Race Face XS Isis Bottom Bracket

3.36/5 (22 Reviews)

The XS ISIS BB features double row angular contact sealed cartridge bearings. These high performance bearings are ultra light and durable. No drive side fixed flanged allows riders to adjust chainline from 47.5-51.0mm. Precision CNC machined, heat-treated hollow Nickel Chromoly steel spindle features a shot peened finish for strength and nickel plating for corrosion resistance.

Submitted by sub zero a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Strength, no noise at all, hard wearing, decent bearings, well sealed, don't come loose, look nice, sounds good, can be bought in safe knowledge that warranties will be kept, splined, durable, does not deform.

Bottom Line:
exellent bottom bracket- after having an octalink, i almost got used to having constant hassle from my bb, however i have not had one spot of trouble from my isis, and i do ride very hard. my review: bloody marvellous

Favorite Trail:   Slopoey Git

Purchased At:   ad cycles (the bike butchers)

Similar Products Used:   shimano octalink

Bike Setup:   orange sub zero big head, [isis bb], specialised handlebars, shimano deore rapid fire/mech/disc hubs, home made titanium spokes, dh30 rims, v12 pedals, hope mini discs, mission cranks, fsa pig h/set, fox vanilla 125r forks, nokian gazza 2.3 tyres,

Submitted by JRo a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Did not break

Weaknesses:    Difficult to install
Cheap bearings
Poorly sealed

Bottom Line:
Bad product, will not buy again. Brutal to install, requiring an insane amount of torque to get the seal seated. Never really spun smoothly. After 1/2 a season of wet racing it was shot. rode the rest of the season on it and it self destructed. took it apart and the bearings were toast, races damaged, dirt was everywhere.

to it's credit, it didn't creak, tick or come loose.

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Taperlock non-ISIS, XT, LX, Truvativ, Dura-Ace, 105

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei, X-Fly, CrossMax, XTR/Raceface

Submitted by Mark Howard a Cross Country Rider from Montebello, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Longevity... This BB just does'nt last.

Bottom Line:
This is my second Race Face BB. They just don't hold up. The first one lasted 2-3 months and began to make a lot of noise. It got loose and could'nt be repaired. The bearings wore out. This one began to squeal. I pulled it out & discovered that one of the bearings locked up. I got tired of the problems & went to XTR. XTR is o.k. but I should have gone to something with compact rings.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Prodigy, XTR

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE with all the good stuff

Submitted by nick vangeel a Cross Country Rider from belgium

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good outside, ...

Weaknesses:    But inside it is crap !!!

Bottom Line:
Bought this product together with the Prodigy crank. After four weeks I heard a mechanical noise inside the crank. The bottom bracket was broken ! So, they gave me another for free and this one broke after three weeks !! If this is the quality of Race Face, no thank you ! Keep it !
I replaced the crank and bottom bracket by a set of Shimano XT and had no problems with it until now !!

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize

Purchased At:   Genk

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F3000SL, Roox, Ritchey WCS, SLR, Easton, Crossmax

Submitted by derby a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    Sexy name

Weaknesses:    soft bearings

Bottom Line:
Crap. Added $40 to Warrantied Prodigy ISIS (which lasted 6 months including 2 wet months before seizing). The ISIS XS has twice the bearings and became loose after 2 rides. Gradually getting looser as time passes now to 6 months in dry condition (about half as fast as Prodigy failed). I'm 200 lbs and XC ride 4 times a week or more with much climbing. Perhaps light weight riders will have satisfactory performance. I always got 1.5 years minimum use with UN72 before the slightest looseness occurred (looseness was a signal to replace). RaceFace warrantee said expect it to loosen up. Sorry I've been spoiled by inexpensive quality, It's hard to accept crap now and pay more than 3 times the price. I'll be getting an FSA ISIS BB unless King comes out with one soon. The ISIS Turbine crankset is stiff and looks great but my Shimano LX cranks shifted easier. No more RaceFace products for me unless it's free (or they pay me!)

- ray

Favorite Trail:   Horsethief

Purchased At:   RaceFace Warrantee

Similar Products Used:   RaceFase Prodigy ISIS BB

Bike Setup:   Tracer

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, No Creaking, Great Warranty

Weaknesses:    kept coming lose at first but Raceface Fixed it under Warranty ( Thanks Guys!)

Bottom Line:
This is a great product from a company that makes good thier warranty, I would definetly recommend this bottom bracket to anyone who is think about buying one..

Favorite Trail:   Rubicon jeep trail

Purchased At:   cambria bikes

Similar Products Used:   Shimano un52(sic), Shimano un72, and Suntour XCPro

Bike Setup:   Cove G-Spot, Rockshox Psylo SL, Fox vanilla rc, Atomic Labs stem, RF next LP isis, Atomic Labs aircorp (rear)rim,ACS Z-rim (front),Avid disk brakes, and Crupi pedals

Submitted by OC. a Downhiller from Oz

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    I cann't really say,because it didn't last long.

Weaknesses:    The bearings on the left hand side died within three months on purchase.

Bottom Line:
I'd like to tell you great things about the XS Isis but I have to say that I was more than disappointed with this product,I thought I was going to fit it and forget it like the Shimano one I had before but NO.We'll wait and see how Advanced Traders(Race Face Suppliers in Oz)deal with the problem.With luck they will fix it get it back to me and I can post the review I think this product can get.

Word of Warning,The old ones seem to have four catridge bearings and the new ones have only two big catridge units instead.Word is the newer ones are stronger.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-72(XT)

Bike Setup:   Bought it with Race Face Turbine cranks(a fit and forget product).

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    tough, splined, light enough

Weaknesses:    goes from good to bad really fast

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review. On a ride last week, as I was climbing a gnarly road hill (to get to the trail) in my 20/28 gear combo, I started getting this horrible scratching and crunching noise. I stopped partway up, checked all the chainring bolts and both pedals, then continued on my ride despite it all. Up until then, my only clue that there might be some maintenance needed was one time when I happened to spin the cranks sans chain and things seemed just the slightest bit rough.

Granted, it has about 2500 miles on it (700 or so of those off-road) and I weigh anywhere from 190-210 with Camelback, but I'd hoped for a little more of the fire-and-forget-it type reliability I got from my pre-spline Shimano UN-72 (XT). You can bet good money that my next ISIS bb will be Chris King, whenever that pops to the surface.

3 chilis to equal out my 5 rating from before, because now I think it's honestly a solid-but-not-outstanding 4 chili product.

Purchased At:   www.wrenchscience.com

Similar Products Used:   nothing splined

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Chico, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    ahhhhh... It's light I guess

Weaknesses:    The spindel began to bend after the first month of riding. I thought it was a bent plate on my MRP at first. It eventually became unrideable after about 6 months. Two other guys on my colligiant team had the same exact problem. I had the XS Dh 128mm BB. I sent it back to the warranty department about 7 weeks ago. I have called and left messages numerouse times and haven't heard back.

Bottom Line:
Poor product, poor service, and expensive!

Purchased At:   123Bikes

Similar Products Used:   shimano bb's

Bike Setup:   Summersett custom freeride hardtail frame, Z1 fork, hays brakes...

Submitted by TT a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    Guys, you do not have to buy a new tool *IF you already have a Shimano BB tool. Below I will paste info. DIRECT from the Park web site.

Bottom Line:
The BBT-2 fits Shimano® cartridge bottom brackets, including those with oversized "pipe billet' spindles. The BBT-2 also fits ISIS Drive cartridge bottom brackets such as Race Face® and FSA® that use the 20 tooth spline pattern. Simply insert the BBT-2 into the splined cartridge and either tighten or loosen using a 3/8 inch ratchet driver or a 32mm wrench.

For ISIS compatible, look at the packaging for the wording, "For removal and installation of Shimano and ISIS Drive cartridge bottom brackets using 20 tooth spline pattern."

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    strength, durability, smoothness

Bottom Line:
When it comes to bottom brackets, I'm more concerned about getting an install-it-and-forget-it product than the latest 5-gram-lighter weight weenie titanium model (especially at 190+ lbs.). I have absolutely no complaints about the XS and I've ridden it through rain storms, trails with that thin dust that gets into everything, and mud. Great product, no complaints. I recommend it to anyone looking for a BB that won't quit anytime soon.

Purchased At:   www.wrenchscience.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-72, STX

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X, Next LP cranks, Bontrager RE-1 pedals

Submitted by Joe from Houston

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Solid construction, no problems per say except....

Weaknesses:    not as smooth as I wish it were.

Bottom Line:
I like the BB.. would maybe even buy it again. has worked well so far dispite rides in mud and water. just wish the action were smoother.

Favorite Trail:   Jack Brooks

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Marzocchi birt jumper, XTR everything, Avid disk, race face turbine.

Submitted by Landy adkins a Weekend Warrior from midland, tx

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Strengths:    light wieght, super smooth,

Weaknesses:    hard to find the tool to put it on

Bottom Line:
this thing is well worth the money. i recomend this to anyone

Purchased At:   Peytons bikes