FSA Ultimax Xtreme ISIS Drive Bottom Bracket

2.85/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 158 grams <br>titanium

ISIS stands for International Spline Interface Standard. This new crankarm interface has been developed by a group of designers and manufacturers including TH Industries. TH is currently the only manufacturer with the abiliity and knowledge to produce a forged ISIS Drive spindle. By using a forged spindle we are able to offer a stronger, lighter weight and more reliable product. All ISIS Drive mountain cranksets are designed to work with the 113mm spindle.
  • Ultimax Xtreme Pro Ti BB - 158 grams
  • Ultimax Xtreme Pro BB - 225 grams
  • Ultimax Xtreme BB - 253 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Alan Chan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The BB bearing comes loose after one week of riding. Currently in the process of claiming warranty.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is...this BB is crap. I only do XC and max jumping is not over two feet. Bearing comes loose as I can feel the gap with my crank arm on with one hand! This usually happens to old bottom bracket that has been used for a long time (2 years approx) but this is happening to mine that was used for less then one week! I never tried FSA product before so I decided to give it a try. I will never go back it. Going back to Race Face...

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Silent Sport

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR, RaceFace Prodigy, RaceFace Evolve XC

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, Fox Vanilla RL, Chris King on Mavic 317, XT/XTR, RaceFace Next LP, Thomson Stem + Seatpost, Selle Itaila SLR XC, Time ATAC Carbon, Easton CT2, Hope Mini, Avid Juicy 7, Continental Explorer Supersonic

Submitted by Kyle a Downhiller from Wausau, Wis, U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    It's stiff, unlike shimano which they apparently think that BB's are made of jello, and that nobody over the weight of 180 pounds rides a bike. I've twisted every single octalink BB mady be shimano, as well as others. this one held up easily

Weaknesses:    none, this one actually works, and more people who are have play develope in the spinle, KEEP UR BOTTOM BRACKETS TIGHT.
    play is developed when the bearings can move lateraly, and when they do that they wear unevenly, unevenly worn bearing=spindle play.

Bottom Line:
    buy this, if your have the balls to put it in ur bike properly(tightly, with cheater bars otherwise don't complain). the only reasone I could see not to buy one of these is if you don't own a bike, even then It'd be cool to own a fine piece of machanical engineering. (THIS IS THE ONLY BB THAT HAS COME OUT OF MY BIKE THAT YOUR COULD TURN THE SPINDLE BY HAND)

Purchased At:   gift from co-worker

Similar Products Used:   all of shimanos, some truvative, FSA

Bike Setup:   SS chucker, set up for urban FR

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from california

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    NONE, this thing is total crap. It is stiff, but this is the second one to develop play, the first one had major slop by 2 weeks, this one, took a WHOLE YEAR!!! Wow, that's durable!!

Weaknesses:    Develops slop, its expensive, FSA doesn't stand behind what they know is a piece of junk. DO NOT BUY FSA, YOU'LL BE SORRY, READ THE POSTINGS, TALK TO MY FRIEND WHO HAD A CRANK SNAP ON HIM. For the record, I'm 155, ride cross country and do not race, I've nevered snapped a chain or broken ANYTHING, and i've never had a BB perform this poorly. I ride my mountain bike once a week, about 15 to 20 miles, mostly i ride road, but i love a good mountain bike and a great trail. So the BB went in say about 1000 miles, probably less, NICE, REAL Friggin Nice.

Bottom Line:
    This is a total piece of junk, FSA sucks, I'll be telling everyone I ride with, don't buy their crap. Two good friends are VERY experienced mechanics and they say to stay FAR away from ANYTHING FSA. What next? Sell my Race Face cranks(which I love)burn the stupid FSA BB and say HELLO Shimano XT Hollow Tech intergrated!! Think I'll have any trouble in a year? Don't think so!! If i could give them no dog piles I would. DON'T BUY ANYTHING FSA, GOT IT? ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   downieville

Purchased At:   Fresh Air in BC.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, which is where i am headed back too!!

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain TSC, XTR, XT, Time, Manitou, etc.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Longmont, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Price

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
    Less than a year was all that it could give me. I must add that I weigh 195 lbs. Around 50 miles/week is what I ride. I now have a TRUVATIV Giga Pipe Max Ti. One year and still cranking smoothly.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mountain, UT

Similar Products Used:   Race Face SRX, TURVATIV Giga Pipe Max Ti

Bike Setup:   Truth, XTR.

Submitted by wes a Racer from austin

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2004

Strengths:    light. good warranty.

Weaknesses:    everything else.

Bottom Line:
    6 of these bad boys in 1.5 years. I got tired of sending them back for warranty so I'm guiniee? pigging the deus now. The warranty was good. The turn around was pretty good. Seems like a waste of perfectly good ti to me.

Similar Products Used:   raceface. truvative.

Bike Setup:   fsa platinum pro ti

Submitted by James Flynn a Weekend Warrior from Coventry

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very lightweight
    Taken my abuse for a year and I am damn heavy.
    Another thing on my bike I have just banged in and forgot about, until it started creaking a few days ago.

Weaknesses:    The cost, the money I spent on this AND the special tool to fit it could have bought me enough petrol to cover 800 miles in my car :(

Bottom Line:
    Good solid bottom bracket, saying that, mine has just developed a nice creaking sound but I haven't investigated that yet and it hasn't fallen off so it can't be too serious.

It would probably be wise spending money on something a little less extravangant, sacrifing those precious few grams is worth having a few extra notes in the wallet.

Up to you, I wouldn't buy one again though.

Purchased At:   off t'internet

Similar Products Used:   Too many, nothing that was this expensive though

Bike Setup:   Planet X Ford Fiesta, just another trials bike really...

Submitted by Jono a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    Hmmm, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Non-drive side bearings collapsed after about 3 months of off-road use. Tried repacking the bearings (even though they're sealed) but to no avail. Too much lateral play even when new.

Bottom Line:
    Look elsewhere, I'm trying Truvative next. Saving weight is great but no good if you DNF due to equipment failure. I couldn't recommend this to anybody who goes off-road.

Favorite Trail:   Karapoti

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN72 square taper. Never had a problem with it, only replaced it because I was rebuilding the bike.

Bike Setup:   '98 Marin Rift Zone with just about everything upgraded including the BB - or so I thought.....

Submitted by Gary Snodgrass a Racer from Malvern

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    It's a bb.

Bottom Line:
    I hope Cannondale puts the SI crank and bb on their hardtails next year. The scalpel has it now so I hope the Optimos end up with it soon. FSA, Race Face, Truvativ, and Shimano should all be ashamed of themeselves. We can put people on the moon but no one can make a bb last past the install. I would pay $1000.00 for a bb if it would last more than 4 weeks without creaking or developing play. This would save me money because I could make more sales and money and spend less time reinstalling my bb every other ride to get my expensive bike to feel expensive (by being quiet). My last two FSAs had slop in the bearings before I ever rode them!

Buy a frameset with an integrated bb from the frame maker. Like Cannondale Scalpel and hopefully the Optimo soon.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican

Purchased At:   CambriaBike

Similar Products Used:   All

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Optimo Hardtail

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Glen Carbon, IL

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Good bottom bracket, sturdy design. Never creaked or groaned from urban assaulting or dirt jumping.

Weaknesses:    One of the crank bolts backed out and I lost it. FSA has to be different of course, and has a special sized bolt that you can only get from them for $15.

Bottom Line:
    I prefer the truvativ, due to the availibility.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   truvativ gigapipe DH

Bike Setup:   azonic DS1 manitou black elite fork, dual avid discs, xt

Submitted by YR a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2004

Strengths:    worked well for 20 months

Weaknesses:    stopped working after 20 months - berrings developed play, had to be changed

Bottom Line:
    just over a year and a half of use seems to me a little
    dissappointing for a quality product. At 190 lbs and a relatively mild riding style I don't think I abused it
    so it should have lasted longer.

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   NRS2

Submitted by Biff a Cross Country Rider from Wilson

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Strengths:    Very light as claimed

Weaknesses:    I have gone through 2 of these in less than a year. I sent the first one back for replacement after 200 miles and almost 5mm play side to side at the tips of the crank arms. FSA treated me good and had as new one right out to me with in 5-7 days. I am a 165 lb xc rider who does not go big. The BB has never bee submerged and again after 300-350 road miles here we go again. It's not the Ti it's the shi__y little bearings FSA is using. I am considering going back to steel. It's 1/3 the cost and only a few ounces heavier.

Bottom Line:
    This product has such a short lifespan I find it hard to belive that FSA has not addressed the problem. If I were selling a $90 plus BB I would make sure than in addition to being light it actually performed. Ti-whatever! This is a novelty Item.

Favorite Trail:   NewLight

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    price, ISIS Drive

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    I have read lots of bad things about ISIS drive BB bearings creaking and going bad in a short amount of time. However, so far this bottom bracket has held up just fine. It has endured quite a few winter rides in the snow and a very muddy and wet spring and early summer here in pittsburgh. About a month ago there was a creaking so I removed the cups and bottom bracket. The BB felt like it was spinning smoothly so I cleaned and regreased the cups and that solved the problem. So it had nothing to do with the bottom bracket.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and challenging

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   XT square taper

Bike Setup:   2000 Jamis Komodo, Manitou Black Super, XT/XTR/Race Face, Avid Mech Discs

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty. Smooth movement. Looks well engineered.

Weaknesses:    Only lasted 3 months.

Bottom Line:
    This BB has only 100 miles on it. It's hard to believe that it has developed play already. The XT's never did this. It's covered under warranty, but I'll be getting something different—maybe the RaceFace Signature FR.

Favorite Trail:   Ravenshoe

Similar Products Used:   XT square taper.

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee FR, and a bunch of expensive components.

Submitted by Tim from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    Lasted a year?

Weaknesses:    Bearing developed play after 6 months. The spindle shattered after 1 year.

Bottom Line:
    Seemed ok for first couple months. Then major slop in the bearings after about 6 months. The BB just shattered and is in for warantee. I wouldn't reccommend it for any free-riding. Go for the Platinum or go Race Face.