Race Face ISIS SRX Bottom Bracket

2.43/5 (35 Reviews)
Weight : 245 grams MSRP : $37.98

• ISIS Drive
  • CNC machined, heat treated, hollow chromoly M15 spindle
  • Shot peened finish for strength
  • Forged and CNC’d aluminum cups and reinforcing sleeve
  • Single row, double sealed cartridge bearings
  • Low friction labyrinth cup seal keeps out contaminants and increases bearing life
  • 64 ball bearings in each bottom bracket
  • Adjustable cups fit 68 and 73mm shells and allows adjustability of the chain line
  • Fixed cup on drive side

Built For: The all around rider looking for solid performance at a reasonable price.

Size: 113 mm
    Shell Compatibility: 68 & 73 mm (adjustable) and E-type derailleur compatible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Oli a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Not overly expensive, no problems whilst new.

Weaknesses:    Shells cracking, seals not protecting rain, grit, mud. Disposable quality - they should come with quick release levers.

Bottom Line:
    My third one just went last weekend, I don't know why I keep buying them - I naturally assumed they would evolve over the years but if anything they're getting worse, my last one lasted 5 months - and started 'crunching' after 2 weeks.

I'm a lightweight cross-country rider but spend most of my time riding to work, I look after my bike and this is the only component that consistently fails - the shells either crack or the bearings crack and crunch until it no longer turns. Useless.

Duration Product Used:   5 Months

Purchased At:   Stiff Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Evolve Crankset

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula 2004

Submitted by KillerT a Cross Country Rider from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Strengths:    Held up well for 6000+ km of riding

Weaknesses:    Only one bearing on the drive side

Bottom Line:
    After more than 6000 km of riding through two Danish winters (with plenty of road salt) and summers, through rain, mud, water, dirt etc. the bearing on the drive side finally gave out.

Replaced with a Race Face Evolve XC BB.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Modded Kona Caldera 2005

Submitted by david from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Strengths:    NONE!

Weaknesses:    Falls apart after about 30 min of riding

Bottom Line:
    SUCKS.....

Similar Products Used:   Crap sticks

Submitted by Dave Carlton a Weekend Warrior from Pioneer California

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Strengths:    Looks cool and hi-tech compared to old school stuff.

Weaknesses:    Underengineered! Bearings too small (1/16 inch)Cups too soft.

Bottom Line:
    I'm a big guy (230, 6'2") but not a real hammer. I do some adventurous rides but do so conservatively and this thing lasted less than 200 miles. I torqued it to spec when I installed it and when I called RF about it they put the blame on me saying the cause could only be overtightening.I tore the thing apart to investigate and the outer races were brinneled. Hardly any lube in the thing either!
    Don't waste your money. If your stuck with ISIS drive,( which in my opinion is a solution looking for a problem and creating lots of them in the process) go for the DH models that use 4 bearings. In trying to beef up spindle/ crank interface BB manufacturers shortchanged riders with this ISIS stuff. BB shells should have been made larger to accomodate large spindle and large bearings. Talk about an OOPS! in the engineering department! Nothing like being the beta test site for manufacturers!
    Probably suitable for comfort bikes and occasional riders but not if your big or ride alot.

Favorite Trail:   MIsery Creek

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ gigapipe sl

Bike Setup:   Steel Fisher Hoo hoo e koo. Oldschool frame and fork with updated drivetrain.

Submitted by Hunter a Cross Country Rider from Sanford, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    As far as bottom brackets go these days, better than average

Weaknesses:    Longevity, as with all the later model, older style bottom bracket systems.

Bottom Line:
    Well here we are at a switch in Bottom Bracket & Crank Tech. If you are a serious rider then the newest systems are your best bet. Dont even bother just replacing the BB. But I guess you already know that if you are here. I got a solid two years out of the SRX BB, which is at the low end of Race Face's product line. I am an agressive rider of 195lbs. My guess with these wear problems is that alot relies on INSTALLATION. So before those below went and started pointing fingers, they should have thought about this and read the INSTALLATION INSTRUCIONS. I am replacing it with another because I am not ready to upgrade to the newest system. Even though the BB wore out before the crankset, I'll still stay LOYAL to raceface. In a realm of components that are historically problematic they have hung in there and kept up with the pace. Besides the fact that they would do anything to help you. They have THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Keep that in mind while you are sitting inside with a broken rig waiting for a repsonse from Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse, Shimano XT, Chris King, SunRingle

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse, Rockshok, Shimano XT 9spd, Chris King, SunRingle

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffness

Weaknesses:    Not quite making 6 months before seizing

Bottom Line:
    Terrible product. This only lasted 5 months through an English summer, I shudder to imagine how long it would have lasted in an English winter!

I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone, use FSA, seems to last longer but does squeek a bit. I think ISIS is a stupid idea and I can't understand why manufacturers still use ISIS systems.

Favorite Trail:   Hamsterley

Purchased At:   New with bike

Similar Products Used:   FSA

Submitted by james brooks a Cross Country Rider from melbourne, victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    I guess I didn't directly pay for it. Thats good!

Weaknesses:    Just like the other reviews. This thing is a right lemon.

Bottom Line:
    What a waste of metal and grease. Total gumbies should buy this, or scrap merchants can have mine for a dollar :) Deserves some negative flaming poos

Favorite Trail:   You Yangs

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Not sure what is on my other bike but it done about 20000 kms over 5 years without a squeak.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC 2 2005. With just about everything that can wear replaced. Great frame and SRAM rocks but heaps of crap, like this product, out of sight.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap price.

Weaknesses:    Crank arm keeps coming loose as the thread on the bolt is too soft. I had this tightened at my local bike shop a number of times but it keeps on coming loose. This started on about the third or fourth ride. The bike was purcahsed brand new through a Giant dealer. The bike is only used for riding on XC trails, no jumping or downhill.

Bottom Line:
    The bike was a good buy apart from the Raceface Crankset and bottom bracket. I went to my local bike shop to get a new bottom bracket but he doesn't stock Raceface (for the obvious reason that they are no good). I was going to try and get a replacement bottom bracket under warranty but I have decided to save myself time and effort and get a decent product.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Changed over the bottom bracket and cranks (RaceFace Prodigy crankset) for XT bottom bracket and cranks, no problems now.

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant XTC1 with XT shifters, XT front derailleur, XTR rear derailleur, Mavic CrossRoc wheelset, Avid brakes

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Price- came cheap with the Race Face Evolve XC crankset. The good news is: the Evolve XC is everything I hoped- priced right, strong & stiff, cool looking & light.

Weaknesses:    Seems to be my history with ISIS BB's- 1 year or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first- and the bearings turn to gravel.

Bottom Line:
    I defended ISIS to my friends after my Signature XS died. Now its two ISIS BB's in two years. I'm a smooth XC rider, don't ride in rain or mud, and only catch "trail air"- no drops. Some may say that a new BB every year isn't so bad, but I want one to last longer. I'm not sold on the external bearing system yet, so I'm not going there. This $100 experiment (2 BB's) didn't work- I don't want to be a guinea pig with a $300 crank & BB?

Purchased At:   Price Point Combo Deal

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Signature XS ISIS BB. My last one. Figured buying RF's top of the line XC BB would make ISIS work. Wrong.

Bike Setup:   2003 Hammerhead 100X, Fox Float R ProPedal & F100RLC fork. XTR, XT, Magura Martas, Race Face bits & Hugi/Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Mozza a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Strengths???? What strenghts???
    The chrome parts stayed chrome!

Weaknesses:    Regularly came loose and would completely cease up if I didn't ride every second day. It seems strange that a SEALED BB needs to be serviced with lubricant!!!!

Bottom Line:
    This thing is complete crap! Do not buy it. It was a poor component on an otherwise excellent bike. If I didn't get this bike at a good price I would be really pissed!
    It comes loose often, ceases up ALL THE TIME and does not earn the right to be called a "sealed" BB.

I only wish I could choose zero chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Mylor Loop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC 2 with mods.

Submitted by sebastian a Cross Country Rider from durham

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    NONE !!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Very short life span.

Bottom Line:
    This BB is not worth putting on your bike, i went though three of them under warranty and the last one lasted two weeks. I would strongly suggest you not wast your money on this product IT IS A PEACE OF CRAP. The only good thing about RACE FACE is they warrantied their product without a hassle.

Favorite Trail:   durham forest

Strengths:    * Quiet
    * Smooth
    * Maintenance free

Weaknesses:    * Not cool enough for everyone
    * Can't talk about it with my buddies.

Bottom Line:
    I replaced the stock crap shi*mano crank and BB for a prodigy crank and SRX BB. Glad I did. LBS gave me $20 for the stock BB, and this cost $50. So effectively $30 CDN.

Crank spins smoothly. Seems strong enough for me. That's all I ask of it.

Back when I started MBing in the early 90's all we had was square taper and they sucked then. I must have rounded off 4 crank arms jumping.

Favorite Trail:   Toxic forest