sound good. the thing had play after a month. I've put up with it for too long. Last night I took it out for the six month clean up inspection and took off a retaining ring. It looks like I can completely rebuild it. If I can get bearings from some one as cheap as I have for a set of wheels I rebuilt it might be worth keeping. The slop has got too much to put up with and I can't see any good replacements out there with out replacing cranks. thats too pricy for this year. I can't give it a one on the overall because it hasn't falled yet. Maybe there's HOPE.

Similar Products Used:   every kind except Hope.

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade Talas 04, trail toad set up. no wimpy xc race stuff except this BB.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Strengths:    Four sealed bearing sets, very stiff, stong, quite.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bottom bracket. It is VERY stiff and strong. It's snug and does not rattle, squeak, or anything. The spindle is huge. It is an ISIS interface so it is only compatable with ISIS interface cranks. When I put my weight into the peddling with my old BB the flexing of it was painfully obvious. That's gone with this BB. There is no flexing with this thing. I would recommend it to anyone!

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ square-type BB

Bike Setup:   2002 Mongoose Pro Zero-G3 with Shamano XT disc hubs laced to Mavic F219 disc rims, Avid Mechanic Ball Bearing Disc brakes, Truvativ GigaPipe Max Ti BB, Truvativ Holzfeller Triple Crankset.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Longmont, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Strengths:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I have not thought about my BB since I installed it a year ago. This is a good thing, because I have gone through several and none of them have lasted this long. No problems with noise. Great customer service from them. I called before my purchase and was told about their warranty and how they will stand behind their products. If you are near 200 lbs or more and have found that BB do not last long for you try Giga Pipe Max Ti! There are lighter BB, but all the lighter BB I have tried have failed in 6-9 months.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mountain, UT

Similar Products Used:   FSA and Race Face

Bike Setup:   Truth, XTR

Submitted by Daniel a Racer from Fairfax VA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Nada None Zip

Weaknesses:    Can't hear myself think over the noise this piece of crap makes. I've tried everything to shut it up!! Grease, Teflon tape, recommended torque, extra torque, and so on. If you make it to tight it takes effort to spin the crank because of the extra set of bearings, and if its as the specs say a grinding sound can be heard when spinning. I give up!!!

Bottom Line:
I'm not a newbie and i'm a pretty good wrench but I sucked it up and took the X to the shop to see if they could get it to stop scaring the wildlife and they gave up just like me. I paid a ton of money for this BB and its worthless. I gave it 2 chilis just because the crank does at least turn.
As you can see, my X is built with some of the best component's out there so it's not about the money. I now have a FSA and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Raceface, FSA

Bike Setup:   Racer X, FOX RLC fork, Crossmax wheels, Raceface crank(Turbine)/stem/bars(carbon)/seat post, Avid mech brakes, XO rear derailleur, X-9 shifters

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Ketchum

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Warranty Dept is alive and kickin'

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to the review below. When I originally tried to email Truvativ, I must have sent it to the wrong address. The second time, I sent it to the right address and Rob called me back the same day.
It seems that this problem has occured on a few ti bikes. The specs on the threads and bearings in the ISIS BB are pretty exact. So, some ti bikes apparently may need to have the BB shell threads tapped a little "deeper" to accomodate and not cause the drag on the spindle when tightened.
Rob hooked me up with the crash replacement program which was more than fair since this problem was not necessarily their fault.
After that experience, the warranty dept certainly gets 5 chilis. I'll give them another 5 to redeem them further after I ride the new BB a bit....

Purchased At:   warranty dept.