Crank Brothers Cobalt Bottom Bracket

• Shell: Laser etched 6061-t6 anodized aluminum
  • Threaded cups: 6061-t6 anodized aluminum

Submitted by Captain Crash a Weekend Warrior from HB, CA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Warranty, Weight, Customer Service, Blingy (when out)

Weaknesses:    Same as all ISIS, bearings are small

Bottom Line:
Good BB with a good company behind it. I had the Cobalt Chromoly on my single speed for 3+ years, before I noticed the cranks didn't spin freely any longer. Not seized but tight. I sumbitted a ticket with Crank Bros, and mailed it off. 1 week later, I received my replacement Titanium BB. I would totally spring for a Crank Bros again. Awesome warranty. Thanks Crank Bros.

Favorite Trail:   Fallline

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   FSA, Shimano, Truvativ, Race Face...

Bike Setup:   Single Speed

Submitted by lexvil a Cross Country Rider from Phils

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Strengths:    Blingy, light.

Weaknesses:    Broke easily on me and I don't jump. Just usual XC riding.

Bottom Line:
The flange holding the spokes broke while on a slight uphill section of a fire road. Good thing I was not haulin ass of a catastrophic failure and imminent crash would have happened if at high speed. Maybe it's my 230 lbs but My bro who uses a Mavic slr and weighs around the same as me and ride the same trails seem to have no problem with his wheels. A wheelset at this pricepoint should be able to handle this stuff easy.

Purchased At:   Velo City

Similar Products Used:   Stock Bontrager wheels

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek fuel EX8

Submitted by 20tooth a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    Good marketing.

Weaknesses:    The non-drive side bearings are shot. Poor quality seals. Very overpriced, overhyped.

Bottom Line:
This BB should have lasted longer. 2 years sounds like a long time, but it was only used for commuting. If it can't take a bit of commuting, then it'll be worthless as a mountain bike BB. I regularly removed the BB, and regreased the blue seals, so I'm surprised to see the Enduro bearings have been so contaminated.

I'm also wondering why it isn't possible to replace these bearings. They press fit a sleeve onto the BB spindle, which keeps you from swapping out the bearings. If this sleeve was removable, it wouldn't be a problem.

Next BB to try will be the SKF BXC-600. Hopefully they know how to make a reliable ISIS BB (they'd be the first). My Egg Beaters also fell apart due to bad bearings, after 1 year or so. My new Time pedals have been better in every way. I've given up on Crank Bros due to poor engineering.

Favorite Trail:   The Ridgeline

Purchased At:   by a friend in the U

Similar Products Used:   Shimano lx and xt square taper, Raceface ISIS (also crap), SKF ISIS, raceface X-type

Bike Setup:   Used on an old Kona Explosif hardtail commuter, an eclectic mix of XT, sram, Marzocchi, etc

Submitted by kohook1 a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    It spins as smoothly as it can given that it has a lot of play

Weaknesses:    Two months of commuting through a Chicago winter and it has developed a bunch of play. Every time I get on the bike it's click click click.

Bottom Line:
I should have switched over to some other crank/BB system. ISIS just doesn't work.

Favorite Trail:   Claremont Wilderness Park

Bike Setup:   17" 1998 Schwinn Homegrown, Salsa Cro-Moto rigid fork, 700c Cane Creek X-Cross wheelset, Mavic Brake Adaptors.

Submitted by Crash Bang a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    It looks pretty and comes with a good warrenty (But will it be honoured?)

Weaknesses:    It is under-engineered and over hyped by Crankbrothers, like the majority of there products!

Bottom Line:
The bottom bracket looks very pretty, it is a shame the standard of engineering does not match, after 6 months of winter riding in the UK, wet & muddy, the BB is creaking, grinding & has developed lots of play.
It will be interesting to see if CrankBrothers come good on there 5 year warrenty.

Favorite Trail:   Afan

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   FSA, Raceface

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Fox 36, X0, Middleburn, Hope, DT Swiss, Chris King

Submitted by Hadouken* a Cross Country Rider from Midlands, UK

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    Strength
Weight

Weaknesses:    Non i can think of

Bottom Line:
I have run the steel spindle bb for a while now with the cobalt crankset, but having bent 2 sets of the non driveside cranks, i was offered a credit note from the UK Crank Bro distributor. I picked up the Ti spindle bb with the credit note, and i am amazed at how light this is! I have only had a few miles on it, but it runs as smooth as my last one, and feels just as stiff.

I'm giving this 5 chilis for value (because basically it was free), and 5 for the overall as this is the best BB money can buy (in my opinion)

On a final note, Crank Brothers customer service is some of the best i have ever encountered, and they all bend over backwards for you. (Big thanks to Mark at 2Pure, and John over in CA)

Purchased At:   2pure (warranty repl

Similar Products Used:   xt octalink

Bike Setup:   using FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue with the Ti BB

Submitted by zecarle a Weekend Warrior from alameda CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    it is a well known brand and the spec looked good

Weaknesses:    hard to install the drive side shell did not seem to be threaded right I could have screwed up the thread on the frame side easily, it took great care to not do so. not stable the first few months had to re-tightened the non drive side at least once or twice. and it ended up squeaking like you would not believe. I removed it after less than one year and installed a Raceface instead which was a breeze to install and seems very stable.

Bottom Line:
a disappointment. I also purchased pedals ( Mallet and similar egg beater type of system) from that brand and they started to fall apart after few months, with the Mallet the bearing literally disintegrated after 2 years

Similar Products Used:   FSA, RaceFace

Bike Setup:   santacruz superlight

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    Very well made, easy installation, 5 year warranty, super light but strong

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Its been a year now, and my hopes for an ISIS BB that lasts seems to be coming true. Its expensive, but with a 5 year warranty, I figure that's its the same cost as replacing a cheap one every year, and that's what I was doing. If it lasts for 5 years, then I would give it a 5 for value, but I'm only at 1 year. I have no style except bashing into rocks and trees. No bunny hoping light weight here! 215lbs.! Its nice and light, and still spins effortlessly after 1 year plus. Great product.

Purchased At:   Mtn High

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ gigapipe and other Truvativs

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner, RP3, Reba w/ Poploc, Carbon bars, K24 Hyd brakes, King/AC Hubs and Synergy rims, Thomson seatpost, X.9 Sram and Truvativ cranks

Submitted by eric a Weekend Warrior from florida, usa

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2008

Strengths:    Certainly looks the part.

Weaknesses:    Saddly it's toast after 8 months (roughly 800 miles)

Bottom Line:
I had great hopes that the CC Cobalt would be the final word in a quality ISIS BB. I could not have been more pleased until it became stiff and ceased after 8 months of use. I guess I'll find out how well the 5 year warranty works and try again. I will hold off giving a poor score until I see how the relpacement does.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face

Bike Setup:   06 Giant Trance w/ mods & upgrades

Submitted by Gary a Racer from Aloha, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, seals

Weaknesses:    Spendy

Bottom Line:
After the FSA froze up from Cyclocross racing I bought the Cobalt. This thing is still smooth after several hundred miles of training rides, 7 XC and 6 Short Track MTB races. Think it has a couple of Cross races on it too.

To give a clue as to how hard I ride, this year I blew out the seals on both the AD-12 and Judy fork, broke 2 wheels, one chain, the derailleur hanger and destroyed an SRAM PG990 cassette.

Haven't noticed any flex. I'm 6'3" and usually 200+ lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Phils' Trail Bend, OR

Purchased At:   Trailhead.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano UN-51's about twice a year, FSA

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-30 Carbon, Race Face Turbine, Eggbeaters SL, Avid 9.0 brakes, Sram X.0. drivetrain, Thomson post/Stem, Easton Monkey Lite Bars, Cane Creek AD-12/S-6, beater Shimano XT hubs.

Submitted by Tony from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2007

Strengths:    - Buttery smooth
- Strong and stiff
- Comes with rubber seals
- Looks nice

Weaknesses:    - Looks nice but you never see it...

Bottom Line:
I use this BB for everything from XC to DH runs at Whistler, it's taken some big hits and is no worse for wear, mind you i haven't had it that long. Quality BB for most riding styles. Be sure to lube the ends very well.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Race Face SRX BB

Bike Setup:   2006 Transition Preston

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Super smooth, light

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've only gotten few rides in with this crankset/bb combo, but man its sweet. Super smooth and light. Not to mention it looks sweeeeet. I'll have to write another review after 6 months or so once I get some miles on it. But for now, super stiff and the shifiting is smooth.