Real Crankcase Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.68/5 (22 Reviews)

Real Crankcase Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Strengths:    Very Durable, light at 225 g (for Crankcase extra).
Regreasable/replaceable bearings (no need to throw away and waste the whole BB when bearings wear out).
Fits 68 or 73 mm, can get any chainline just right (super adjustable).

Weaknesses:    Installation and adjustment might be a little difficult for the less mechanically inclined or those lacking patience.

Bottom Line:
Wow, have I really owned this Real Crankcase extra since 1998 (see my earlier review). This is the second bike frame I have used it on, and they have different width BB shells - just swapped some spacers and went from 73 to 68 mm). My brother also has one on his bike. He has about 2200 miles on it so far. We rebuilt it this spring (repacked the bearings with grease) and they still spin smooth with just a slight hint of play (we may need to replace the bearings next summer). I rebuilt mine last summer, haven't looked at them this season yet, but they still spin smooth with no play at all.
Even though Real is defunct I will keep on using the crankcase BB until I can't buy square taper cranks. Very durable with fully replaceable bearings (which I haven't had to replace yet).
Now if they can only make an ISIS BB with bearings this durable... too bad, since I like how stiff ISIS is. Oh, well.

Favorite Trail:   Anything twisty and rooty

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Nashbar, Raceface

Bike Setup:   Steel Hardtail, I built it from the frame up...

Submitted by j.f. a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    tight tolerances= no slopp, creaks etc.

Weaknesses:    GOT to be mechanically inclined to install.

Bottom Line:
i like it because it's got easily replacable sealed bearings, the overall weight for a hollow Cr-Mo spindle
is reasonable, and the tolerances are VERY tight. a tip
for install would be to make darn shure that the B/B shell
width is exactly measured then use correct spacers and oil
the spindle and ID of the bearings before slowly-carefully
tightening both cups--rather than just cranking down on
the one side per the instructions. After that's done, you
can prolly smelt your bottom bracket tools and recast them
into something more useful like maybe a V-brake wrench :)

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Samson, White

Bike Setup:   Fisher HK II, Deore cranks, thumbies, rigid fork--old school

Submitted by Rob Cloutier a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    innovative and adjustable

Weaknesses:    tolerances too tight--way diificult to install

Bottom Line:
I wrote an earlier review praising this product it's time to recant my previous thoughts regarding this BB. I just purchased a new one with a wider spindle for my cranks to put on my new frame. I wanted to set it up with double bearings on both the drive and non drive side as I had on my mojo. There was absolutely no way these bearings were going to all get on this spindle. I ended up using the old cup from the first one I bought since the new cup wouldn't accept the bearing. Bottom line is tolerances are too tight and installation tedious. PS: i read the installation directions several times to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong--I had taken this BB out of my mojo several times with only moderate difficulty. My next BB will likely be a raceface.

Purchased At:   Cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   xt/lx

Bike Setup:   uzzi SL/fox vanilla rlc/race face cranks/xtr derailleur

Submitted by Jason Metzler a Downhiller from Ft. Collins , Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustabilty, concept.

Weaknesses:    Difficult for average person to install. Weak spindle

Bottom Line:
After about a half hour of screwing areoung with the spacers included I got the proper chainline that worked with my Chainguide. I bought another bearing and put two bearings on the drive side. two days later I did a 10 stair drop to flat and bent the spindle and crushed the bearings. ????
I guess its not made for that but it still sucks. For any practical use a cartrige unit would most likly be a better choice.

I bought a new spindle and I am going to put four bearings in it this time.

Favorite Trail:   sawmill in Lory state park

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   UN72, truvativ ISIS

Bike Setup:   Road 34 SFHT1 DS rig. Kooka DH cranks, XT Disc brakes. etc....

Submitted by Justin a Racer from Balitmore

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    Light
Good design in theory

Weaknesses:    IT BENT. As in my cranks sit at a 170 degree angle now.
It looks like this ---> ~ ok not that dramatic but you get the picture. and this is on an XC race bike! not a NS beast.

Bottom Line:
Don't get it esp since Real is defunct. Get a race face. That's what I'm going to get to replace it. Oh yeah it also squeeks A LOT after about 8 months.

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM team, RF cranks

Submitted by steveo a Weekend Warrior from pottstown pa

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    to be determined

Weaknesses:    difficult to install, excess drag

Bottom Line:
difficult to install and once installed excess drag in unit. Had to tap spindle through bearings, but when I removed to adjust the spacers, the bearings stuck to the spindle. Removed them with a bearing puller OK, but even after several adjustements, the excess drag would not go away. Bottom bracket was faced properly before installation too. Overall installation is not that easy, certainly not the type for a novice. All in all, for the price, I'm sticking with a cartridge type bb next time.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   shimano cartridge all types

Bike Setup:   old raleigh m600 frame used as a single speed,lx hubs,singulator

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    Adjustable chainline, replaceable bearings, adjustable BB width down to 1 mm.

Weaknesses:    Not for a novice mechanic, Real out of business so no warranty

Bottom Line:
Good design in theory, some problems in practice. First, you have to have some tools and skills to put this in. You need your BB shell faced, you need an outdated BB tool (I used a Shimano UN96), and ideally you also have a torque wrench and some patience. I used 2 bearings on each side, and the hardest part was getting the spindle through the bearings completely. I realize that it has to be tight to work, but I had to use a hammer. What novice wrench is going to do that? Also, once I got the spidle through there, it seemed like there was way too much resistance from the bearings... it was actually hard to turn the spindle. I'm hoping this will loosen up eventually. All this adds up to an unnecessarily hard part to install... my next BB will be a Shimano XT.

Favorite Trail:   3 Ravines

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, FSA, American Classic

Bike Setup:   95 Norco Team Issue

Submitted by Romeo Felicano a Cross Country Rider from Diego Garcia, B.I.O.T.

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Strengths:    Cool Design. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    None noticed yet.

Bottom Line:
After reading about the review on the Real Design Extra Crankcase bottom bracket in Bike magazine, I decided to replace my creaking, FSA Ultimax Ti BB. It is a cool design, is lightweight, and inexpensive. A follow-up review to come.

Favorite Trail:   all of the trails here on "The Rock"

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   FSA Ultimax Ti 3 bearing bottom bracket. Shimano UN-72.

Bike Setup:   16" 2000 Supergo Access Titanium frame. 99 Marzocchi Superfly. Race Face real seal headset. Kore stem. Easton CT2 flat bar with Bontrager Magnesium bar ends. Sram Attack half-pipe shifters. Tektro MT820 brakes with Avid rim wrangler brake shoes. Avid 2.0 SD levers. Dean Titanium seatpost. Flite Ti saddle. Kooka Bonnie cranks with Race Face 9spd rings.Real Design Extra Crankcase bottom bracket. Shimano PD-M545 pedals. XTR front/rear derailleurs. Custom wheelset with red GT CNC front hub/XTR rear hub/DT revolution 15/17/15 spokes/Spline-Drive nipples/Mavic 217 rims/Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 tires/purple GT Titanium skewers. Ringle XC bottle cage.

Submitted by mike from chi-town

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    design
weight
kickass-saucitiy

Weaknesses:    setup(but only if your a color blind moron without metric calipers)

Bottom Line:
great design, really smooth and light, easy to set up for mrp. best bb i have ever seen or used.

BTW i have the ultimate ti

Similar Products Used:   shimano, race face

Bike Setup:   good

Submitted by CrankE a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    Simplicity of design

Weaknesses:    None I've identified. It's a bottom bracket, it works.

Bottom Line:
It works. Got it dirt cheap ($20) Went on numerous wet rides over the last 2 years, opened the BB up after 12 months figuring I'd smoked it and found the bearings were just fine. Threw it back in with a bunch of grease and lube, opened this year. No problem.

One guy complains of creaking from the start. My experience is that means it isn't TIGHT enough. Put a breaker bar on it and push 'til it hurts. No creaks here, and it's lasted.

Can't speak to Real's customer service, never needed it.

Favorite Trail:   The Knob

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, various Shimano

Bike Setup:   Homegrown

Submitted by MeandMyself a Racer from Somewhere

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff
Light
Good Design
keeps out the Northeast Mud
(Sealed bearings)

Weaknesses:
Have to use a pin spreader to install/work on

Bottom Line:
Great bottom bracket....VERY light if you get the Ti model......no creaks, and I didn't even use thread tape(couldn't find any.....In a bike shop!) Press fit works....Adjustable chainline is always good also.

Devil's Drop

3 months

Stock for a '99 XTC (not an LX like popular opinion)

'99 Giant XTC Se-2
Very not stock

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
What a fantastic set up -- four high quality broadly spaced cartridge bearings that I actually have access to in case of trouble -- amen. versatility and adjustability -- thank you, finally.

Weaknesses:
I don't know about all this ease of installation talk: and I'm a professional bike mechanic. Ya gotta love the press fit to keep the creak out, but get your muscles warmed up. If you want to change things after installation, your gonna need more than hardware store tools. Finally, facing things off ain't no big deal -- you have to -- but c'mon, REAL people don't have these tools.

Bottom Line:
Try it out. It's fun to play with, but not easy. I can see lots of room for mistakes. Could be a pricy toy, if you mess up.

Mountaintown Creek

tested or demo'ed only

All Shimano
RaceFace
World Class
Specialized
homemade stuff

73 mm originally painted, aluminium shell w/ 113mm spindle and RaceFace crankset

Submitted by Rob a Cross-Country Rider from Phil. Pa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Strengths:
easy to maintain reasonably priced
can easily add bearings

Weaknesses:
none really

Bottom Line:
Very solid innovative and easily adjustable. This is a great bottom bracket for heavy aggressive riders who want to add bearings without serious expense. It's very smooth and easy to take apart--I recommend an XTR bottom bracket tool for taking it apart and tightening it. Make sure you install it correctly to avoid creaking--mine creaked like hell after the first ride. But after adding an extra set of drive side bearings and tightening the cups a bit the thing is fabulous. Highly recommend if your looking for an aftermarket bottom bracket.

6 months

xt and lx

Bontrager Race/Judy XC

Submitted by Porkchop a Racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Strengths:
Adjustability
Weight

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
With respect to Pink Lady below (hey, I know your time is valuable, but if you're gonna slam the item, you can tell us more than it sucked), this design is elegant, and works very well. Make sure your BB shell has been faced and chased. This design uses two fixed cups and if the shell faces aren't good, clean and true, you'll get binding and possible loosening of cups. With the prevalence of cartridge bb's, most bb shells aren't prepped properly, as it's not essential (it'll probably cost you about $20). I didn't do this on my first install of the product, and I had problems, just like the instructions said. None since. Use the recommended tool on the install, because a single-pin fixed-cup spanner will NOT get you sufficient torque, and you'll mar the crap out of the soft alloy cups. Yes, I did that too.I've been running just two sets of bearings with no problems at 167 lbs. You can elect whether or not to use lip seals. I elected to pass, as it's so dry where I ride. When I broke the bb down to inspect after 6 months, there was a lot of dust on the cartridge bearing shields, but not too bad.

C-470 and I-25, breathing fumes

6 months

All Shimano models, an older Ritchey and a Suntour greaseguard.

Gary Fisher 73mm shell AL frame
Race Face Turbine crank

Submitted by Pink Lady a Racer from Idaho

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Strengths:
NOne that I can see

Weaknesses:
THE DESIGN SUCKS!

Bottom Line:
THIS THING SUUUUUUCCCKKKSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Get a Shimano
It doesnt even deserve a star.

less than 1 month