Shimano XT Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.25/5 (51 Reviews)

Some wisenheimer will eventually ask us, "What?s the difference between the XT and XTR bottom bracket?" The answer is very little. We don?t have the means to measure the polish or super-polished races, the good or great ball bearings, or the PSI required to push water past the seals. The XTR cups are black, XT?s are silver.The Shimano XT Hollowtech II bottom bracket works with shells that are 68mm and 73mm and can replace any Shimano 50mm chainline bb. That includes all of Shimano?s MTB line, save cranks designed to work with the 150mm Saint rear hub.

Submitted by d from UK

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth,

Weaknesses:    Its SQUARE TAPER and snaps doing 4ft drops(frequently)(100 quid wasted on a xtr crank 8(

Bottom Line:
My advise is to never buy square taper your allways ganna snap them no matter how good the quality is and how much money you spend just dont buy,

I reccomend Hollowtech 2 or ISIS(dont last that long lo isis)

I have now snapped every single Square Taper BB and Crank ive owend im so glad Hollowtech and ISIS came out,

Im sorry but any square taper bb or crank gets a ZERO mark(but i cant leave zero DAM IT)

Similar Products Used:   Many other Taper BB

Hollowtech,ISIS

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    Solid reliable product. Doesn't leak or squeak and takes loads of punishment without a whimper. I have owned 3 and only replace when I get a new frame. I check em when I sell my old frames and they all spin smooth.

Weaknesses:    I guess they are not as stiff as the Isis or x-type but I can't tell.

Bottom Line:
I can buy whatever I want these days but I can't stand a noisy or unreliable drivetrain. This is by far the most reliable trouble free bottom bracket on the market today!

Favorite Trail:   Tule

Purchased At:   I can't remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Lx Isis toasted in 6 months and boy did that crank creeaaak!

Bike Setup:   Yet 575 with Marzocchi AM1 up front, swiss army knife of bikes.

Submitted by Sky a Cross Country Rider from Aiea, HI

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth, Strong, Quiet, & Long Lasting! Lightweight for a square taper BB.

Weaknesses:    None so far~

Bottom Line:
Great BB for $20, has lasted me since I bought my bike and got rid of the crap Truvativ BB that came on my bike.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, UN-53

Bike Setup:   '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion

Submitted by Stefan Baillargeon a Cross Country Rider from Bellefeuille

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    Very smooth, no more cracking noise...(so far)

Weaknesses:    none...

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied so far, I do about 100km per week of cross country (a bof free ride) and it is been running very well since I had it installed.
Hope that it will do as good as the original BB that was insatlled on the bike, in witch it lasted 2 1/2 year.

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Purchased At:   La Cordee

Similar Products Used:   did not used other brand since I changed the original BB for this one on my Cannondale F900SX

Bike Setup:   F900SX Hard tail, Lefty front suspension, LX/XTR SETUP

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Weaknesses:    None. Just the people that are using them the wrong way.

Bottom Line:
These bottom brackets do just what they are supposed to do. Keep your crankarms together and go round and round forever. I have 24000 km ( year round riding on salted roads and rain the rest of the year) on the X01 and 5000 km on the Klein and both are still as smooth as silk. It just seems that the retards that are breaking them are doing 5 and 8 foot drops are using the wrong gear. Duh!!! Open your eyes fellow cyclist's ( I have to be polite) and start using your brains. That is the bottom line!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere on 2 wheels.

Purchased At:   Bikefit

Similar Products Used:   Real(piece of crap), UN52 (good but heavy)

Bike Setup:   Trek X01, Klein Attitude Race.

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from Regina, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    Good product. No complaints. Smooth and fairly tough.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a good BB for cross country riders, and weak offroaders like myself. I've never had any problems, smooth as silk. If you're the kind of rider that's taking six foot drops, you'd better be ready to dish out for parts. There's nothing wrong with that style of riding if you have the guts and the coin.

Torque is measured in ft*lbs or N*m. It's exactly how it looks. Length from the joint multiplied by the force. The length MUST be measured at 90 degrees from the direction of the force. Unless you're 3D inclined, forget about picturing it or calculating it. Torque on a BB can occur in different directions, and the most is produced when you land with the cranks horizontal to the ground. This maximizes the torque due to the length of the cranks. Of course, this is the only reasonable way to land if you want to keep your boys intact. Landing with your cranks perpendicular to the ground will make the length of the cranks negligible, and minimize the torque on your cranks and BB. The longer you fall, the higher the downward force, and the higher the torque on your BB. No type of 3/4 inch metal can withstand someone falling six feet time and time again. It will wear, it will tire, and it will eventually break.

Purchased At:   Dutch Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Stock parts.

Bike Setup:   Kona w/ xt shifters, derailleurs, hayes disc.

Submitted by Theo DR a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Strengths:    Buttery smooth compared to my stock bb.

Weaknesses:    None found so far.

Bottom Line:
Left the bike shop with a big grin on my face after feeling the smoothness! Hasn't given me any problems so far, still as smooth as ever.

Purchased At:   Hup Leong

Similar Products Used:   Stock bb on my bike

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Sport

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Pleasanton CA.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap and reliable when used for its intended applications.

Weaknesses:    Wear out in about 1500 miles of 10-20% grades.
I wish Shimano would make them greasable, like the Micro-Lube on my SXR fork.

Bottom Line:
First of all; Shimano's quality has not dropped. When the UN-71/72 bottom brackets were first designed, free ride didn't exist.
Second; I wish I could still remember the mathamatical formula for FT lbs energy, because a 5+ ft. drop is a lot of torque to put on a piece of metal thats only about 3/4 inch in diameter, especialy if you add in the torque multiplication from the crank arms.
People have invented new and extreme offshoots of mountain biking, then complain that parts break.
I've got news for you people; Extreme versions of any sports that involve machinery, break parts on a regular basis.
The problem is made worse by the constant demands that said parts be made lighter. The manufacturers can't keep making things lighter and stronger, and keep the part affordable.
I find some of the reviews on this web site amazing, because people will admit things, like breaking a part when they crash, but they put the blame on the manufacturer instead of themselves. That people, is truly strange.
I don't doubt, that the people complaining about a good product, break a lot of parts other than the ones they are complaining about, in a paticular review.
Also; If you are doing "drops" you aren't a cross-country rider any more, you have become something else. People are doing 8 ft. drops and then calling themselve cross-country riders. Where did that thinking originate from?
I use my XT bottom brackets for cross-country use and have had no problems what-so-ever with them, even though I do jumps and weigh 210 lbs.
If you do extreme things on a bike, things are going to break.
Bottom line; this is a very good product for normal mountain bikers. I've had more expensive parts on my bike and they almost never last, and they don't usually save more than a few grams in weight, if they weigh less at all.

Favorite Trail:   Any East Bay Park.

Similar Products Used:   STX R/C, UN-71. Some kind of Race Face piece of junk, that didn't last one summer of riding.

Bike Setup:   FSR xc with; Easton Carbon Riser bar, F519 rims with DT hubs.

Submitted by Pascal from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Well, the XT square taper BB was cheap and the bearings are very smooth... Stiff untill it breaks Also, it is light which is nice.

Weaknesses:    This BB is dangerously week. It suddenly snaps with no warning at all leaving a sharp bit of metal that just rips into your ancle.

Bottom Line:
I have to give this POS the lowest overall rating possible because it really messed up my shin when it snapped off a 5 foot drop. I landed the drop perfectly so the BB really wasn't stressed that much when it broke.

On the other hand, it did turn my pedals for a whole year of intensive riding so I have to give a high value rating...

Favorite Trail:   Trials

Purchased At:   Eurotech Cycle

Bike Setup:   Norco Team Trials HS33 brakes, XT and XTR components

Submitted by Bobo D. Clown a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Durability, Smoothness

Weaknesses:    Weight, if you're into that sorta thing.

Bottom Line:
I see alot of discrepencies between the reviews here. From what I gather the folks having trouble are doing some serious drops or DH. I mean, how do you break a bottom bracket spindle?!?! Don't get me wrong, 4 to 5 ft high speed drops are no match for bobo and his custom dakar but anything beyond that and I'm wetting my shorts. Based on about 3 months of that kinda xc/freeride use the XT BB has held up fine. Plus for 22 dollars it's a pretty good way to go. 4 havelinos to Shimano for a solid product. Let's see if the XTR can get the 5 rating by cutting some weight

Favorite Trail:   Bobo is often spotted on most ocal trails

Similar Products Used:   White Industries Titanium BB. I'm not sure what madness induced me to sell it.

Bike Setup:   Bobo's Custom Dakar: See Bobo's review 2002 Jamis Dakar

Submitted by jensen fong a Weekend Warrior from hong kong

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    it work"ed"...and i m on my third one
it's smooth when it works

Weaknesses:    it broke and screwed my crank
it makes sounds

Bottom Line:
it's a weak piece of crap....and it seems that the older ones are better...

the first one lasted a few years and the second one lasted a few months..i m on my third one now and i dont know when it will die

btw....i dont ride hard

Favorite Trail:   tai mo shan

Similar Products Used:   none i guess

Bike Setup:   da bomb xlr8r, z1 drop off 2000 model, deore disc, d321 rims, middleburn crank and chainring, deore/lx derailleur with 8 speed hg casette

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Waterford, Mi.

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    What Strenghts?

Weaknesses:    It is, its own weakness. Broke a spindel, well in side of the housing.

Bottom Line:
Smooth but weak. 7ft huck in to a small table top... nice smooth landings and it spun right off... Took a huge chunk out of my Crank... Im on the light end to (145lbs) KING or Race Face... thats it. Bottom Line Shimano sucks.

Purchased At:   T&C

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   P.3

Submitted by Ryan Flanagan from Chicago, IL US of A

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    It came a pretty box

Weaknesses:    I do alot of pretty big dropoffs, and admittedly this is not what this product was intended for. Still, i would expect a product bearing the name "SHIMANO XT" to last a bit longer than a FREAKIN' MONTH. I was jumping off of a loading dock that was maybe six feet up and the BB snaps on the left side sending my race face crank (complete with shard of said bottom bracket) into my calf. I had to coast on my bike back to my dorm (foot on the other crankarm)with with a 3 inch gash on my calf, bleeding all over my shoes. Ryan was not pleased.

Bottom Line:
If you do urban assualt and/or trials get a raceface or something. Thats what im going to do. This BB wont hold up.

Favorite Trail:   urban assualt/trials

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Other bottom brackets whose names i am uncertain of. They were cheap but they didnt give me any problems.

Bike Setup:   Its an Azonic DS 1 with a sexy guy on the seat.

Submitted by drew a Cross Country Rider from england

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Strengths:    just keeps going and going

Weaknesses:    had the same one for 4 years with no problems

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket is tops in my book.Never creaked or complained at all.Had the same one for 4 years and it has delt with some harsh treatment.In that time have been through 2 chainsets,2 rear mechs,6 cassettes and many chains but this bottom bracket just keeps going.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere