Race Face Prodigy Isis Bottom Bracket

1.93/5 (40 Reviews)

Silky smooth, maintenance free one-piece cartridge design – slap it in and forget about it! Double lip wiper seals at each end keep the bearings free from mud, grime and moisture. Design features a drive side flanged fixed cup for quick and easy installation and chainline simplicity – when using Race Face cranks, this BB gives a 48.5-49mm chainline. Hollow chromoly steel spindle is cold forged, CNC machined, precision ground, heat-treated and nickel-plated, making it super strong and durable.

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Weaknesses:    i got some play inside the bottom bracket which can kill the rings, heavy

Bottom Line:
at least get the signature series, or go xt except u need xt crack but its all good still

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt = actually pretty gd

Bike Setup:   santa cruz chameleon, fox vanilla rl 125, chris king, thomson, easton ct2, xt/xtr & raceface, hope m4 & avid juicy 7, x317, 519

Submitted by JOSH PARRISH a Downhiller from CONGLETON

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    REALLY STRONG AND A NICE WEIGHT. FEELS GOOD TO RIDE THE BEST BOTTOM BRACKET I HAVE EVER HAD

Weaknesses:    NOTHING

Bottom Line:
MY BIKE IS WORTH £1100 AND I LUV YOUR BOTTOM BRACKET IS IS AMAZING BUY THE PRODUCT IT IS VERY VERY GOOD AND ITS WORTH THE MONEY

Favorite Trail:   FOL HOLLOW DOWN HILL TRACK

Purchased At:   DREAM CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   HOPE VERY GOOD AS WELL EXPENSIVE RED

Bike Setup:   DMR TRAILSTAR 2 FRAME IN BLACK DIRT JUMPER 2 FORKS V12 MAGNESIUM PEDALS HOPE BOTTOM BRACKET RACE FACE DEUS CRANKS HOPE GOLD HEADSET DMR MOTO DIGGER TYRES ATOMLAB AIR CORP RIMS 24" WHEELS JUMP SEAT RACE FACE BARS WORTH £150

Submitted by MisterWizard a Downhiller from Abq. NM

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    Reliability, smooth.

Bottom Line:
This is the most reliable BB I've ever seen used. Been riding trials with it for over a year now and there's no hint of a problem yet. It has a lot of miles on it, since I ride my P.2 to work 4 or 5 days a week, about 17 miles round trip. Still smooth, maintenance free.

Similar Products Used:   other raceface, saint and other shimano

Bike Setup:   P.2 with Sherman Flick.

Submitted by drew a Downhiller from armstong canada

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2004

Strengths:    rebuildable, you can put new bearings in them. If you regrease and clean them a few times a year they will last.

Weaknesses:    bearings and races will go if you don't clean and grease the gutts on these units,

Bottom Line:
i liked mine, bought it used so its about 3 years old now, went slopy just recently so i put new bearings in it, and it feels pretty good now.

Favorite Trail:   anything dangerous

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   2004 cove stiffee fr

Submitted by Erick a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Looks pretty

Weaknesses:    Incredibly weak product. Doesn't last.

Bottom Line:
This BB is terrible, don't waste your money. I purchased mine on 7-26-04, it seized 9-27-04. I ride 3 times a week or so, 15 to 20 miles per ride. I knew it was inexpensive, but I figured a Race Face BB would last at least a year or so. Very disappointed to say the least.

Favorite Trail:   PQ, Black Mtn

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Evolve

Submitted by Scott from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, durable, lasted me for 5 years with no troubles at all!

Bottom Line:
I have ridden on the prodigy ISIS now for about 5 years with no problems at all. I dont know if I got lucky or what but this thing has been perfect for me. I never had to do a thing to it. It just recently went out on me after 5 ears of riding, this bb was on my old Klein back in '99. I recently pulled off one of the cranks and a bunch of water came gushing out, the old race face was done! I just bought another one for $25.00 off of Pricepoint.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in Fruita

Purchased At:   Over the Edge

Bike Setup:   SC blur

Submitted by Henk De Ruyter a Cross Country Rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    The look (together with the crank of course) !

Weaknesses:    The quality !! It was good the first 5 weeks, then it broke !!

Bottom Line:
Bought it as a complete kit because I wanted something else then Shimano and also it looked cool ! First, their was the weight, 720 gr only the crank and the chainrings, so too heavy !! Then the bottom bracket, only 5 weeks and I could change it !!! If I knew, I never bought it !!! Back to the original and still the best, Shimano XT !!!

Favorite Trail:   Gulpen, Holland

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Van Tuyl-frame, Manitou Skareb Super, Shimano XT-XTR, Crossmax, Magura Marta, Eggbeaters

Submitted by Ben Dawson a Racer from Peterborough, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, works.

Weaknesses:    Weight? Dunno, you pay for what you get

Bottom Line:
Well, maybe I got lucky cause mine lasted me 5000km's and about 50 races untill it crapped out. Got play in the spindle, shot the bearings, so I replaced it with another one. No complaints.........I rode the crap out of the thing.

Purchased At:   Came with NRS-1

Bike Setup:   Had it on a 2002 NRS-1

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    none, cheap price

Weaknesses:    failed in one year, contaminants in,

Bottom Line:
don't buy it

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air

Submitted by Holy Toledo a Weekend Warrior from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    It's stronger than a wet noodle, barely.

Weaknesses:    3 month life span. The Yugo of bottom brackets.

Bottom Line:
It's a POS! I thought Giant saved me money by equipping a Deore front derailuer instead of an LX or Xt... but, now I can see that they saved money by choosing to go with this crappy bottom bracket. It wouldn't surprize me if Prodigy had to pay Giant to equip this crap on the NRS!!!

Purchased At:   Natomas Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock NRS1 '02

Submitted by GDog a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Bearings were shot after 4 months of riding
Cranks came off three times while I was riding!

Bottom Line:
Not only is this bottom bracket poor design, I am amazed that Race Face has not recalled the product. I see lawsuits coming their way from this one. It is downright dangerous. I will not buy another Race Face product.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (rocked)

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 1 Stock

Submitted by handlebars a Weekend Warrior from indiana

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    hmm, let me see.....none

Weaknesses:    blows up!!! yeah, that's a weakness isn't it?

Bottom Line:
sh!t, sh!t, sh!t.!!! had this thing 4 months and have had it replaced twice already. creaks,grinds and sounds like a chain stuck between gears if you put any force on it. then after a couple a weeks it goes bad. oh, yeah...those noises come out of it asap!!! stay away. real P.O.S.

Favorite Trail:   challenge park extreme

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   taprelock on it's way

Bike Setup:   '02 specialized enduro, psylo sl, raceface cranks, fox shock, alex rims and xt drivetrain

Submitted by Buster Browne a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Spins... holds cranks.

Weaknesses:    Didn't last very long... not sealed well at all... yada yada.

Bottom Line:
Mmm, it lasted a few months before I noticed that it wouldn't spin when the cranks were off. So I used it some more and noticed the same thing when i pulled the cranks later. I was able to spin the spindle by USING THE CRANK ARMS for leverage. I pulled the seal and bearing carrier and found a nice glop of rusty junk. Nice. I repacked with grease but um, yeah. I'm using a square BB now, so I haven't used this since, but I have a feeling it won't last long. Need better seals or cartridge bearings. Or, just make it fully serviceable so I can pull the thing apart after wet rides.

Bike Setup:   stuff

Submitted by Dan Hensley a Weekend Warrior from Nashville

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap (inexpesive also)

Weaknesses:    Seemed like one of the bearings went to dust. It started to have play in it within 3 months. Eventually started to throw chain in high torque situations, which can be VERY bad.

Bottom Line:
The Prodigy BB I used on my hardtail lasted until I transplanted all the good parts on to the Fuel, which used a different size BB. I had problems with this one within 6 months. The RF Turbines and chain rings are wonderful,(not cheap) but remember... when you by cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. I would be weary of anything you can't work on or rebuild. Throw away parts are just that, throw away. I gave it 2 chili's because I did get my money's worth.

Favorite Trail:   HC