Hope Titanium BB Bottom Bracket

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Hope Titanium BB

Submitted by Mike Oxmells a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    strong, light, bling

Weaknesses:    Finding one and fitting it properly

Bottom Line:
I get very excited about finding a red one of these on ebay (all the other 'bits' on my bike are red anodised Hope), but the BB kept coming loose for the first couple of months, and was nearly binned.

Eventually got it properly fitted by the LBS and it has been brilliant. Very smooth, no flex, and very light.

And that little flash of red behind the cranks looks the dogs nuts!

If it lasts another year it's worth the money.

Similar Products Used:   XT Hollowtech, UN73

Bike Setup:   Kinesis Maxlight, AC cranks, Middleburn rings

Submitted by Simon Black a Weekend Warrior from Thornton, Scotland

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light, reliable, fit-and-forget, technical backup from hope is excellent

Weaknesses:    They are not exactly giving them away.

Bottom Line:
A quality British product from the ex-Rolls Royce guys at Hope. They are even helpful on the phone. As useful on a DH bike as it is useflu for us wierd wieght-saving fetishists

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen

Purchased At:   SWC.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Taperlock Stainless Steel

Bike Setup:   Next LP cranks, also use Hope Hubs/C2 disc brakes and will definitely be checking out there new headsets

Submitted by Uncle Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Sayreville, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely light, strong (no flex)

Weaknesses:    You need a special tool to install

Bottom Line:
A bottom bracket is supposed to be installed then forgotten about. Well this is it. My bike shop mechanic is fron the UK, so he hooked me up with the Hope and Middleburn cranks. Never had a problem or had to have either one serviced. The BB has been under water several times too. My mechanic tells me they are easily serviced as well. I'm going to buy another one for the new bike I am currently building. I've weighed anywhere between 185-200lbs. while riding this BB and there is no flex at all. Almost everyone I know runs this BB and I really don't know of anyone having any trouble.PS- It'll shave almost 1/4 pound of weight. Highly reccomended

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Middleburn cranks on a Klein Mantra

Submitted by Bikeyboy a Cross Country Rider from NZ

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    smooth as silk bearings, durable, one of the lightest available

Weaknesses:    You're kidding?

Bottom Line:
I got given this for doing a customer of mine a deal on some audio gear. He bought it to put in his Marin when he was in the UK but after a week of use he took it out with the complaint that it sqeeked incesantly and drove him nuts.
He said that I may as well give it a go.
He had it put in and I've had it now for over 2 years and for most of the time not even known that it is there except when I spy it sitting in the frame as I lift it up to hang in the rafters at the end of each days riding.
It still runs smoothly and I have not had one problem with it.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Marin Quake 9.0, Sram Plasma and full XTR with 517's, AMP F4blt fork and Magura HS33's

Submitted by Scot a Racer from Westchester, New York

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    Reliable & Durable

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Use the BB with Raceface Next LP Cranks, once dialed in ride your bike and forget about it. They are 7 grams heavier then the Raceface Ti BB Based my decision after riding & racing in the Norteast on Hope hubs for over two years I was impressed with there reliability in the muck. Not to mention there bearings are manufactured in France not Tiawan.

Favorite Trail:   Canaan, West Virginia

Similar Products Used:   Shimino UN72

Bike Setup:   99 Intense Tracer w/Z2 Atom 80

Submitted by Donal from Uxbridge

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Strengths:    I generally forget it exists, but,

Bottom Line:
I am not saying its a weakness, but I have had to replace the bearing cartridges a couple of times because they have worn out so that the cranks feel unstable and both visibly move. It doesn't matter because you just put new cartridge bearings in, which are cheaper than all but the cheapest new b/bs. I haven't got a Hope bb tool yet, so I am not sure what they cost, but I bet they aren't that cheap.

Similar Products Used:   standard shimano item

Bike Setup:   Marin Pine Mountain, 2000 frame, 99 components

Submitted by Brady Wells a Cross Country Rider from Fort Nelson

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Strengths:    Bulletproof
Shiny

Weaknesses:    Not for anyone who has ever used the phrase "Bang for the buck"

Bottom Line:
This bottom bracket is unreal. I have lucked out and just finished putting it in it's 4th frame. Over the last 5 years with countless hard kilometers the Hope has performed flawlessly not once giving even the slightest hint of a problem. If I knew how to maintain it, I might, but I'd worry about upsetting some kind of delicate balance that has proven itself again and again every time. This is one part I truly instal and forget about. Even with my 212 pound frame pounding away at it, it has not given up the slightest bit of play, and still runs as buttery smooth as the day I got it. If I ever need to replace it, or consider building up one of my other bikes into something more hardcore, I would settle for nothing less. You wont be dissapointed.

Similar Products Used:   Several Shimanos and one other fancy one

Bike Setup:   Brodie Libido

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Abergavenny

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
Suprer Lightweight. Dead smooth. Maintainable (apparently, not tried yet or had to). NO CREAKS with my Raceface Turbine cranks.
A nice peice of engineering requiring only a pin spanner to install.
My 73/113 size weighed in at 180 grams. Compare thi s with the LP27E that was fitted to the Klein Attitude from new which is a lumpy 370 grams. Thats over 50% saving. Ok a £ 25 UN72 weighs about 265g so its not a massive weight save.

Weaknesses:
Looks weak, only the test of time will tell. A little pricey but if it lasts, it will pay for itself.

Bottom Line:
This is super BB. Provided it survives the test of time, then I give this 5 Hot Ones.

Coed-y-Brennin