Shimano ES-71 BB Bottom Bracket

3.6/5 (15 Reviews)

Shimano ES71 Deore XT/LX cartridges and E-type cartridges Features and Information Fits FC-M752/M751/M510-8/M440-8 cranks

Submitted by David C a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    It works and have metal cups.

Weaknesses:    It's a throw away product like any other cartridge BB.

Bottom Line:
Had two of them (ES-70 73x118) stock on two bikes, both '00 GT XCR 3000. Both bikes were bought used not too long ago (a year for one and 2 months for the other). The BB on the older one started developing play in the bearings about 3 months ago. So after 12 years of moderate XC use. The other one still strong for now.

Ordered two ES-71 73x118 BB off eBay for $35. One for the first bike and a spare for the second bike. Hopefully getting another decade out of them coz the cranks (M571) are worthless without this exact BB. Hollow spindle means lower weight and that's the only difference between the ES-50/51 and ES-70/71. Is it worth the extra money to save the grams ? It's up to you and the deal you'll find. In my case the ES-71 was way cheaper than any ES-51 I saw (for the right size).

I've been though cheap Shimano BB's like UN-26 and such in a matter of seasons, but they are far away from the same quality as the ES-71. Be careful not to mix Octalink V1 and V2. The V2 has deep splines whereas the V1 has short ones. See Sheldon Brown's website here : http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#shimano

I only wish I could use another BB then this specific one with my M571 crank coz the crank will by far outlive the BB (5-8 years easy) and why throw away a nice working crankset ? Why no external BB earlier (like 2000's) ???

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Two stock GT XCR 3000, model year 2000. LX M571 crankset (triple & 170mm), 3x9 LX drivetrain and i-drive godness.

Submitted by Don Gillies a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    - removable ALU cups, left and right
- very valuable as a phil-wood replacement BB
- lightweight, hollow spindle
- probably the most useful BB that I own

Weaknesses:    - it's a cartridge bottom bracket, so higher friction
- higher friction = shorter lifespan
- not maintainable = shorter lifespan

Bottom Line:
This is a great bottom bracket, I've had great service from it an no creaking. I'm going to take it out and use some phil wood retaining rings to install it on a 1950 bicycle with a weirdo bottom bracket shell. If you have one of these, i'd save it for a very special bike like a 26 TPI raleigh twenty or a bike with rare swiss threads (or in my case, chater-lea BB shell.) Instead, use a UN-73 and save this BB for a very special project bike. Your only alternative is a $150 phil wood stainless BB, so these are a screaming bargain .. at the $28 (new) price I paid, I cannot complain at all ...

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Carlton 1977 Pro with Sakae Royal 42/52 cranks

Submitted by Alon Bout a Cross Country Rider from La Verne, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Lasted a few years.

Weaknesses:    Eventually it breaks

Bottom Line:
This is the third BB I have put into my bike. I don't take apart my bike to check components and only take it apart when I have to. I think it's resonable to buy a new BB every three years and my time was up. I have been looking at some of the other BB out there and wish shimano made more bomb proof items, but I am not willing to buy a whole new setup because of a 36 dollar part every three years.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall

Purchased At:   Incycle

Similar Products Used:   BB ES-50

Bike Setup:   Specializes Enduro Pro 02'

Submitted by Karl Nelson a Racer from SD

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light enough, strong enough, reliable enough

Weaknesses:    Creaks a little if you ignore it

Bottom Line:
Why would you use anything else? Theres nothing wrong with the original Hollowtech.

I've got 3 race seasons on this BB/Crank and besides occasionally tightening/greasing the bolts and BB cups, its been bulletproof. I'll ride it until the arms crack.

Favorite Trail:   Centennial

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   FSA 2 piece, old square taper stuff, etc

Bike Setup:   Fisher hardtail with XT

Submitted by Kyle Veal a Weekend Warrior from Wausau, WI, United Stated

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    none, no different, than any of shimanos other splined BB's

Weaknesses:    the product itself defines the word, weakness. It was the weakness in my bike

Bottom Line:
don't waster your hard earned bucks, this thing doesn't spin smothely for long and the spindle will bend/twist within a few good rides.

Purchased At:   had other BB's warrenteed for this one

Similar Products Used:   all of shimanos, and some FSA/truvative. everything but shimano I can get a good year of riding out of.

Bike Setup:   SS chucker 1.0 nothing is stock, all nice free-ride stuff. Pike 426 fork is amazing

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, no problems, and maintenance free

Weaknesses:    Squeaks time from time, but I am not sure if it's cranks or BB or the attachment of the crank. Anyway every BB+ Crank or integrated CRanks/BB will need to tighten time from time.

Bottom Line:
This BB with combination with XT cranks the older model is by me the best setup one can put on bike. You can get ES-71 + XT cranks for about $120.
They last for ever if installed properly. I ride very hard, also race and on my Fuel 98 did not have to do anything to to this setup for 2 years. Now I think it's time to at least to remove and clean and change the grease. The cranks are actually getting worn so I might replace the whole think.
This combo is reliable, lasting, cheap and also light.
Compare to new XTRs.... which are just little bit lighter. Cost $400+ and the big chain ring is POS.
Es-71 + XT is very sweet low maintenance, great value setup.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack- Shaeffer

Similar Products Used:   LX BB, integrated XTRs new ones

Bike Setup:   on all of my bikes.

Submitted by Kyle Veal from Wausau, Wis, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    I'm known at the shop I work at for twisting bottom brackets. I go through low quality bottom brackets(i.e. anything from shimano except this one) in about onw week give or take a day or two. Sor far this is the only Bottom bracket that has lasted more than a month. Let along lasting three months this thing should be good enough for just about everybody.

Weaknesses:    I haven't twisted or bent the sindle yet. I'll say it again. this is the only BB from shimano that has lasted me more than a month.

Bottom Line:
Buy this if you have twisted all other shimano octa-link bottom brackets and don't wanna buy something with an ISIS spindle, Don't buy this if you have the money to buy something with a ISIS bottome bracket.

Similar Products Used:   evert other octa-link BB from shimano.

Bike Setup:   SS urban assault machine

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from North Augusta, SC

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth as all get-out after a solid year of use, and well over 1500 off-road miles.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
After going through ISIS bottom brackets like clockwork several years back, I went with the Shimano XT crank/ES-71 bottom bracket setup and haven't looked back. I have the ES-71 in my Turner Burner and also in my Yeti. I am eyeing a Specialized Stumpy FSR and will put in an ES-71 and splined XT crankset. This bottom bracket does exactly what you expect. It lasts and spins smoothly. The big key is that you need to properly torque the bottom bracket in, and then properly torque the cranks to spec.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   ISIS bottom brackets.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, nicely decked out.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Crete, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Forces you to remove Shimano from the equation, thereby going to another manufacturer, thereby getting something that works, thereby maybe I can get back out there and remember what my favorite trail is.

Weaknesses:    Everything. Maybe this BB would work if you gave it to your grandmother and she only used it to ride her bike to Bingo down the street once a month.
If your going to ride a mountian bike like it's supposed to be ridden you can forget this BB; they like to break and make a lot of noises. I am sick and frekin' tired of Shimano's ruining my rides! Shimano, you are being removed from the equation; I'm goanna try the Race Face signature XC BB WITH Race Face cranks. Goodbye Shimano.

Bottom Line:
I'll give 2 chilis for value because if I was a grandmother riding to Bingo it might work pretty well.
1 chili overall (I'm a mountian biker not a grandmother).

Favorite Trail:   I forgot, Shimano's kept me away for so long

Purchased At:   net

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT crank (anybody want a used pair?)

Bike Setup:   SC Blur soon to be without Shimano BB and crankset.

Submitted by Cochise a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, simple to install, not an ISIS

Weaknesses:    Not built to last forever but that is the point of this thing its cheap.

Bottom Line:
I was sick of investing time and $$$ into ISIS crap that failed so I took a recommendation from a friend and bought some Octalink XT cranks/chainring set and this BB for cheap so if it wore out, hey, no sweat. You know what? This thing rocks. Paid $21 bucks for it and it's still going strong when it fails? So what, I'll buy another one and slap it in there. I've been pounding it for 6 months though and not a peep. Take care installing. Use anti-sieze in the frame before installing the BB and use a torque wrench and torque it to the max allowable range. Used anti-seize on my cranks and torqued to 390 in/lbs and completed the install. This thing is great, but I think proper install is about 99% of why it works so well. For value, you can't beat it, its cheap so five steaming turds and another 5 steamers for performance.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky

Similar Products Used:   ISIS crap

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, XT everywhere, Mavic 819 rims, blah blah blah

Submitted by Nick a Racer from Rockport, Maine

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    hollow, looks cool, rides well, stiff.

Weaknesses:    has side to side play after about 6 months. i have had 2 bottom brackets so far, one replaced when i got a new frame, this one has been through a race season in the fall, and is now showing quite a bit of noticable play.

Bottom Line:
I was not impressed with this bottom bracket, considering the 255 gram weight, and the fact that the bearings havae gone in 6 months. for the weight, i was expecting some longer lasting bearings. well, guess its time to drop 30 bucks on another one. reccomend to most, but with my riding schedule in the fall (5 days a week, 2.5 hours a day and races saturdays) it couldn't hold up.

Purchased At:   Maine Sport

Similar Products Used:   bontrager sport... old XTR on street bike, Truvativ hussfelt, Bontrager race, shimano LX

Bike Setup:   salsa caballero, xt cranks. xtr/xt stuff, fox suspension, carbon and ti everywhere.

Submitted by Old Man a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    It rotates.

Weaknesses:    This BB wore out after 6 months. 3mm side-to-side play in cranks after one summer.

Bottom Line:
Do not marry yourself to XT Octalink and this BB. It is designed to wearout fast!!

Favorite Trail:   Kachess Ridge

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   UN-91 (Old School)

Bike Setup:   Davidson Handbuilt

Submitted by Bruce Brown a Cross Country Rider from Vienna, Austria

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Strengths:    No-nonsense design and quality. No guesswork in combining the new Octalink XT components. Installation was easy and the performance has been flawless up to this point (2000+ miles). The cost is so low (low $20's) that the replacement cost doesn't have me worried.

Weaknesses:    None that I can detect.

Bottom Line:
Price/Performance/Quality level is just too hard to match or beat with this Shimano BB. It takes everything I give it and I am 200+ pounds.

I followed others tips for installation and used some grease, white teflon tape and have not had a single creak or squeak out of it.

Would I buy this BB again? You bet.

Favorite Trail:   Hameau

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   TruVativ, Race Face Isis and other Shimano BB's.

Bike Setup:   This BB is on an old Trek 820 steel framed HT (rigid fork). Kept the frame and popped in full XT which pretty much made it a new bike. It has been running along in this "new" configuration for 1 year now with no problems at all.

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Eagan, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Weaknesses:    Proprietary splines

Bottom Line:
The damn thing is out of spec!!!!!!! The cup threads are about 0.008" too big. This may not seem like a lot but it is. It would not thread into my bike. The bottom bracket side was fine. I went to 3 local bike shops to check on getting a new cup and they were all too big. Luckily a friend had kept his old Truvativ BB and the cup fit over the XT BB. The Truvativ threaded in without a problem. Even the XTR cups were too big. I like the XT cranks so I am stuck with a hybrid BB since Shimano has to have their own "special" splines instead of playing nice and using the ISIS standard. Some of Shimano's stuff is great, but some of it just plain pisses me off.

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail, Marzocchi Z2 Atom Race

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Light, smooth, made well, inexpensive, light, well designed and light....oh and it's light.

Bottom Line:
Ok, well...this thing is sweet. Now if you're a vicious hard core downhiller who smacks your cranks into alot of rocks, putting the combined weight of rider and bike on the BB, then maybe you want to go with some sort of heavy duty thing, I dunno, everyone else (who hasn't chosen the '03 XTR BB/crank all-in-one thingy) should get this. You will of course have to use the matching XT cranks. I put this on to replace my bontrager sport cranks and shimano square-shaped BB. I thought there would be a huge weight difference in the cranks, and there was some, but this BB ways SOOOOOOO much less than the old BB. it's hollow (you can look through the spindle) and it runs really silky smooth. The splined interface is stiff, but the cranks are easier to pull of than a square interface. It's just plain cool, and it's only $25. I installed the M752 XT cranks. that's another review, but all together I'm 100% pleased with the combo. I can't find anything wrong with it. My bike is lighter...not just on a scale, but when pick up the bike you can tell. I held the old BB in one hand and this one in the other, and it felt like the old one weighed more than twice as much.

Purchased At:   supergo