Shimano UN-26 Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

2.63/5 (8 Reviews)

The reliableShimano UN-26 is an ideal choice for bikes requiring a square-taper BB. DOES NOT include crank bolts

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    low price. nothing else

Weaknesses:    I bought my bike 3 months ago. I ride about 300 miles per month.
So after 930 miles, I was hearing an awful cracking noise coming from the bb.
I went to my local bike shop some days later for another reason and
the technician mentioned that the bottom bracket needs replacement!!
It sucks!!

Bottom Line:
If anyone has an idea for a better quality bb to replace this one, let us know.
I don't want to put the same on my bike because it is cheap in both money and quality...

Submitted by MjH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    Stock supplied so I don't know price.
Suppose it should be fine for flat roads.

Weaknesses:    Not durable, worked 1300 km and started to crack.

Bottom Line:
Just okay to start with.

Duration Product Used:   1600 km

Bike Setup:   Merida TFS-300

Submitted by Yo Momma a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap as dirt

Weaknesses:    low quality

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for around 3 years, and have had little trouble with it other than the BB. It's got about 1500 miles on it, I don't ride much, mile or so a day, so I've stretched this one out, but it's pretty low quality. The seals don't last long, so crap gets in there and just screws everything up and makes this awful creaking sound...it's alright for the price, but if you're looking to keep it around more than a few months, I'd find something else.

Favorite Trail:   the sidewalk...

Similar Products Used:   still looking for one...

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 w/ Shimano everything

Submitted by mucks a Weekend Warrior from split, hr

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
im a second owner of the two years old bike, with 1000+ miles, and my BB recently started to click. :( annoying.
to be honest, this HT still has experienced some molesting during few competitions.
BB is not expensive, so i'm planing to replace it with the same model.

had to put some rating, but actually, i had no other BBs to compare it with.

Submitted by arg2yr a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    It's a stock BB

Weaknesses:    It's a stock BB

Bottom Line:
Eh - I suppose that after 5k miles or so I would need a new BB - I'm just upset that this stock pos didn't perform better

Favorite Trail:   ARC bike Trail

Purchased At:   City Bicyle Works

Similar Products Used:   honestly the truvativ that I ride on my road bike is WAY better than this POS

Bike Setup:   Fixed

Submitted by Barry Leigh a Weekend Warrior from South Orange, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My experience with the UN26 has, unlike some other folks,' been completely positive. The Shimano BB was a world of difference i.e. SUPERIOR, to the no name stock BB whose bolts constantly came loose. The UN26 crankbolts have not loosened one bit after six months of use, and I'm an extra large size rider. I suspect that Shimano will phase out this model sooner rather than later, even though Square Tapper BB owners swear by this "old school" technology and often see no appreciable advantage/improvement provided by Shimano splined or ISIS BBs. My only regret is that you can't get a Shimano Square Tapper BB with metal cups anymore (can you?). Then again, the UN26 is so affordable that you can easily buy a replacement if/when it wears out.

Favorite Trail:   gravel and paved trails at the park

Purchased At:   Niagara Cycle Works

Similar Products Used:   The stock "made at a dark and unnamed factory in Red China" BB. Whoa, what a piece of junk!

Bike Setup:   Kawasaki KDX2 Full suspension. 7-sp SRAM trigger shifters, derailleur and cassette. Shimano Tourney TX71 Crankset

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    um.....yea......um....strengths?

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING! this bb is a complete piece of F#$King sh!t!!. It came stock on my bike and after 3 weeks it started making this horribly clicking noise and the bolts kept coming loose that holds the crank on. Well when i take of the cranks wat do i find... the square taper in the crank has been chiseled out!!! replaced the bb under warrenty but had to buy new cranks even though it wasnt my fault. ANd now my new one is starting to click!!!. No matter wat i put on the bolts that hold the crank on meaning loctite, solastic bolt glue they still come f$%king lose.

Bottom Line:
This bottem bracket is a complete piece of trash. I dont understand why shimano still make crap square taper bb's and cranks. Ill be glad when i get my new 07 Kona stuff that has nice big oversized bearings that can actually take a 1/2 foot drop of a stair and not start clicking or make the cranks come loose!
GO KONA AND OVER SIZED BB's