Shimano LP-21 Bottom Bracket

2.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Shimano LP-21

Submitted by Scorth a Downhiller from Norwich, England

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    Built like a brick!

Weaknesses:    Weighs More than a brick!

Bottom Line:
This thing lasted me from 2003 to present, with constant thrashing on it, and it served me very well. But, when it came to taking it off, it turns out that the plastic locking cup isnt meant to come off, as the tool completely ripped the splined face off of it.

Submitted by faronium polonium a Cross Country Rider from Cowtown, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Indestructo -- built like a brick

Weaknesses:    Heavy -- built like a brick

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket came factory installed on my Trek 950 8 years ago and has lasted until a month ago when I decided it was time to replace the playful, gritty thing with something better. Lo and behold the years of neglect were to make me suffer and the bb was siezed in the frame. After a lot of work (torch, breaker bars, liquid wrench, etc) I got it out, and get this; the rubber seals were still in fine shape (after torching!!) and although caked with rust, it looked OK.

This bottom bracket gave me at least 7 years of worry free performance commuting year round with the occasional race mixed in with a bunch of trail riding. The last two years of commuting on salted roads in winter did the thing in along with a lot of other things on this bike. I'm now a habitual bearing checker/thread greaser.

I doubt anyone would buy this part as an aftermarket "upgrade", so am writing this as testament to shimano's quality.

Favorite Trail:   bee sting

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   factory installed BBs on 70s road bikes -- still 'live and kicking

Bike Setup:   Trek 950 fully rigid with A slurry of stx-rc through deore to lx and a smattering of truvativ for good measure

Submitted by rusty from sacramento

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    absolutely none

Weaknesses:    creaks from pretty much day one, very noisy!

Bottom Line:
like i said it creaks and makes a lot of noise, the bearings felt very rough after about 3 months of riding on it, then today i jump a two foot street stepdown and snapped the spindle clean off, the nub left over lacerated the insde of my left leg and put my bike out of commission

anybody looking for a bike that is inexpensive to play around on steer clear of any with shimano bb's, they are crap

Favorite Trail:   anything that points down

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   ibex alpine 350, sun rhyno lites,rock shox psylo xc and 30mm downhill stem

Submitted by andy a Weekend Warrior from van nuys, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Strengths:    Adds extra friction to make you a stronger rider. You will feel turbo-charged after replacing this with a better BB. If this is on your wife's bike, you will become a hero after replacing this.

Weaknesses:    Another reviewer said that rocks were probably used in place of ball bearing and someone else said that shimano forgot to lube it. This had a stiff gritty feel from day 1. Most un-campy like ball-bearings ever. Replaced this with a UN series.

Bottom Line:
Replace ASAP

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, Campy, UN, others

Bike Setup:   fisher kai-tai

Submitted by Erlend a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    After 8 trips it went super non-smooth. This is the worst s h i t I've ever seen

Bottom Line:
who would ever buy this s h i t ?, I don't event know if it's possible to get hold off except for on stock bikes!! It s u x the big wang.

Similar Products Used:   XT (super good)

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher, JudyXC XT/LX/Deore, Answer riser bar

Submitted by Rocky a Weekend Warrior from Quebec

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    well..cheap, but thats not a strength

Weaknesses:    This is absolute crap

Bottom Line:
I broke it after landing a little jump off a set of steps and it broked right out, my left crank arm flied around and the part that was still on the bike lacerated my inner left leg..outch! (yeah, I had to go to the hospital) Don't ever buy this crap, for myself I'll buy a raceface all the way

Purchased At:   OEM

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Strengths:    Rotates, more or less. Less maintenance than an old cup & retainer ring setup. Keeps papers from flying off your desk.

Weaknesses:    Where to start...

Bottom Line:
This thing (LP-26) came stock in my bike - I rode it for about 6 months in pretty crappy conditions, during which I freely admit that it rotated as I pedalled. Now that I ripped it out of there to replace it with a UN 72, I have discovered that it is: heavy, cheap, rough, big and ugly. Hey, it's your mother-in-law!

Seriously, this thing feels like it has rocks for bearings. Except that rocks would be lighter, thereby resulting in at least some improvement.

If your bike came with one, ride it until it dies (soon) -- but under NO circumstances replace an existing BB with one of these.

Yeah, it sucks with gusto - but I don't blame Shimano. The real criminals are the bike companies that spec this piece of dung on bikes marketed for serious trail use. Shame!

Submitted by brando brando a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake, Utah USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    It is solid. It works. No squeaks after 2 years. Still tight. I have not performed any maintenence.

Weaknesses:    I guess it is heavy although I have not compared it to another because I haven't needed to remove it from the frame.

Bottom Line:
When I switched my dodgy suntour cranks to Shimano XT I was concerned because the bike shops were trying to get me to buy the new splined products. As I see it my bottom bracket was working fine and I didn't need to replace it, nor did I wish to spend the $50.00 to buy a splined BB. I had do search a little, but eventually got the XT square peg cranks for $120.00 and I got to keep my original BB that is going just fine after 2 years of daily riding and weekend beatings.

Favorite Trail:   Mill D Forth Fork

Purchased At:   Pedersons

Similar Products Used:   1 piece bearing cranks and whatever they put on SIS and DX equipped bikes.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 2.0 all XT components, Mavic crossride wheels.

Submitted by Chris Brown a Weekend Warrior from Hove, East Sussex, England

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Still rotates after 6 months.

Weaknesses:    Makes noise like an ice grinder! Very heavy.

Bottom Line:
No value if it doesn't last. There is nothing more annoying than parts that pack up early. A head turner for all the wrong reasons!

Favorite Trail:   Real muddy ones

Similar Products Used:   Too old to mention.

Bike Setup:   Cindercone, STX crank etc...

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Strengths:    This BB is built tough

Weaknesses:    It is heavy and does not like dry, grity climate.

Bottom Line:
This is a good BB. I am not sure exactly when it happened but the thing is grity and makes a lot of noise. It has lasted for a while but could have probably been replaced 6 months ago. Don't rush out and change it. Replace in a year with a Un model.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella