Shimano UN-26 Bottom Bracket

2.82/5 (11 Reviews)

The reliableShimano UN-26 is an ideal choice for bikes requiring a square-taper BB. DOES NOT include crank bolts

Submitted by Dr Dave

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2015

Strengths:    It's the very best low-cost square-taper bottom bracket available.
The not-so-smooth bearings are actually long-lasting, because of the design which puts bigger ball bearings in there, running directly on the machined housing and spindle. Only gets smoother with age.

Weaknesses:    It's pretty heavy, and bearings are not the smoothest. Plastic cup on the non-drive side may need re-tightening after first six months if used hard.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bottom bracket in this price range! If you want a lighter and smoother unit you can pay 10 or 15 dollars more for the even better UN-55 model.
Seriously, I've gotten years of use out of these. They are not made for big "drops" and stunt-style biking (NO SQUARE TAPER BB SPINDLE IS), but can handle a pretty good range of sane trail conditions.
Ignore the crybabies who didn't manage to keep their crank bolts tight, this has nothing to do with the bb quality. Hard riders doing jumps and drops need bigger pipe-style bottom bracket spindles.

Submitted by Nicholas Taevon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2014

Strengths:    I'm Not Sure About The Weaknesses Of The Shimano BB-UN 26 Bottom Bracket Due To The One On My Giant Warp DS 2 Has Been On That Bike For The 10+ Years That I've Had The Bike. I've Ridden That Bike All Over New York City. I've Ridden In Pennsylvania And I've Never Had A Problem. I'm Looking Into Upgrading The Drivetrain Up To A 9 Speed So I'll Get A New Bottom Bracket To Go With The New Drive train And Hopefully

Weaknesses:    None So Far

Bottom Line:
All In All I Have Had A Very Good Experience With The Product.

Favorite Trail:   The Eastern Seaboard

Duration Product Used:   10+ Years

Purchased At:   Bronx Bicycle Shop

Bike Setup:   Avid BB7 Disc Brakes, WTB Freeride Wheels, Slime Resealable Tires & Tireliners. WTB Kevlar Tires 2.0

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    low price. nothing else

Weaknesses:    I bought my bike 3 months ago. I ride about 300 miles per month.
So after 930 miles, I was hearing an awful cracking noise coming from the bb.
I went to my local bike shop some days later for another reason and
the technician mentioned that the bottom bracket needs replacement!!
It sucks!!

Bottom Line:
If anyone has an idea for a better quality bb to replace this one, let us know.
I don't want to put the same on my bike because it is cheap in both money and quality...

Submitted by MjH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    Stock supplied so I don't know price.
Suppose it should be fine for flat roads.

Weaknesses:    Not durable, worked 1300 km and started to crack.

Bottom Line:
Just okay to start with.

Duration Product Used:   1600 km

Bike Setup:   Merida TFS-300

Submitted by Yo Momma a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap as dirt

Weaknesses:    low quality

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for around 3 years, and have had little trouble with it other than the BB. It's got about 1500 miles on it, I don't ride much, mile or so a day, so I've stretched this one out, but it's pretty low quality. The seals don't last long, so crap gets in there and just screws everything up and makes this awful creaking sound...it's alright for the price, but if you're looking to keep it around more than a few months, I'd find something else.

Favorite Trail:   the sidewalk...

Similar Products Used:   still looking for one...

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 w/ Shimano everything

Submitted by Prophet a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania, US

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    No strenghts

Bottom Line:
I wanted to upgrade to a full suspension bike as I ride old logging railroad cuts throughout Pa and at 53 years old why beat myself up. The In Gear people have been great to me for more than 20 years and they pointed out a brand new 2006 Cannondale Prophet that had been in the box at a dealer that went bankrupt. Being as old as I am they know that the most I will huck is probably a 2 footer and that I never get out of the 22 chain ring. They also have ridden with me and know that these old logging railroad cuts take you to some pretty wild areas of Pa but they consider what I do hiking with a mountain bike and they know I climb a lot so the Prophet would be a good match up. The bike is great for me but the Shimano BB-UN26 bottom bracket is pure crap. I have a Phil Wood that has been on four mountain bikes and has never made a noise. Three areas you should never use 14 dollar parts on, your headset, your bottom bracket, and your pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Old logging railroad cuts

Purchased At:   In Gear

Similar Products Used:   Phil Wood

Bike Setup:   Cannodale Prophet 2006 - stock purchased brand new in April

Submitted by mucks a Weekend Warrior from split, hr

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
im a second owner of the two years old bike, with 1000+ miles, and my BB recently started to click. :( annoying.
to be honest, this HT still has experienced some molesting during few competitions.
BB is not expensive, so i'm planing to replace it with the same model.

had to put some rating, but actually, i had no other BBs to compare it with.

Submitted by arg2yr a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    It's a stock BB

Weaknesses:    It's a stock BB

Bottom Line:
Eh - I suppose that after 5k miles or so I would need a new BB - I'm just upset that this stock pos didn't perform better

Favorite Trail:   ARC bike Trail

Purchased At:   City Bicyle Works

Similar Products Used:   honestly the truvativ that I ride on my road bike is WAY better than this POS

Bike Setup:   Fixed

Submitted by Barry Leigh a Weekend Warrior from South Orange, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My experience with the UN26 has, unlike some other folks,' been completely positive. The Shimano BB was a world of difference i.e. SUPERIOR, to the no name stock BB whose bolts constantly came loose. The UN26 crankbolts have not loosened one bit after six months of use, and I'm an extra large size rider. I suspect that Shimano will phase out this model sooner rather than later, even though Square Tapper BB owners swear by this "old school" technology and often see no appreciable advantage/improvement provided by Shimano splined or ISIS BBs. My only regret is that you can't get a Shimano Square Tapper BB with metal cups anymore (can you?). Then again, the UN26 is so affordable that you can easily buy a replacement if/when it wears out.

Favorite Trail:   gravel and paved trails at the park

Purchased At:   Niagara Cycle Works

Similar Products Used:   The stock "made at a dark and unnamed factory in Red China" BB. Whoa, what a piece of junk!

Bike Setup:   Kawasaki KDX2 Full suspension. 7-sp SRAM trigger shifters, derailleur and cassette. Shimano Tourney TX71 Crankset

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    um.....yea......um....strengths?

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING! this bb is a complete piece of F#$King sh!t!!. It came stock on my bike and after 3 weeks it started making this horribly clicking noise and the bolts kept coming loose that holds the crank on. Well when i take of the cranks wat do i find... the square taper in the crank has been chiseled out!!! replaced the bb under warrenty but had to buy new cranks even though it wasnt my fault. ANd now my new one is starting to click!!!. No matter wat i put on the bolts that hold the crank on meaning loctite, solastic bolt glue they still come f$%king lose.

Bottom Line:
This bottem bracket is a complete piece of trash. I dont understand why shimano still make crap square taper bb's and cranks. Ill be glad when i get my new 07 Kona stuff that has nice big oversized bearings that can actually take a 1/2 foot drop of a stair and not start clicking or make the cranks come loose!
GO KONA AND OVER SIZED BB's