FSA Platinum Pro BB Bottom Bracket

2.22/5 (46 Reviews)

FSA Platinum Pro ISIS bottom brackets Titanium-nitride coated spindle

Submitted by robriw3 a Cross Country Rider from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, Fits and mounts correctly, solid cups.

Weaknesses:    Short lifespan.

Bottom Line:
Lightweight for price, but will start to creak and pop before a year. Both the Platinum and Ti models only lasted 9 months before starting to go. I race and ride crosscountry a lot, but have gotten up to 3 years of service from other brands such as Shimano and Raceface. It will still ride smooth and free for several months after the cracking and popping of the bearings start, but who wants to hear that. Buyer consider.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Store

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Raceface, FSA Ti version

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air & Specialized Enduro

Submitted by maico 75 a Cross Country Rider from Oakdale,Ca

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Used for 3 months (checked tightness during this time) and it started creaking. Tightened-creaked, tightened-creaked. Checked BB splines and they were very worn. Original Truvativ BB lasted 6 years with no wear on splines. Returned BB to FSA for warranty, it was returned saying they could find no problem. WTF.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this or any other product from FSA. With all the problems they are having with this bottom bracket and they will not warranty? In this day and age a company that has no customer support does not deserve to exist. Bought a new Truvativ BB, the FSA is in the garbage can.

Favorite Trail:   Mr Toads

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ- Lasted 6 years

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 98- basicaly stock

Submitted by Zacdos a Cross Country Rider from WA state

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Looks pretty, Kinda light I guess

Weaknesses:    Broke way too fast for me

Bottom Line:
Ok I have hardly ridden this bike much in the 5 years I have had it. Rode for 6 months straight then had a major crash and could not ride for a time (too long). Was riding it yesterday and felt play in the BB so removed it and it was trash. I am not hard on parts by any means and do not do big drops. Even though my cranks are still fine I am considering dumping ISIS and going to Square Taper!!

Favorite Trail:   like just about everythibg

Similar Products Used:   none on this bike setup

Bike Setup:   El Saltamontes, RF cranks ISIS

Submitted by Freddie a Cross Country Rider from Harbor City, CA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    Been dead reliable. Throw it on and forget about it. No creaks, no loosening, no play, bearings smoooth!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely no issues whatsover after 2 years of riding (I do live in drier So Cal) and the cranks spin as smoothly as the day I installed this bottom bracket. Hell I've totally forgotten about this product and even forgot to regrease the bottom bracket shell and threads at the end of the first riding seaon. The Race Face Signature that was installed previously NEVER spun smoothly and the bearings became gritty very quickly.

Great job FSA!

Similar Products Used:   POS Race Face Signature (bearings totally contaminated and gritty after one season), TruVativ Giga (developed play, didn't seem to hold its grease)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight. Bottom bracket attached to TruVativ ISIS Team cranks.

Submitted by corey a Weekend Warrior from se us

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Strengths:    it works, its smooth, its quiet.

Weaknesses:    price is a little high

Bottom Line:
apparently a lot of people have had bad luck with this bb, I have not. I'm 210lbs and don't ride real aggressive but I don't exactly slow down for rock gardens and rough stuff either.

guess i'm one of the lucky ones

Favorite Trail:   one with dirt and rock

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   old no name square taper

Bike Setup:   basic hardtail with truvativ stylo cranks

Submitted by Reamer a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2007

Strengths:    It fit my frame

Weaknesses:    Bearings do not hold up.

Bottom Line:
The bearings started feeling like broken glass marbles after a few months of riding. They still function and haven't broken, yet. But very rough.

Favorite Trail:   Aspen Creek

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, SHimano

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Conquistador Tandem MTB

Submitted by Mick a Cross Country Rider from Dublin

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Only have it a coupla hours, it feels really smooth

Weaknesses:    But it's already started to creack, and squeak halfway through a rotation

Bottom Line:
Not impressed with it aready squeaking, am going to return it tomoro

Purchased At:   Cycleways Dublin

Similar Products Used:   truvativ giga pipe...3 years

Bike Setup:   Cowan, Pikes, Combats

Submitted by Luke a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    *Titanium version! Light, smooth & suprisingly strong!

Weaknesses:    None, well maybe the price?

Bottom Line:
I have thrown everything at this BB in the 2yrs of racing downhill & extreme freeriding with MASSIVE drops & it hasnt skipped a beat! :)
Even though its not a DH BB, it has worked perfectly for 2yrs, So i highly recommend it!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything Hardcore & Crazy!

Similar Products Used:   raceface

Bike Setup:   Well way to much to list, but a highend hardcore DH race rig!

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Rome Italy

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    Installed it correctly,and it simply works. no play, no noise, no fault at all for two years. Outlasted the RaceFace I had previously by a year

Weaknesses:    None..

Bottom Line:
It worked flawlessly for almost two years of downhilling. Now it is time to replace, but I got two solid years out of it, no play, no problems.. I don't know what these people are doing to them to have bearing probs, unless they are spraying degreaser as the bearing seals, or powerwashing the crap out of them. This has gone through mud, dust.. blah blah blah.. I have no idea how many DH runs.. and yes, I do a fair bit of pedling in between on it to keep in shape.. I've had nothing for probs at all.. Now, after 2 years, there is a slight bearing noise.. I've already ordered another one.. the last one was excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Lavagno

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace (mediocre at best), Shimano (complete and utter rubbish --but you knew that)

Bike Setup:   Tomac 204, Marz 888 WC, blah blah blah

Submitted by Random Drivel a Weekend Warrior from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff. Strong. Clyde Worthy. Your mom would approve.

Weaknesses:    Does not say "Phil Wood" on it.

Bottom Line:
Pleasantly surprised at how easy this BB was to install (but I used to wrench on bikes and Porsches, so go figure). After a few rides the seals loosened up and now I have nothing but pure buttery BB smoothness. Great BB to run with Middleburn cranks, and very clyde-worthy. Looks like FSA finally got ISIS right. About time. Have to say that the more FSA stuff I use the more I am impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Hitler

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   inbred 1 x 9 with Middleburn 180mm cranks and a bunch of blingy parts. Whoo Hoo.

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Cedar City, UT

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    Super light, and super smooth. Ti. Four bearings.

Weaknesses:    none that I've noticed.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Platinum Pro Megaquad Ti.

I've had a really good experience with this bottom bracket. It actually gets more smooth the more you ride it. It's also very light. Combined with the FSA Afterburner ISIS crankset, I'm only a few grams over the M960 XTR.

I was just riding the other day, noticing the buttery smooth pedalling, so I had to get on here and write a review.

Purchased At:   Down Shift Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano octalink, FSA and Truvative external BBs

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 5

Submitted by Ray Zapata a Cross Country Rider from PUERTO RICO

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    It simply went apart after a month of use and a 24 hr race..My recomendation do not buy it.I send an email to FSA and never answer my reply.

Bottom Line:
Do not ever in your life buy it is just a well look piece of crab. To finish my coment FSA do not reply ever and back up their products..again my recomendation DO NOT BUY IT..

Purchased At:   Ciclomundo Dorado

Similar Products Used:   Shimano octalink

Bike Setup:   Macalu Titanium hardtail....

Submitted by Pooh Bear a Cross Country Rider from 100 acre wood

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Strengths:    It's light enough. For me at least.

Weaknesses:    don't know yet

Bottom Line:
The first isis bottom bracket that held up for more than 3 months.
The RPM I used also comes from FSA but it went the usual ISIS trash can way after 1 week.
The Race Face one worked 6 weeks. Then the spindle was bent.
The Truvativ started making noise right after the first flat ride.

This FSA Platinum Pro thingie is lighter than the others listed and still spins smoothly. No noise. No mixing up of grease and dirt.
I once rode through a river that turned out to be bottom bracket deep. Well it didn't do any harm to this well machined BB. Two bearings on the right side work out quite well. If it dies - SKF will be the next.

It's good for XC riders. If you're a clyde and/or ride very aggressively - ISIS is no option for you anyway.

Purchased At:   www.bike-box.de

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Signature, Truvativ, RPM

Bike Setup:   steel rigid singlespeed with 2:1 gear ratio = lots of torque

Submitted by Grumpy a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Weak. Like, really weak.

Bottom Line:
A lot of people have bearing trouble with ISIS BBs. I would love to have had the bearings wear out on this BB, but the spindle broke. I was jumping off a 4" (yes, inch) rock and when I landed, craaaack, and both feet fell forward. I thought I'd pulled the BB shell off the frame, but nope, I'd schnapped the schpindle. Now, this bike is a XC bike. It gets used for XC trail, endurance races, but no jumps or hucking or DHing, gees it's a Superlight, not a VPFree. So please believe me when I say the bike doesn't get trashed around. Shame about the BB, because the bearings were still buttery smooth. I'm going to try a SKF next.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Signature.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Race Face ISIS Turbine cranks.

Submitted by cooper a Weekend Warrior from midwest

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    Light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Started creaking after 2 months. Now it sounds like a cracking kindling!

Bottom Line:
Unless you are a light rider, dont buy this product. I am heavy on cranks, but this thing really disspointed me in lifetime. I gotta get something better fast or else I have the feeling my cranks will stop spinning soon.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Similar Products Used:   EVERYTHING! Raceface, SHimano (supercrap!), World Class, Synacros, Truvativ... square, isis, and outboard. still prefer a good old square spindle!

Bike Setup:   ROAD BIKE! 97' Fuji team w/ last gen Dura Ace, Bont Cyclocross cranks, Rold Vectors.

FSA Platinum or Platinum pro BB?

So I'm trying to get together a list of things i need to buy to swap my parts over to my new frame. Old frame is a 73 MM BB shell width, new is 68. Now, I know I've got either an FSA Platinum OR Platinum PRO ISIS BB in there... trouble is, can't remember which. This is significant because appa ... Read More »

FSA Platinum Pro Ti and Ti E /BB 73 x 113

What is the difference between a FSA Platinum Pro "Ti" and FSA Platinum Pro "Ti E" 73 x 113mm BB? What is that "E" on the end of the other Ti BB? Thanks again for the input.Read More »

FSA Platinum Pro ISIS Mega Quad BB strong enuf?

Is this strong enough for hardcore XC ( hammering, no jumps ) ?Read More »

Is this a MegaQuad or regular Platinum pro Ti BB?

shop and FSA say it is a MegaQuad because part number (200-1075) on box is correct. I say no way - this must be an standard 2004 platinum pro ti BB. It doesn't look like the megaquad on the FSA website and the non dirve side bearing is about 7mm wide (sorry for the wierd units on the ruler - I ... Read More »

Anyone want to trade a FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB ISIS 68 x 113 BB?

for a 73 x 113 ISIS FSA Plat Pro Ti I ordered the wrong size bottom bracket. I need a 73 x 113. Anyone want to trade? Or know who has the best price on these? Thanks, KManRead More »