Specialized Elite Cartridge Bottom Bracket

Specialized Elite Cartridge

Submitted by Bender Jr. a Weekend Warrior from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything,only lasted 8 days then it bent and started to creak.

Bottom Line:
SPECIALIZED bikes are the best but i dunno why they would put that p.o.s on there bikes.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere where there is a cliff or jump

Purchased At:   roswell shwinn

Similar Products Used:   BMX,UN-72

Bike Setup:   HARDROCK A1 FS with new bars , tires,bashring,and NEW BOTTOM BRACKET.

Submitted by Jim K from Arlington,Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Had about 1500 miles on the bike when it developed the creak. Push hard on either pedal and the BB would creak. Removed the bottom bracket and I could see fretting where the removable ring mates with the other part of the assembly. Cleaned everything up and reinstalled with Locktite where the two parts touch. Creak is now gone. While you're at it, you can also carefully remove the seals and re-grease the bearings. Hopefully, I'm good for another 1500.

Bike Setup:   '99 FSR Comp

Submitted by Aiden Wrenn a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Strengths:    Difficult to say.

Weaknesses:    Developed a squeak within 8 days of fairly enthusiastic riding

Bottom Line:
Disappointed

Favorite Trail:   havana

Purchased At:   Hardisty cycles

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock A1 comp FS

Submitted by mikw a Weekend Warrior from cerritos ca

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Strong shaft. I am a heavy rider and have had no problems the shaft is still straight, even though I have pole vaulted a few rocks on some single tracks.

Weaknesses:    Sealed bearings didn't last very long and they arn't servicable.

Bottom Line:
I use my bike for both off road and urban riding and have about 3200 mi on it. This is one of the components that I didn't think that I would have to replace this soon. I am sure that Specialized had other choices when it came to what BB they would put on their bicycles.

Favorite Trail:   lower rock creek

Purchased At:   circle cycle

Bike Setup:   99FSR comp with suspension upgrades.

Submitted by TheVulture from 12 ny

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    It would make a good rust farm

Weaknesses:    It broke

Bottom Line:
The BB on my trek 820 was better. i am a jumper and this bottom bracket was creaking withn one month. Then f***ing thing broke in half. Otherwise the bike is bullet proof. i broke the seat off as well but that was my fault.

Purchased At:   The Planet

Bike Setup:   98 fsr comp

Submitted by Penguin a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo,NYUSA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Piece of Junk

Bottom Line:
I too was unlucky enough to have one of these on my 98 Specialized FSR Comp. In less than a month the bearings were shot! LBS had no problem swapping out to a UN-72, as they already knew there was a ongoing problem. Kudos to Precision Bike- I was back riding in less than a day!Un-72 has been on for two years-no problems.

Purchased At:   Precision Bike

Similar Products Used:   UN-72

Bike Setup:   98 FSR comp

Submitted by Dmitriy "Flip" a Downhiller from Bronx, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    It worked for a while

Weaknesses:    It didn't work good long enough.

Bottom Line:
This was a great piece of SH!T people. After like 4 months or so, it was creaking, I figured needs some grease, nope...I just needed a new BB. Whoever said Specialized is crap is a complete IDIOT, they just put crap components on their otherwise AWSOME frames! It broke on me after I jumped an 11 set of stairs.

Favorite Trail:   Van Cortlant Park

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Sport

Submitted by J B a Cross Country Rider from Alamogordo, NM

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    It makes a great leg strengthening tool once it starts to "break in"

Weaknesses:    pure crap

Bottom Line:
Specialized is hurting its image by putting these on their otherwise fine bikes. I discovered mine was toast about 6 months after I bought my bike, while replacing the cheap Specialized crank that was fastened to it. It no doubt had been worn out for quite awhile, it was grinding badly when I turned it. I actually raced on it, the added friction from worn out races and bearings probably added minutes to my time.

If your bike comes with one of these get rid of it ASAP before you hurt yourself or breakdown in the middle of nowhere. This product should listed in the Hall of Shame and Specialized needs to quit producing them.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm going to ride next

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN72

Bike Setup:   FSR XC

Submitted by Ian Brown a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2000

Strengths:    Heavy enough to do some damage if you threw it at the Specialized product selector

Weaknesses:    Heavy, seals don't seal.

Bottom Line:
It only took three months for this piece of garbage to go: it was a grinding, creaking, squealing mess.

When I took if off my bike, I peeled off the so-called "seals" to find rusty bearings reluctantly turning in a rusty race.

After dropping that kind of cash on a new bike, I'd expected the drivetrain to last at least through the first season, especially the BB. The Specialized frame is great, but they should leave component design to the grown-ups.

If I buy another Specialized bike, I'll make sure that any Big-S componenents stay in the showroom. If you're buying a Specialized bike, you should make sure that the Elite BB is swapped out, too.

Favorite Trail:   Kolapore Highlands

Purchased At:   Sporting Life

Similar Products Used:   Shimano BBs

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSRxc (now with a UN72 bb!)

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Creaks after 300 miles

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket was standard equipment on my '98 FSR Comp. After 300 miles of light riding started creaking, replaced it with a Shimano XT UN-72. A few months later I got a '98 FSR Elite (Max Backbone), a much more expensive bike with the same bottom bracket, same story after 300 miles. A few months ago I got a '99 FSR Elite, this time I didn't wait for the BB to fail, replaced it immediately (fool me once, fool me twice, but not three times).

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT / XTR

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR '98 Comp / '98 Elite / '99 Elite

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Strengths:    Came on the bike

Weaknesses:    Shouldn't have ever been on the bike

Bottom Line:
For the casual rider this might be sufficient. For a mountain biker who rides hard and rides long, this product is entirely insufficient. This creaks and carries on and it's been doing it since it was about three months old (believe me I feel fortunate to have made it this far). I plan on replacing everything with XT (crank set and BB). On a $1800 Stumpjumper Pro, Specialized could have at least spent the $20-$25 that it takes to put an XT BB on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado!

Purchased At:   Colorado

Similar Products Used:   LX/XT

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR

Submitted by Scott from Placentia, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    The pedals never fell off.

Weaknesses:    Waste of metal and man power.

Bottom Line:
The bottom bracket compliments the piece of junk cranks and rings that specialized puts on their rides. The bb came lose after 1 month of riding. The lbs tightened it but it didn't last long. Specialized would not do anything to rectify the bb or the crankset problem, nor would the lbs. I replaced it with the 2000 hollowtech crankset and es70 bb. Works great now. I love my bike but specialized deserves a drug test for putting this garbage on their product.

Similar Products Used:   XT es70

Bike Setup:   FSR Comp

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    It functions...

Weaknesses:    Creak, creak, creak, creak...

Bottom Line:
Didn't take long to start making a lot of annoying noise. Not broken yet... It'd be a good thing to plan on replacing it soon after buying.

Bike Setup:   '98 Specialized FSR

Submitted by Billy Woodward a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    it works, not very well, but it works

Weaknesses:    heavy, cheap feel, loss of effort in spin.

Bottom Line:
This is a piece. I never knew that such a cheap BB was on my bike. I decided to go with the '00 XT Crankset seeing how the Specialized that came with my Bike was flexing and the chainrings were wore out. When the shop handed me the my old BB, I was aghast. The bearing were already wore out and the thing weighed much more than the new XT BB that was going on. Specialized makes great bikes, but if I had known then what I know now, I would have bought a different brand bike just for the better parts. Cheap BB on a bike that retails at $1399 should be illegal.

Favorite Trail:   Any