Race Face Signature Ti Bottom Bracket

2.53/5 (17 Reviews)
Weight : 190 - 195 grams MSRP : $129.00

The much-anticipated titanium ISIS bottom bracket. The Signature Ti pairs up perfectly with the Next LP to provide you with the ultimate high performance, lightweight drive train. While keeping weight to a minimum was a primary concern, the Signature Ti uses double row bearings; consistent with the other BBs found in the signature line. The bearings are necessary to maintain strength and stiffness in the titanium spindle while giving you smooth, long term bearing life.

Features:
  • ISIS Drive
  • CNC machined, hollow, bored out M12 titanium spindle
  • Heat treated and shot peened to provide four times the fatigue life
  • Double row angular contact bearings
  • Proprietary non side loading design
  • Forged and CNC’d aluminum cups and reinforcing sleeve
  • Heat treated stainless steel crank stoppers
  • 8 independent seals to keep out contaminants
  • Adjustable cups fit 68 and 73 mm shells and allows for adjustability of the chain line

Sizes: 108mm 113mm
    Shell compatibility: 68 & 73 mm (adjustable)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks like a nice piece with lower weight.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are shot and I really haven't rode with it a huge amount. Kinda sux.

Bottom Line:
    I thought it would have been good but for the amount I rode it and the bearings are done already. What the heck?

Purchased At:   RVCNS

Similar Products Used:   Nothing to speak of

Bike Setup:   Kona Lava Dome, Chris King headset, Race Face seat post, bars, rings, Next LP cranks, stem... Otherwise Stock.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Longmont, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Strengths:    Weigh

Weaknesses:    Durability, Race Face Warranty Response

Bottom Line:
    First I must say that I weight 195 lbs to be fair. This BB was making noise a month after installation. Problems with it creaking and constantly having to tighten it to specification. After a little less than six months it was used up. I called Race Face and left several messages, and sent a email with NO RESPONSE! O Canada! Make sure you purchase products from companies that follow up on their customer's problems. My Giga Pipe Max Ti is cranking strong with no noise and 1 year after installation. It gets a 1 for their customer service in value rating and a 1 for c.s. again in over all.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mountain, UT

Similar Products Used:   FSA and Truvativ

Bike Setup:   Truth, XTR

Submitted by Scott Vines a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, North by God Carolina, U.S. of A

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight. Smooth. Strong. For a while at least.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are now shot and not easy to replace. A special tool is required to pull-off and press on the bearings. Like others, I thought that "you get what you pay for" and that I'd be riding this BB for a long time with normal maintenance. The horrible sound of those bearings sends shivers up your spine.

Bottom Line:
    Maybe I should try another manufacturer of bottom brackets for a while.

Favorite Trail:   Owls Roost

Purchased At:   Cycles deOro

Similar Products Used:   Race-Face taperlock BB. Those bearings are sot as well.

Bike Setup:   Race Face Turbine LP cranks and rings on my Moots YBB.

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, reliable, light.....I guess the opposite what others mention below.

Weaknesses:    None except that others having problems with ISIS in general makes me nervous.

Bottom Line:
    It works great and combined with FSA carbon cranks creates a lighter set up then XTR without sacrificing stiffness. For the price, I would be dissapointed if I had problems.

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT, Race Face Taper cro-mo, Bontranger Race lite

Bike Setup:   Fuel 100

Submitted by John Oram a Racer from Dublin Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    Ti is light

Weaknesses:    Bearings - too small ,wear too quickly

Bottom Line:
    This product has a fudamental design flaw. The bearings are just too small and wear too quickly. I have been running an XT BB in an old hacker for 7000 miles now and no play or creaking what so ever. This is the second RF ISIS BB to fail after 500 miles and I only do XC, NO drop offs !. I bought the signature TI as I thought the quality would be better. I was wrong. This product is a waste of money. Don't buy it, total dirt. I am very annoyed

Favorite Trail:   Any single track decent

Purchased At:   chainreaction.com

Similar Products Used:   RF SRX BB- same as Ti - only started to creak at 500 miles, the Ti signature developed 2mm of play at 500 miles on chain side bearing

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS1 -standard set up

Submitted by axel from yakima

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    it looks alright

Weaknesses:    bearings, they wont stay tight

Bottom Line:
    my friend just domped his second one, the bearings suck so bad that the repair man at raceface is going to send a bearing replacement tool because the bearing go out all the time. i have used it for a while and every time i put grease in the ports black crap comes out of the seals so they must suck too. one my fsa ti ultimax gets here im going to sell this cheap thing as a decoration for what ever i can get for it.

Favorite Trail:   skyline

Purchased At:   sagebrushcycles

Similar Products Used:   shimano, fsa(the bomb)

Bike Setup:   several bikes

Submitted by Eric Riera a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    The Race Face label?!

Weaknesses:    Poor durability

Bottom Line:
    These came with my bike setup. After about nine months of riding that was in no way excessive(good care, no extreme drops, very little sand, 1 rain ride)the BB started having some creaking, along with some noticeable give and flex.
    After having the LBS check them out, they have determined the BB bearings are shot.
    Given the hubub in the specs and the Ti, I expected that I would not be having to shop for a new BB so soon. My only thoughts of the cause are that I am 200+, that shouldn't be a reason since my old, less expensive Shimano BB, has handled the weight just fine for YEARS. The only other consolation that I've had is that pro's use this level componentry and the teams mechanics swap out the parts on a frequent basis. I guess I just paid for one of them.
    I still love my Race Face Carbon cranks though.

Purchased At:   Custom build w/bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100, RF Carbon Cranks

Submitted by marco righetti a Cross Country Rider from bellshill,lanarkshire,scotland,UK

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight yet robust,can be greased through grease ports

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    i had no problems with xt and xtr bb's but i wanted to lighten up since becoming a weight weenie so i went for isis, FSA carbon chainset with FSA ultimax ti bb and the bb fell apart so i then went for the shook cromo bb and the bearings fell apart so i came to the conclusion that perhaps isis bb's have there problems with smaller bearings and my lbs advised me to get the slightly heavier rf ti bb with the 2 year warranty and well made products and i've been waiting for it to give me problems but absolutely none so far,so well done raceface!

Favorite Trail:   glentress forest red route

Purchased At:   alpine bikes glasgow scotland UK

Similar Products Used:   FSA ultimax ti,shook cromo,shimano xtr and xt

Bike Setup:   2001 trek fuel 80 @22.5 lbs

Submitted by Manuel Jimenez a Cross Country Rider from Guadalajara, Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, look.

Weaknesses:    Bearings

Bottom Line:
    I always hate to see postings with comments like "it sucks",
    so I will not say it, but this is the last Raceface product I will ever buy. I bought it because of the light weight and also because it looks great even when installed. It worked OK for 3 weeks and suddenly it developed play after a normal XC ride, dry conditions, I don't do drops or extreme riding, just plain XC, so if this is how much RF products last under normal use, you can count me out of your buyers list.

Favorite Trail:   Atemajac-piedra balanceada

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, FSA ultimax Ti

Bike Setup:   Dean Duke, Truvativ Stylo Team CS, FSA BB

Submitted by Keith Fritz a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, I think?

Weaknesses:    The bearings: They failed after only three months of normal riding (8-10 hrs per week) in dry conditions.
    The cost: I payed $135 and for that price I feel this producted should be more durable.

Bottom Line:
    The Raceface Signature ti did not hold up to normal riding conditions for a reasonable period of time.
    I live by the old saying "you play, you pay", however, when you pay top dollar for a product there is an expectation of longevity- the Raceface signature Ti did not live up to that expectation.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   Over The Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shamano, they have proven to be much more durable than the Raceface bottom brackets I have had.
    Raceface, which also failed too soon (bearing again)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustable chainline... That's about it.

Weaknesses:    Not durable...Slow warranty repair

Bottom Line:
    The bearing gave up on the drive side after 500 miles. Total destruction and failure. No jumps. No abuse. Bizzare.
    Then the Race FAce warranty department told me that the bearings are NOT a warranty item, so infact if they lasted 20 miles, they won't repair it. BUT, since they already had the BB in their hands they would change out the bearings for free. It took, 7 WEEKS, to get it back. I bought a new BB in the meantime (another TruVativ SL), and will sell this on eBay. Hope I get $50 for it.
    I am bummed, this is the first RF part I have given a crummy rating. The BB isn't good, and the warranty took way too long.

Similar Products Used:   TruVativ Sealex (still working fine after 12 months)

Bike Setup:   2001 GIANT NRS1

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Silver, Spring, MD

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    pretty, adjustable chainline

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
    The bearings and cups wore out in under 6 months. The Spindle was rocking in the shell. Atrocious for such an expensive component. It has now been warranteed and is sitting in my basement. Truvativ BB seem to be more durable and cheaper (I have one BB that is nearly a year old). The Truvativ including bolts is only 40-40gm heavier depending on the setup.

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ ISIS SL

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol CT

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Grrrrrrrrr.....

Weaknesses:    I broke it. Blew up the drive side bearing totally destructed.

Bottom Line:
    I am sending it to RF for Warranty repair tomorrow. I will see if they do right by it and repair it to new condition. A Ti high end XC bottom bracket like this should last a hell of a lot longer than 500 miles.
    I will update later after I get the BB back. I will give it a 3 overall, and adjust accordingly in the near future. My next review will be of the Race Face warranty system.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Race Face ISIS, several types, all been good to me except this one.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol CT USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    ISIS strong, adjustable chainline!!!, rigid.

Weaknesses:    Had defective cups, but Race Face warranted no problem

Bottom Line:
    HOORAY!! The replacement cups arrived in time for me to install before a club ride tonight. No more creak or slop. Unfortunate that their first units had defective cups and seals, but they sent me new cups when I explained the symptoms. It did take 2 weeks to arrive from Race Face, they are in Canada after all, and as far from CT as you can get.
    Race Face cranks, Bottom Bracket, and Bash Gaurd on both my bikes, and they are still going strong after a year of use.