Race Face Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.82/5 (170 Reviews)

The Taperlock bottom bracket is available with either a titanium or steel spindle. Both versions are forged and machined to give precision 2-degree taper flats. Heat-treating and shot peening the surface gives the spindle incredible strength and fatigue life.

Adjustable threading feature allows the rider to fine-tune the spindle positioning for proper chainline and perfect shifting. Radial stainless steel ball bearings with 90% grease fill are ultra smooth and designed to accommodate heavy loads.

A locking drive side cup is available for riders who use a BB mounted front derailleur or chain guide.

Submitted by f3rg a Cross Country Rider from Colimbia, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Light, durable, lasts forever and a day

Weaknesses:    No longer made

Bottom Line:
I have the titanium version (blue cups). This is 2009, and I have been using it since 1999. It just hit 10 years of service, I've never once done a bit of maintenance on it, and it still works like new. I weigh 150lbs (sometimes less), so I fall within the safe weight limit.

This BB has turned out to be as bullet-proof as my Chris King headset, which I bought at the same time and also still use. Couldn't possibly be happier that I bought it.

No, I won't sell it to you. :P

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano OEM products

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Lawrenceville

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    SRX cheapo. It lasted one year.

Weaknesses:    I should have heeded the bad reviews for this BB.. but I learned for myself. The center casing came apart from the screw ends. Was discovered due to rattle noises, took it apart and thought "yeah this is junk".

Bottom Line:
Will try another vendor as this is the first BB I have ever worn out. Well.. it worn itself out do to bad quality.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Evolve BB

Bike Setup:   Mt Tam 29er (2002)

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, durable, bearings easy to replace

Weaknesses:    Steel axle is a little bit to heavy

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket has given me zero problems in more than 5 years of use. I way about 180lbs and ride in mud and wet nasty conditions for half the year. For the weight and strength of this bb it was well worth the price. I finally had to replace the bearings this winter. Bearings were cheap at $16 for the pair and easy to replace. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   any trail that is extremely fast

Purchased At:   Unknown, who cares? You get this anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX bb

Submitted by Collin a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, uh......strong!

Weaknesses:    heavy, square tapered

Bottom Line:
i've been using this BB since '99 and it's amazing! I'm finally going to replace it this year. That's saying alot since it's been transfered from 3 bikes and has put up with 200lbs of beating on an everyday basis. By far, the most durable part on my bike. By the sounds of the new reviews, these aren't being made the same. But, if they are, this is the BB to get (well, it's square tapered, that kinda sucks)

Purchased At:   supergo

Bike Setup:   Giant VT

Submitted by T a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    can't think of any

Weaknesses:    price & durability

Bottom Line:
I read a review here where someone says they heard that some off shore company was actually making some of the Race Face BB's, well if that's the case, that might explain why the product information that was supplied with my bottom bracket was photocopied and not printed- I was wondering why I got a cheap and unreadable xerox copy. As for my the new BB...the frekin thing was defective before I even used it!! I turned the spindle in my hand and felt resistence (metal against metal), so I thought- put it on anyways and give it a try- I did it... and took it off 5 minutes later! What a piece of expensive junk!
This situation caused me to do for myself what the manufacturers of Race Face BB's don't do to well- that is put a reasonable amount of grease in the bracket. SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY AND DRILL A HOLE INTO THE BRACKET, INJECT GREASE INTO IT, PUT STRONG TAPE OVER THE HOLE AND DON'T WASTE ANY MORE MONEY ON A RACE FACE BB. I did this to my "new" (and defective) BB and it did allow the thing to operate for a few hundred miles with no problems. Now the noise is back, so I reinjected some grease-I'll see how long this fix lasts (probably not too long). No more Race Face BB's for this guy- I don't like expensive products that perform like inexpensive ones. Get your act together Race Face.

Favorite Trail:   multi city loop

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   blur

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Saint Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth, ok on the weight.

Weaknesses:    Give me a warning..please!

Bottom Line:
Out on a weekend ride with the peeps and the damn thing gave out on me. No warning or anything. Got back to camp and the bottom bracket was toast. Ended up cutting the ride short.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Lake

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, XTR all the way, Race Face Cranks, love the setup.

Submitted by Ron a Racer from New jersey

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Very smooth and light weight.

Weaknesses:    Bearings did not last one year.

Bottom Line:
Bottom bracket was super smooth up until it died. It died without warning. Started the race with a solid bottom bracket and finished with poop. The bearings just died. For that much money it should last alot longer than one year. I am going back to Shimano, even there cheap bottoms lasted longer than that.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Purchased At:   Online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe, marzocchi x-fly, race facr next lp, mavic 3.1 w/ xtr hubs, sram x.0 rear and shifters, xt front, and some carbon stuff

Submitted by Leotis Denetclaw a Cross Country Rider from Socorro NM USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, Durability, Durability ...... Looks, and function. One of the best I've used ever.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
I am a 230 lbs rider, I've trashed many XT BBs and was told is was a penalty due to my size and nothing could really be done about it. When this taperlock first came out I was willing to give it a try, it was the best upgrade on my bike to date (4 years). I find that many people do not torque this bottom bracket correctly, this is an important step. Maintance once a year and proper torque specs and I am convinced this thing will go forever. At 230 lbs not many things last, everything on my bike is beefed up, this light weight bottom bracket is right at home. I Love it and would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island (Tucson)

Similar Products Used:   XT BB, Suntour XCpro (greaseguard), as well as various shimano

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, Zochs X-fly, ringle hubs with rhino XL rims, raceface cranks, XTR derailuers, syncros stem and post, Monkeylite bar, Canecreek S-5 HS, and Time pedals

Submitted by bikerx40 a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, adjustable chainline, strong spindle.

Weaknesses:    Bearings toast after one season of riding (mostly dusty trails, never pressure washed or anything like that). Excessive bearing play that cannot be adjusted out.

Bottom Line:
Though I have owned this product since 1999, last season was the first full season of regular riding. After just one season of normal XC riding (no drops or anything like that) the bearings are done. Lots of bearing slop, which is completely unacceptable. I've used cheap Shimano UN-71 bottom brackets for several seasons and they feel as smooth as the day I bought them! Time to get rid of this piece of junk and go back to what actually works. One flaming turd for this piece.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-71, White Industries Ti

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Hiwassee Full suspension, Manitou SX Carbon, Full XT and XTR, Raceface stem, bars, and X0 Seatpost.

Submitted by Robbie a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontairo, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Uber Strong, no flex, no creaking

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
IF u break yer standard bb like I did this is a great upgrade for yer bike. I have had 0 problems from it and it has that cool red color. I also got an amzing deal!

Favorite Trail:   Multiple Orgasm

Purchased At:   Sportable

Similar Products Used:   shimano bbgay, truvativ

Bike Setup:   Dmr Trailstar, Psylo XC, Rhyno Lites, XT XTR

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Super light weight!! Cool colors

Weaknesses:    very flexy-I have the titanium version

Bottom Line:
This is the only product on the bike I semi-regret buying. I have the ti version because I am kind of a weight weenie. There just is too much flex in my crank arms. The race face next cranks were on my old fat chance with a generic shimano bottom bracket, they worked awesome-zero flex, super stiff and great looking!! When I purchased my s-works, I had them credit me for the cranks and put the race face on, since the cranks were the old taper square drive, I needed a new bottom bracket so the race face ti was a natural selection. There is now flex in my drivetrain that was not there previous. I weigh only 155 and am not hard on my components. This selection would have to rate as a failure in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Binghams

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   '01 s-works hardtail with race face next cranks, full xtr, sid sl w/lockout, time ti axle pedals, cross max ust w/hutchison mosquitos etc. etc.

Submitted by mike b a Cross Country Rider from Sodom in the North

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2001

Strengths:    weight
cool anodized red cups
easily replacable bearings
chainline adjustability

Weaknesses:    bearing durability

Bottom Line:
don't buy this bottom bracket. get an xt level shimano unit. the shimano is cheaper and the bearings seem to be more durable.

it seems that i was at my dealer every few months replacing the bearings in this bottom braket every other month. i am neither a heavy nor an agressive rider, either. i just ride three to four times a week at about two hours per ride, on normal cross country terrain.

although the race face bottom braket is light and stiff, it was not a product i was able to put on my bike and forget about.

three stars based on the product working very well with fresh bearings and the cool factor.

Favorite Trail:   boggs

Purchased At:   park cyclery sf

Similar Products Used:   shimano un 72

Bike Setup:   superlight--race face turbine, xtr, mavic, easton monkey lite, yada yada yada. the thing weighs in at 25.5

Submitted by hopster a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Strengths:    Does what it says on the box. My steel B/B has been through loads of mud and water, it has never creaked or moved in the frame. It is still smooth and I am looking to get a titanium version for my new frame. It currently resides on a single speed. Those that have had problems should check the threads in the frame and clean them with the proper workshop tools before installation.

Bottom Line:
Great B/B that is well sealed and runs smooth for years. I am not very heavy so I haven't encountered any reliability issues on the axle, however I would recommend the steel version for heavier riders. I have been a Race Face fan for years and have encountered no problems with any of their kit

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Cameleon, Race Face Cranks, Hope XC4 brakes, Titec Bars, Kore stem

Submitted by Brian a Racer from Keller, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    Very nice, light, strong

Bottom Line:
Alright.. This is an apology for the last review I did... (Brian-racer form Ft. Worth, Tx.) My bb worked awesome.. then the bearing thing happened.. started creaking, sent it it, no prob, got it back, the bb still felt the same way OUTSIDE of the bike, so I sat and stewed on how "stupid the Customer service guys are at Race Face which is when i wrote that last review.. which really I was the dumb ass. I installed the BB and it is flawless since, Sorry RF Cust. Serv. You guys rock, Awesome service, I forgot the one rule of thumb and ti will never happen again.... SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!!!

Purchased At:   Grapevine Bike Center

Bike Setup:   Custom Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Submitted by Wyatt Lecadre a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn,New York

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, cool looks

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This product is excellent. I chucked my stock Shimano BB for this one and don't regret it. Once setup, leave it and forget it. For those of you with slipping BBs check the frame threads (for wear, size, etc., you should know what to look for, if not then ask; it's your bike take care of it) first use a little lok-tite to keep things in place. As for creaks I have none, but properly cleaned and lightly greased (wipe away excess) BB threads on the frame you should have none. If you still hear creaks listen closely it may not be the BB. Check your cranks instead.

Don't try to be a mechanic if you don't know what you are doing. Sometimes following the instructions just isn't enough for some people. Get a friend who really knows what they are doing and can teach you; if you don't what to pay a bike shop. I don't trust them either; I do all my own work (I'd rather break it myself), we all have to learn somehow.

This BB is't for you 180+ or DHers or those of you who don't think twice about taking an 8 foot drop. Their strong and light. Great chainline adjustability and very well lubed out the box. I haven't noticed any extra flex due to the Ti construction. Extra cool feature interchangeable anodized colored cups (got red cups but need blue, then order the blue replacements and vice versa). Red cups are standard on the chomoly and blue on the Ti so you know which is which. I set 5 chilis a flame for this product. Do. your homework.

Favorite Trail:   anything I can get to