Shimano UN54 Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

One piece cartridge construction allows fast and easy installation without adjustment. Sealed bearings keep dirt, mud and water out. Chainline stabilizer assures the crankarm mounts at the correct position on the spindle.

Submitted by miguelgcone

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, very strong and quiet, good for wet and muddy trails. once you install it you'll never hear a single creak, that's because it has a sealed cambridge

Weaknesses:    the plastic cup! when you install it make sure you don't overtorque it

Bottom Line:
it has to be one of the best bb, i installed it on my bike three years ago and it's still in good shape

Submitted by malibu marlin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    smooth action, inexpensive, solid construction

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Diamondback Overdrive 29'er in Nov. 2009, and ride give or take about 100 miles a week. Some weeks more, some less. The stock BB gave out recently (although in retrospect, it probably gave out 6-8 months ago, I just never noticed, nor did I ever make the connection as to why I was having to pedal so hard uphill - I thought I was just getting old!! hahaha!) But when I noticed it, I thought my chain got crudded up with the moon dust on the train, so made a mental note to clean and lube when I got back home. It wasn't the chain. The BB was shot.

I changed it out with the Shimano UN54, went for a spin on a familiar trail that takes me typically 1:45 to complete. The trail starts with a 4 mile moderate uphill, then rewards with a 4 mile roller coaster downhill. Right away I noticed how smooth the pedaling was, and I was climbing in one to three gears above what I was set at with the old BB. My time to complete the circuit was 1:15!

Lesson learned. I won't wait 3 years to change out the BB ever again.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mtns, CA

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet - West

Bike Setup:   2009 Diamondback Overdrive 29'er. OEM set up. WTB wheels, Tektro mechanical disc brakes, SRAM trigger shifters and derailers, Truvativ crank. Specialized seat.

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Price, durability

Weaknesses:    Weight, non-drive bb cup is plastic

Bottom Line:
Have beaten this bb to death and still works like I just bought it. This is THE quintessential budget bb for square taper cranks. Only White industries is better than the tough hombre. I am definitely buying more for the road.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabber

Submitted by rkj__ a Racer from Niagara Falls

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    It's not light, but for the price, I don't expect it to be

Bottom Line:
Fantastic product. I waited until the end of this product's lifespan to write a review,... I waited 5 years. I just replaced my BBUN54 today because it developed a little bit of play. It remained quiet.

This bottom bracket was flawless for 5 years or riding. It has endured so much. I only own one mountain bike, so it gets quite a bit of use. This BB lasted through many 1.5h, 8h, 9h, and 24h races, rainy 100km rides, sub-freezing rides, 3' drops, trips to the skate park. It has seen many bike washes after many muddy events.

This product is an absolutely fantastic value. For that reason I just replaced it with another BBUN54.

5 chilis.