Nashbar Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.18/5 (11 Reviews)

Nashbar Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Lee from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, lasts a while

Weaknesses:    axle pits after a while,
ticks under load

Bottom Line:
worked fine for 5 months, a few thousand miles, until I took off the cranks (cheap nashbars too). When remounted, the axle and crank pitting didn't line up again, so the cranks didn't run straight.

What else could you expect from an $8 bottom bracket? Not a fan of regularly overhauling bottom brackets, so back to Shimano's UN-5x series

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Submitted by el ray from the midwest

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have these on all my bikes. They've lasted for years. Bearings are smooth with no play whatsoever, even after years in muddy, harsh, and abusive conditions. Square taper is the most reliable, affordable and oftentimes the lightest way to go. These bottom brackets are fantastic. I can't imagine why some riders are going through them, but I know that sometime during the past few years, the manufacturer of the product changed. Obviously, Nashbar does not manufacture many of the products it labels, and I know the newer bottom brackets are made by RPM, which seems to make quality stuff as far as I know. All I can say is that this product has worked for me - I can't vouch for anyone else.

Submitted by Ethan Cohen from New Haven

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last more than 6months

Bottom Line:
Junky stuff, but what did you pay for it? It only lasts about 6 months in moderately abusive use. Typically dies a
creaky death.

Favorite Trail:   topanga

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   UN-72,UN-71

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor bearing quality.

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket lasted two hours in a road bike before the spindle began to wiggle inside the bearings. I am not a heavy rider either, nor do I abuse my equipment. The unit was installed with care, and absent any manufacturer torque specs, was torqued to approximately 50 lbs-ft per side. Nashbar is refunding the purchase price plus postage, which speaks highly of their service, but I cannot understand why they would want to put their label on an item of such sub-standard quality. Even at 7 bucks, this BB was no value, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Road bike.

Submitted by Gus a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Strengths:
Only $10.00

Weaknesses:
Only lasted two rides.

Bottom Line:
From what seemed like favorable reviews, I bought one when it was time to replace my 93' LX bottom bracket with over 4000 miles. Started grinding after my second commute to work ( 30 miles round trip.). Maybe I got a lemmon. YMMV

less than 1 month

Submitted by Mike Giafagleone a weekend warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Good, cheap bottom bracket for first couple of rides. After a few creek crossings and muddy rides, it starting making a grinding sound. Became hard to crank so I cleaned it out and repacked the sealed bearings but this did not help. After two months, I had to throw it out when the shaft started slipping.

Submitted by Kate a weekend warrior from richmond

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Solid. For $11 you can't beat it with a stick.
Smooth sealed bearings will last a lifetime. Easy to install, uses a shimano tool. Same quality as shimano and performance. Beefier, seems stronger because of the steel. Heavy, but I'm sure it will last a long time. The cheapest and best investment I've made

Submitted by Phil... a cross-country rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased this bottom bracket in the 68 x 115 size, but it was too long, so I sold it to a friend on whose bike it fit. The quality seemed better than Shimano UN52, which I ended up with. The mounting cup for the left (non-drive) side is actually metal with a built in rubber seal, rather than the cheapo plastic (with no extra seal) provided by shimano (Bless the Big S). Since my friend is using it, I won't have any idea as to the durability of the product until I he has ridden it a few months. Anyway, that may be moot by then, since this part is currently on clearence from Nashbar.
I give it a 5 for its quality appearence and price, and a 3 for the unknown factors such as durability.

Submitted by Jim Cim a cross-country rider from Rochester, N.Y.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I installed this BB about 6 months ago and it has performed very well. It's very smooth and I haven't had any problems with it, even after approx 300 miles of hard riding, which is better than I expected after paying only $10. So far it has performed better than the Shimano LP26, which is what I had on there before.

Submitted by Chris C a weekend warrior from Iowa

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I think its a Best value for the money around. Much smoother spin than low end Shimano and better fitting seals. Installs easily with standard Shimano tools. Not for weight weenies..but its all relative. I've had mine in for only about 300 miles and still spins free and smooth. Recommend for the non-status conscious.

Submitted by Bob C. a weekend warrior from RI

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

On sale for about $11 bucks. Good replacement for a old beater
bike that still uses the three piece bottom bracket setup. Its
heavier than teh UN52 in hand because of all steel construction. but
it has nice seals. Smooth spin. For the money, its worth it for a
beater bike that's Tourney equipped.
Comes with two bolts. Says made by VP in Taiwan. Same people that
made the Nashbar Modus headset.

Experience with Enduro XD-15 bottom bracket

I am considering purchasing the new Enduro XD-15 BB for my Trek Superfly. The concern I have is that the bearings are in a sealed cartridge. Does anyone know if they can be serviced? Do you think they will be substantially more durable than a standard steel or ceramic BB? It would need to last a ... Read More »

Scott Ransom bottom bracket/chainstay bearing replacement - please help!

Hi, First post, I've tried searching but no luck... Hpefully somebody can help me out, I'm back on the bike after a 12 month break following birth of my son! I've got a new set of bearings for my Ransom. Removing the shock linkage was straightforward but I am a little unsure how to extract the c ... Read More »

What tools do I need to change bottom bracket bearings?

I have a Fuji Nevada 3.0 (2008) bike and I want to change the bearings, but I do not know what tools I need. Here is a link for more info about my bike - [url=http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=fuji&Model=Nevada+3.0&Type=bike]2008 fuji Nevada 3.0 - BikePedia[/url]Read More »

Which bottom bracket for pressfit?

I have a XO GXP carbon 2x10 crankset on my Intense Tracer and plan to switch to a Carbine 275 with a pressfit BB92 bottom bracket. Will my cranks still be good to use with a Truvativ Pressfit GXP BB?Read More »

Looking to upgrade my powerspline bottom bracket

I currently have a Sram S800 crankset with a powerspline bottom bracket, and the BB is creaking bad. I called sram and there tech suggested a howitzer team BB as a suitable upgrade however a quick search reveals some bad reviews. I know I could start fresh with a much better crackset+BB but my funds ... Read More »