Phil Wood Stainless Steel Spindle Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

4.68/5 (22 Reviews)

Stainless Steel Spindle Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Chester, SC

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Some saidm the proprietary tool, but it's a lot smaller and lighter than a set of BB wrenches!

Bottom Line:
I bought it to replace the third short lived spindle set I had gone thrugh. I was somewhat apprehensive of the price until the dealer assured me it came with a 5 year warrantee on the bearings. Which I never used. That was in 1986.

Since then, it has endured commuting 10 -20 miles a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year for 15 years, rain or shine. Wekend mountain biking through dust, mud, rocks and creek crossings up to 2 feet deep (yes, completely submerged!), and the only maintainence it has ever recieved is once a year I carefully pop off the seals, clean and repack the bearings with boat trailer wheel bearing grease and reseal.

When I was building my latest machine in 2004, I apecifically asked for a crank with a square taper so I could continue using it. He did and I still am. It is still running as sooth as the day I bought it and get this, I've replaced NOTHING! I'm still using the original spindle, shell, retainers and bearing even after (are you sitting down?) twenty years and 51,000 (thats Fifty One Thousand) miles.
Ide rate this ten chillies, but they won't let me

Similar Products Used:   Whatever the cranks came with

Bike Setup:   Wich one? this thing has lasted through three bikes!

Submitted by al a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    low maintenance, strong, durability, overall value,replaceable bearings

Weaknesses:    proprietary install tool & cups extra $$

Bottom Line:
I have the SS version. About a month into my 3rd year with this bb, I took it out to clean it and examine it. Turns out I didn't have to. It was as smooth as when I first put it in. Excellent seals on bearings, no worries of rust on the bb shell. Back in the bike with a little grease around the spindle ends!

Had good success with sq taper Shimano's, 3-4 years trouble free service life. Then, got the Octalink which had annoying creaks and clicks from the splined interface and beaings would burn out in a 1yr from bad seals (which isn't bad compared to ISIS).

Decided to go with old fashioned reliable sq taper again, Phil bb and RF Next LP cranks. I figure if the Phil bearings are toast in 10-15 years I can replace 'em and still be way ahead on money and time wasted on maintenance. I'm a medium wt rider (#165) and have not noticed any difference in stiffness between the SS Phil and Shimano Octalink pipe spindle.

If you're a non-clydesdale crosscountry rider and can still find sq taper cranks to go with your Phil bb, this setup is the most cost effective least maintenance way to go!

Similar Products Used:   shimano es-71 splined and un-72 sq taper cartidge bb's

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

Submitted by Rico Mundy a Cross Country Rider from Angwin, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Strengths:    Has lasted an incredibly long time and it looks beautiful when new. Also very light weight (182g @ 68 x 113) and has held up amazingly well for being that light.

Weaknesses:    Only in square taper. It is probably quite flexy compared to the new crop of Bbs with outboard bearings and oversized spindles.

Bottom Line:
Here are my riding stats for the Phil Wood Titanium Bb
*7800 miles (all cross country miles (the biggest drop has probaby been 1 foot, I don't do big drops, hucks, or jumps) it has been subject to snow, ice, being submerged in water as well as exposed to the endless dust of summer)
*5.5 years of use

I've treated the Phil Bb (which is paired with a set of Race Face Next LP Carbon square taper cranks) as an install and forget it item. In 5.5 years I have maybe taken it out once or twice to clean the bearings. I just took it out last night for the first time in 2-3 years. The bearings are very gritty, but the spindle still turns and with the crank arms attached it spins fairly smoothly which is why I probably have never realized it needed cleaning all these years. Nothing appears to be cracking or failing yet so I will clean up the bearings and keep using it. I really wish it were available in ISIS. With square taper, I'm always a bit afraid to keep removing and reinstalling the cranks for fear of reaming them out, so instead I leave them on for years at a time which means the Bb does not get serviced. I see a lot of new Bb features in the last 5 years which seem really great (ie ISIS splines, outboard bearings for increased stiffness, etc) but after reading the reviews of any other Bb here on MTBR and it seems like there is not one which is worth anything in terms of longevity. Of all the Bbs listed on MTBR only Phil has an award for excellence, which tells me something. I bought it because of the fact it had the award 5 years ago and I'm still glad I made the purchase. I would give it 4.5 chilis if I could since I don't think a Bb exists yet that deserves 5 chilis, but since 4.5 rounds up to 5 Phil gets 5 from me.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from East Bay

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Strengths:    Looks, reliablilty, sturdiness

Weaknesses:    Cost, only available in square/taperlock

Bottom Line:
Nice, would recommend getting it if you can find a sq. taper crankset. Livermore Cyclery says that they don't get much call for the product anymore, too bad (as other reviewers state) the thing isn't available in Isis.

Favorite Trail:   Bogg's Mtn/Skeggs/China Cmp

Purchased At:   Slough's

Similar Products Used:   S-company

Bike Setup:   Ventana X-5, Bianchi Road bike

Submitted by Biggie from WC, ca

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Been running this BB since my '92 Fisher paragon. It's moved from bike to bike over the years and just keeps going. Had to regrease it a year ago which was no sweat. This thing just keeps going.

Submitted by Joe Adams a Cross Country Rider from Pullman Washington

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    It lasts forever. I have the titanium axle version. I have run this bottom bracket for about 6,000 miles and the bearings are as good as ever. Previous to this bottom bracket, I would got through one at least every 1000 miles, and less if I bought a cheap one. And those weren't replaced when the slightest play developed; I only did it when they were so loose that front shifting was affected. Anyway, I've had the Phil out a few times for various reasons (it always amazes me how light it is). One time I thought it was squeaking, but as it turned out it was my frame. But I put pipe tape on the threads anway, which made SURE there was no squeaking from the BB. Last month I had it out and the bearings felt a little dry (excusable after 6,000 miles) so I popped off the seals and put some grease in the bearings. It smoothed right out. So, it's pretty much paid for itself now, even though it was expensive. If it lasts another 10,000 miles, it will pay for itself again.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, you need special Phil Wood BB tools to remove/adjust it. My bike shop has them and they let me use them, but it's a little bit of a pain.

Bottom Line:
Save your money, buy one, and you'll not have to buy another one. If you're over 180#, don't buy the titanium one (I weigh 170).

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shopt (B&L Bikes)

Similar Products Used:   Lower end Shimano BBs

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive, Marzochi, Hayes discs, Rohloff Speedhub (yes, really). No Shimano. Never again.

Submitted by John Fox a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Strengths:    Un-ending value

Weaknesses:    Huh?

Bottom Line:
I bought a Phil BB, hubs and pedals 30 years ago to convert my old Raleigh Competition to an "off-road" bicycle. Got tired of the traffic in and around Yosemite. Probably 70 or 80 thousand miles later and it's still smoother than any Campy, Shimano, TA, Stronglight, Sugino or Suntour I've ever ridden. Just sent the Raleigh off for a new paint job (It's 3rd). Will restore it with all the original components (yes I still have them and they've seen little use since I made the conversion)but the Phil BB will go back in. And I'll put the Phil hubs back on, too. No better value anywhere in the world -- any product of any kind! Decided to buy another one to go on my old Woodrup with Campy NR Triple.

Favorite Trail:   The one in front of me

Purchased At:   Merced, CA - Tom's Bike Shop?

Similar Products Used:   All of 'em

Submitted by Mike Eckley a Weekend Warrior from Avon Lake, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    smooth like butta!set it foh-get-it, stiff as a wedding dink

Bottom Line:
get it,set it, forget it, my riding buddy is on his second M952...my "Old Phil" is smoother than his new one...he said; "BB's wear out and need to be replaced"...little does he know what lurks inside my BB shell!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Licktons

Similar Products Used:   xtr 952

Bike Setup:   '01 zaskar team: turbine LP's,time atac

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth like butter, this bottom bracket is like nothing else I've seen.

Weaknesses:    Cost, though you get what you pay for. Get a shop job and deal one :-)

Bottom Line:
This thing is ridiculously cool, it's smoother than any bottom bracket I've ever ridden (including dura ace & record) and apparently gets smoother with time. All I can say is wow. Supposedly indestructible too, when the bearings wear out you can send the product back for replacement bearings, cost is $30 or so .. less than the cost of a UN-72 and only needs to be done every 15-30k miles, damn.

Similar Products Used:   shimano & campagnolo catridge bottom brackets

Submitted by steve molnar a Cross Country Rider from orlando fl

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    very smooth,light @135gr. very reliable. iv got the mag ti in my mt bike, and the steel version in the road bike with over 12 yrs and massive amounts of trouble free riding.

Weaknesses:    absolutly none.worth every penny.

Bottom Line:
if you want the best bb on the market, with trouble free riding. get the phil. gram counters will not find anything, lighter or stiffer then the mag ti at 135 gm.

Favorite Trail:   any trail in colorado

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   xt,dura ace.

Bike Setup:   kestrel road gt mountain

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight
Nice design
Seems strong enough
Very well made Phil tool

Weaknesses:    Expense
Needs Phil tool

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket has a jewel like finish that makes it a shame to install it somewhere it'll never be seen. The Ti axled model, along with aluminium locknuts, weighed 155g (108mm). The axle is solid, not hollow. Installation was easy enough, just make sure you follow the instructions to clean out the BB shell threads with an alcohol-based solvent and apply the threadlocker compound. Because of the adjustable floating axle design, you'll need to fiddle around a bit to get the axle placement just right, which can be slightly fiddly with just one BB tool.

Have used it since 05/02, and no problems so far. Install and forget.

Purchased At:   Direct from Phil Wood

Similar Products Used:   XT (UN72), XTR (UN91)

Submitted by Ken, an any kind of riding rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
When is Phil going to come out with an ISIS BB??? Hurry up already!!!

Favorite Trail:   desolation lake

Submitted by johnnyb a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Smooth, light and you don't notice it there.

Weaknesses:    This is an update to a problem I had before. See the previous review

Bottom Line:
When I called about my problem a friendly person on the other end quickly gave me a job number to include with the BB and they would ship it back right away. I got it back within the week and they included extra loctite and stickers (Yea!).
I've ridden over 350 miles and the only problem is that the crank arm bolts won't stay tight. I think a little loctite will solve that. Still is smooth.
I like the professional way they handled my warranty, now I hope the product lives up to its reputation. Five chilis for the service and product rep and three chilis for my experience so far with this bottom bracket

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tamalpais