Shimano ES-50 BB Bottom Bracket

1.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Incredible value on a bottom bracket from Shimano.

Submitted by Kyle Veal a Downhiller from Wausau, Wis, USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Strengths:    none This thing is a pile of crap.

Weaknesses:    everything about it. I only bought it, because it was cheap and we had nothing in stock at the shop, and i was too impatient to wait to order a nice one. I tiwsted the spindle on this thing on the first ride on it. (nothing big maby a 6 ft drop.

Bottom Line:
Peice of crap if your buying a new BB don't but this. It will break under any stress. All i can say is that I'm lucky to be a LBS employee(shimano will warrent this this and maby i can sell it)

Purchased At:   LBS (Employed)

Similar Products Used:   ES-51

Bike Setup:   None right now my bike is in peices waiting for new parts in shipment.

Submitted by Mo a Weekend Warrior from Chattavegas

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2005

Strengths:    Hasn't fallen apart yet...

Weaknesses:    The bearings wear out quickly.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this since I built the bike in Jan '04. It started sqweaking early on and its progressively gotten worse. Its still there though. The bearings are so shot now that I can slightly wigle the crank back and forth. It hasn't locked up on me or fallen apart, allowing me to finish all my rides. It was cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Tunder Rock Express

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   2003 Dakar XLT 2.0

Submitted by Richard Jean a Cross Country Rider from Kanata

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Good new

Weaknesses:    After 1 agressive ride, it started to squeek. I tighted the BB and it lasted another hard ride then it got loose again.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this BB if you plan on leaving the bike path / street. You need something stronger.

Favorite Trail:   Old Quary Trail

Bike Setup:   Minelli Diablo Xtreme

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my review of this Bottom Bracket. I just had to bring my bike into the shop again. I killed another one of these, This has to be one of the worst bottom backets out there. Shimano should really do something about this product. I'm sick of having to cut my rides short due to the awful creaking and loose cranks due the bearings wearing out and it's time for a new one. If you have this bottom braket on your bike if it starts to creak get your bike to your LBS and have it pulled. I've gone through three of these on warrenty from my LBS and the next time this happens they better pull it out and replace it with something that works for more than a month. Today was the first nice day in two weeks and I had to cut my ride short due to a faulty part this SUCKS!!!

Favorite Trail:   Pandora, Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Submitted by Ryan Roach a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Came with my new 02 StumpJumper FSR XC, good at the time, did not give me any trouble one of those setup and forget products.

Weaknesses:    Bought the bike in September of 02 in April of 03 it loosed and started to creak horriable, it even loosed my cranks and started to give me shifting problems.

Bottom Line:
Like I said before this is one of those things you setup and forget about. I bought my bike in September 02 and I snowboard in the winter so my bike went about 4 1/2 maybe 5 months without use. Now I'm not stupid I brought my bike in for a Begining of the season tuneup and checkup before I started the season in late march. In the last two weeks of april the crankset would not stay tight then the creaking started at first I thought my crankset was shot. I brought in in to my local bike shop and started looking for new cranks on Pricepoint.com. Well it turned out to be my Bottombracket only, they replaced it with the same one due to the fact it had loosed so bad that the bearings were well on there way to the junk pile. Only time will tell if this thing is any good it's first impression sucked so far now I don't trust this thing at all and the only way I can get an upgrade at a reduced price is to kill another one this was what I was told at the Specialized dealer I took my bike to. Oh well hpe it holds up I only like to upgrade my bike not put it in for warrenty problems a simple fix on this took three days. I'd rather be out riding instead of waiting PEACE.

Favorite Trail:   Pandora

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   XT and stock componets.

Bike Setup:   02 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Disc, with; WTB Mutanoraptors, Easton EA 50 Stem, Easton EA 70 Bars, Canecreek headset, Thomson elite saetpost, Salsa Post quickrelease, WTB and Lizard skins Misc. stuff