Shimano UN 71/ 72 Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)

This maintanance-free bottom bracket is fully sealed, providing off road riders of commuters a no-hassle replacement bottom bracket. Perfect for replacing your worn-out bracket or for building your bike from scratch. Chro-mo steel and aluminum construction creates a high-strength, durable bottom bracket.

Submitted by jose luis spencer a Cross Country Rider from madrid

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, solid,

Weaknesses:    Weight... but so many people eating like worms and looking for a feather bike...

Bottom Line:
10.000 miles, I decided to upgrade, bought xtr... 2000 miles and broke (expensive but not 100% sealed and no warranty...), the back to my old bb for 12.000 miles more, a new upgrade, an incredible Race Face Deus... 370 miles and broke! Back to my old and cheap bb... Now after 8.200 miles I believe that I should upgrade because it´s starting to make little noise under high pressure, but... I am scare, so many baaaad bb out there!
30.200 smooth-miles with dirt, sun, snow, water, mud under 240 pounds... If you want a better BB don´t buy xtr or race face...

Favorite Trail:   Sierra de Guadarrama,

Purchased At:   Comes with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Race face,

Submitted by cougar a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Strengths:    Tough, no flexing, spins smooth, available in many sizes

Weaknesses:    none that i've experienced, although with any square taper, it's a good idea to check the crankbolts occasionally for tightness.

Bottom Line:
I honestly have no problem with the old school square taper BB. I have Octalink and ISIS on other bikes, and really don't see any big advantage. I'm onlt 150lbs. so I don't notice any flex. I think the square taper BB last a bit longer the the splined types. This BB only has one year and maybe 5000 miles on it, so I can't comment on long term durability. Had to take drive side of crank off one time because the BB was a bit loose. This was probaly my fault in not tightening it enough during initial insrallation. After tightening it back up, it's good to go! Spins smooth.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano octalink, ISIS

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 with rigid fork, other upgrades

Submitted by gertrudis martorell from Hialeah,Florida,USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I need 4 bottom bracket of shimano bike UN 72

Purchased At:   1338 west 80 st

Submitted by steve from ann arbor MI

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    very durable

Weaknesses:    a little heavy. not as stiff as current B.B

Bottom Line:
Very durable. I have had mine for 11 years now and it is still as smooth as when I first got it. Having worked at a shop i have seen lots of these B.B come through and have only had to replace a hand full.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   isis, hollowtechII, octalink

Submitted by Vince from Utah

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Strengths:    No Fuss it works....well. Spins smoothly, no maintannce so far. Works well with the first generation hollowtech cranks.

Weaknesses:    None, not the top flashy technology, the crank style is fading.

Bottom Line:
Works, If you can find a good square taper crank set, pick one of these up, they are old school but work great. If you dont care about having the blingy new stuff. Im replacing crank set with a custom octink crankset soon and moving this to another bike that im building. Im replacing the bb because its a 68 mm and I need a 72mm, what a waste!

Similar Products Used:   ISIS and OCtilink

Bike Setup:   2004 fsr xc specialized, 2004 fox talas, cane creek rear shock, hope hubs, hayes hfx 9 dh brakes, ritchey every thing else.

Submitted by chris anderson a Cross Country Rider from norwich

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2005

Strengths:    never have to worry about it.

Bottom Line:
i used this bb for eight years and never had a single problem. it came on my old mt. shasta tempest and i switched it over when i bought a new bike two years ago. This bb, and the stem are the only two parts still running on my new bike and i could be happier about it. I have heard so many negatives regarding the isis drives, and everyone loves these old taperlocks. i just wish it was easier to get a hold of square taper cranks these days, cause i would just keep running this bb. highly recommended.
happy trails.
p

Favorite Trail:   mah dah hey

Submitted by matt savage a Cross Country Rider from bend, or

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Strengths:    Indestrucible

Weaknesses:    NUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket has lasted me through 3 frames. It's a first generation XT BB from the first year they did 9 speed. I'm still running it today. I'm astonished, no, flabbergasted that it's lasted this long. It's been raced, "freeriden", and just plain old abused in the Pac NW mud and it is still running strong. XT stuff rules all the way. I just hope I can still find a square taper to replace it IF it goes.

Favorite Trail:   Voodoo

Similar Products Used:   NUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   Rad!

Submitted by royce a Weekend Warrior from onida,s.d

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    xt grade quality,way lighter than the OEM stx-rc that only lasted a few rides

Weaknesses:    I spose it wouldnt be much good to a freerider

Bottom Line:
the xt un-72 that came on my giant 980 carbon fiber full susp. has lasted flawlessely for 5 years.I figured when the cheap stx-rc whent to hell I'd go with a new xt unit and I'm happy and dancing again.Yay!

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   xt on my other bike,my other higher end jekyll has an lx on it from factory that has lasted 3 seasons

Bike Setup:   custom jekyll

Submitted by luke a Weekend Warrior from Suffolk, UK

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, very reliable, easy to fit, no worries

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none. Ever.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this BB to the ends of the earth. I've ridden this BB for 6 years through snow, rain, mud and not a murmer. I've never even cleaned the bike! It's the only part of the whole bike that still works!

Purchased At:   merlin cycles uk

Similar Products Used:   XT, STX

Bike Setup:   1980's Cannondale, Shimano Light Action Deore (still going strong), U brakes

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    it's cheap and it adds to smooth pedaling, it works for what it is made for, cross country

Weaknesses:    alot, after 3 months of use, the ole boy snapped on me and about sliced my leg open. This bottom bracket isn't as strong as these other reviewers are making it out to be. I only weigh 130 pounds for goodness sake.

Bottom Line:
too cheaply made, maybe mine was just a factory defect, but I seriously doubt it!

Favorite Trail:   urban ville

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Atl, GA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Super strong and very smooth. If installed properly will last a long time. Mine held up over 2 years before replacement. I replaced it with the same cause it works!

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest but its strong and works.

Bottom Line:
Highly reccomend if you want high quality and longevity. Make sure its installed properly and it will give you years of service.

Bike Setup:   Kona Ti Hei-hei

Submitted by Leotis Denetclaw a Weekend Warrior from Waterflow NM USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Availibity, XT product

Weaknesses:    Duribility, It did not last as long as I needed it to.

Bottom Line:
This product looked nice, I wanted to like it so bad, the cups kept pushing out, the bearings developed play it them, it lasted most of the summer. I am 240lbs and figure this was the penalty for my weight, that is until I tried RaceFace............It is the best I have used to date.

Favorite Trail:   Pinon Mesa