Race Face Signature FR Bottom Bracket

2.61/5 (18 Reviews)
Weight : 250 grams MSRP : $115.00

Designed for your Freeriding rig, the Signature FR is the perfect support system for your North Shore DH cranks. This BB carries all the same features as the Signature XS but is built on a stronger M12 spindle. If you like spending more time in the air then on the ground, the Signature FR is your best choice.

Features:
  • ISIS Drive
  • CNC machined, heat treated hollow M12 chromoly spindle
  • Shot peened finish for strength and nickel plating for corrosion resistance
  • Double row angular contact bearings
  • Proprietary non side loading design
  • Forged and CNC’d aluminum cups and reinforcing sleeve
  • Heat treated stainless steel crank stopper
  • 8 independent seals to keep out contaminants
  • Adjustable cups fit 68 and 73mm shells and allows adjustability of the chainline.

Sizes: 113 mm
    Shell Compatibility: 68 & 73mm (adjustable)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by phil carr a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong, well built.

Weaknesses:    Cost is only real issue but does even out.

Bottom Line:
    This BB has been fitted to two different bikes and has been used in ALL Uk riding conditions every single weekend for 2yrs. I'm a heavy guy and my kit takes a beating and this BB has been ace. I have taken it out every 6 months or so just to give a wipe down and inspect the bearings - It's still going strong. This has lasted way longer than any other BB bracket I have used.

Similar Products Used:   RF evolve BB, SRx(?)

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit, Marzoc 66's

Submitted by C Forrest a Cross Country Rider from albuquerque

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I'm a tappered BB user and I'm upgrading to a 29inch. I've heard some good and bad about the world of the ISIS spline type bottom brackets. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Any replies would be appreciated...bloomango@comcast.net

Favorite Trail:   Poison Spyder MOAB

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Swansea/Gloucester (UK)

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2006

Strengths:    Silent most of the time, has lasted considerably compared to other BBs ive tried

Weaknesses:    Gets full of crud and bearings start to seize after a while

Bottom Line:
    I am impressed with this bottom bracket compared to others ive tried, the design of ISIS is such a good idea its just a shame the bearings never seem to be able to stand up to the test of time. Being from the UK the weather here is crap most of the year and this is where the BB fails. As soon as crap gets into it it starts to degrade rapidly in performance, usually it'll ride fine after a long ride in the woods but after a few days all the grime works its way into the guts and its starts feeling very gritty, i do clean the bike every time ive finished riding but you should not have to remove the BB everytime you ride to get all the crap out. If the Seals were improved further i think this maybe a better BB but raceface has already deleted the line it would appear. If you look after this BB it'll be fine but any UK riders will need to give it serious attention, i wish it was easier to strip down too as this may solve some problem, never the less its done good and its still hanging onto life 4 chilies for overall but its steep price wise

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Giga pipe SL

Bike Setup:   13" jump frame, Z1 FR2s, Gi wheels, E13 guide, shimano hydraulic disks

Submitted by Darwin a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Strengths:    When it's working, it's really solid.

Weaknesses:    Bearings.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great BB while the bearings are working.

I'm getting my third set of bearings pressed in. The first replacement was done under warranty, about 18 months after I purchased, 2nd set of bearings lasted about the same.

This BB has seen two set of cranks, having ripped a pedal out of the Prodigy DH's, I've moved up to the North Shores, and they're nearing end of life.

Basically a hard summer at whistler, and a solid winter on the shore will be all the bearings can take. You'll start hearing clunking and gravel-like sounds.

It's about $50 cdn to replace the bearings, which isn't a bad "tax" for 18 months of riding, but it would be nice to forget about the bb completely for a couple seasons.

I rate these "good" considering the hammering they've taken.

Favorite Trail:   Joyride

Purchased At:   Cove

Bike Setup:   Banshee Scream with Monster T

Submitted by max well a Weekend Warrior from toronto,canada

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Strengths:    it looked really cool with that metallicky gold colour n such, it looked good on the bike rack

Weaknesses:    it creakes like crazy and seazes up in cold weather, or on a muddy trail, it makes an ANNOYING creaking noise that makes you wonder whats going on in there.

Bottom Line:
    i wish i knew more about this not so good bottom bracket when my bike shop put it in my bike for free after the truvatiz, i'd rather another truvativ instaed, those work pretty well and dont cost as much as the rf, this bb was just trouble, on some days it works well but in most situations in creaks and cracks and makes nothing but noise, i've smashed my knees sooo many times on the stem cuz it skipped after i jumped onto a CURB in front of IGA, that really annoyed me and HURT, dont get one if u can or avoid it

Favorite Trail:   everything

Purchased At:   my bike shop

Similar Products Used:   truvativ, i wore it out but it didn't CREAK!!!

Bike Setup:   04 gt ruckus 2.0, marzocchi dirt jam, holzfeller bar n stem, syncros rims, truvativ hussefelt, highroller tyres, intense grips.

Submitted by dave a Racer from vancouver, bc, canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Strengths:    Looks very nice in the box and it comes with a signaure of some employee.

Weaknesses:    Seals, Bearings are too small and the design is poor

Bottom Line:
    used this bb for less then 3 months, no mud or wet weather ever touched the bike. this i sthe 4th ISIS bottom bracket from race face I have had problems with. The first one had problems with seals while the other two had siezed while I was riding, and this one the bearings and the seals went on it. The race face engineers need to think a little more creative in their design process and ditch the sealed system and allow for an open ball bearings that can be serviced and have a larger number of balls inside. The solution is simple to rectify alhtough the re-tooling process may be expensive for race face. nonetheless, they really need to get their act together. ISIS is by far the best spline design but, the bb is just shi*te.

Similar Products Used:   Phil Wood, truvative

Bike Setup:   xc, mild freeride

Submitted by Marc a Downhiller from North Shore

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    Silent and strong

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
    I freeride my hardtail pretty hard and have no problems (I weigh 170lbs). I rode the SRX for a year and a half with no problems either. I upgraded to the Signature FR out of paranoia. I think installation may be a problem with some of the complaints, and possibly a bad batch of bearings. I've never heard a peep out of my RF cranks or bottom brackets. 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Boogyman

Purchased At:   Cove

Similar Products Used:   RF SRX

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee, Slider, all Race Face, etc....

Submitted by David Goff a Weekend Warrior from Clemson, South Carolina

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Have not seen them yet.

Weaknesses:    This is the 2nd Race Face Signature FR BB that has failed on me. The 1st was installed in a C'Dale 1FG and failed on the second ride. (Less than 15 total miles) The second & most recent failure was this past weekend on another single speed bike that I ride. It had less than 45 total miles on the BB. In both cases bearings were destroyed, and the slop between the spindle & cups was so excessive that I pushed the bike home. I do not know if RF has resolved the QC issue with these BB's. But I am not impressed.

Bottom Line:
    There is a problem with this product. 2 instances of same issue with little time on each bike. Not good. Good company.....Bad product run.

Favorite Trail:   Doyle Bottom Area

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Gigapipe, Race Face Evolve series, Shimano Octalink, various square taper products

Bike Setup:   Strong SS w/ Race Face Cranks & BB.

Submitted by MoD a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Race Face replacement guarantee

Weaknesses:    The "FR" is a RaceFace Factory replacement from an original Signature "Ti" which I came down a notch and went up in weight to try and buy a beefier BB than the "Ti" due to problems with it.
    I've been into two shops a total of about 5-7 times now. I have repetitive creaking and popping that appears to be coming from the vicinity of my cranks (Next LP Carbon). We have made many assumptions from headset and rear suspension bolts to pedals....but the one common denominator is that this is my second RaceFace BB and I continue to have the same problem.

Bottom Line:
    I guess if you enjoy continuously troubleshooting and wrenching on your ride or if you have someone that can do it for you for free...this is your BB, otherwise if you're like the rest of us - find an alternative until RF can improve the quality to justify the price. These two BB's(1st the "Ti", now the "FR") have cost me upwards of another $150 in troubleshooting and labor fees.

Purchased At:   Factory Replacement

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (this one is 4+ yrs old, little maintenance, and is still going)

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100, Time ATAC Pedals, Shimano chain, Race Face rings

Submitted by scott silvers a Cross Country Rider from p\l

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2004

Strengths:    it fits my cranks?

Weaknesses:    bearings wear out waaay too fast. what is the point?

Bottom Line:
    I thought I was getting a set it and forget it BB/drivetrain from RF. North shore cranks and their signature BB - a good combo one would think. I finished my bike end of august, rode it for the next two months half the week, then tapered off for the winter - no major pedalfests. And what happens. Tink, Tink, tink, tink....the bb bearings are shot from less than normal riding. Now, I have to send it back to the bike shop so they can press in some new bearings for free. That's super, but I have to take my bike out of commission for two weeks while this all goes down...great! Thats why I paid the big bucks.

My 1993 shimano deore dx BB in my ol scott hardtail is still spinning....makes my head spin to think that RF cant build a better BB....I think I made a mistake getting this problem BB...

Favorite Trail:   potowatomi

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   shimano BB's

Bike Setup:   2004 Turner 5-spot, marz z-1, rf northshore cranks, etc....kinda heavy, but it can dish it out.

Submitted by John from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Strong spindle and cups, same BB fits 68mm and 73mm. It "looks" durable (but it isn't).

Weaknesses:    Bearings wear out (I have gone through two Signature FRs) in less than a year. The bearings went after three months on the first one. Replaced under warranty, but now those bearings are developing some play six months later.

Bottom Line:
    For being sold as a heavy duty FR model, it is worthless. I even took the thing out and greased the bearings every month or so, and it still wore out.

RF replaced it under warranty with no problem, but I want to ride and forget about my BB, not keep sending it back.

Maybe it is better suited on a road bike (as long as you don't ride in the rain).

Similar Products Used:   XT square taper

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from DE

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    This was an expensive bottom bracket that lasted for less time than a $35 Truvativ I was using in my hardtail. Its made even more expensive when you need to buy a flanged cup seperatly.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this unless your a yuppy that think just cause you payed more its better.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by dave hallingsworth a Racer from californial

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    you get a signature in a box, and a nice shiney bb.

Weaknesses:    cups come loose, m12 spindal shifts, and the seals let in to much grime and dirt.

Bottom Line:
    I forked out 110 bux thinking this would be the last bb I'd ever use. Boy was I wrong. After 5 rides on my new frame and a freshly installed bb it felt as though the cup was comming loose, upon inspecting the bb the m12 spindal was shifting in the cups. After taking out the bb the cups came off the bearings with very little force. Then upon re-installing to the proper torque load the bb was still shifting around. Race face, not only overcharged for this product but it was an utter waste. The waranty department has been slow and anoying.

When will chris king come out with a bb? Please be soon!

Purchased At:   bike shop