Action Tec Ti Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

3.94/5 (16 Reviews)

Ti Bottom Bracket

Submitted by Alison a Cross Country Rider from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Strengths:    Light, never had a problem

Bottom Line:
Great BB for light riders. Speedgoat installed BB for me when I bought the frame. Never had a problem in 3 years of use. Only thing making noise on the bike is the Hope freewheel and its supposed to!
This BB is not recommended for people over 175lb; if this is you, don't bother buying one!

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   XS Racer-X, hope minis, SID SL

Submitted by biker bika a Downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHINGbearings blew in the first 3 dayz then i got htem replaced the 4 dayz later cracked the axel

Bottom Line:
THERE SHTITY

Favorite Trail:   ur gf

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   umm raceface evolve

Bike Setup:   ..

Submitted by PAT BEEZLEY a Cross Country Rider from LAKE FOREST, CA.

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    LIGHT WEIGHT, EASY INSTALLATION,

Weaknesses:    BETTER SUITED FOR RIDERS LESS THAN 185 LBS

Bottom Line:
THE STRONGEST OF THE LIGHT WIEGHT SPINDELS DUE THE SPECIAL TITANIUM METALURGY SPECIFIC ONLY TO ACTION TEC SPINDALS. I HAVE USED THIS SPINDAL ON 3 DIFFERENT BIKES THAT I HAVE OWNED AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED BREAKAGE OF ANY KIND. THE ONLY THING I HAVE TO DO IS REPLACE BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS EVERY YEAR AND A HALF OR SO; DUE TO SEALED BEARING WEAR. BUT I THINK THATS PRETTY GOOD CONSIDERING THE ABUSE I GIVE THEM DURING THAT TIME. THE TRAILS THAT I RIDE HAVE A TENDANCY TO WEAR PARTS OUT ON A YEARLY BASIS.

Favorite Trail:   ANY STEEP TECHNICAL TRAIL W/O DEATH AND DIEING

Purchased At:   ACTION TEC

Similar Products Used:   SHIMANO

Bike Setup:   HAVE USED WITH COOK'S CRANKS,COOK BROS. CRANKS AND RACEFACE CRANKS

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Sycamore, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Simple, and inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    That cup tool needs work.

Bottom Line:
I installed it 2 years ago and haven't had to touch it since. It could be because it was mated to a new crankset, or it could be because of a generous amount of anti-sieze, and it can't hurt that I weigh 150. But it is put through creek crossings, sand, and mud on a regular basis and has yet to disappoint.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Cut and Kettle

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Dean Jester, Tru fires, White bros. xc4.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, Strong, Customer Support

Bottom Line:
Awesomely light. Replaced my old shimano bottom bracket, and it's a shame how much weight it took off of my bike. Strong and light, you can feel the difference. Have to watch it for first couple of weeks, as mine got loose. Had LBS tighten it up and since then no complaints what so ever.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Race Course

Purchased At:   Twin Sisters Cyclery & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Syncros, etc.

Bike Setup:   Da Vinci Custom FS, IRD TL5, Dean Titanium, Action Tec Titanium, IRD, Da Vinci, IRC, Avid, DT Hugi, SRAM, Delta, etc.

Submitted by Clay Holt a Cross Country Rider from Yuma

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight,Quality,Longlasting,

Weaknesses:    Creaks under power.

Bottom Line:
If you don't mind a little creaking once in a while buy It I could tell the diffrence in the pedal stroke and the bike lost 1/4lb. antiseize compound in the threads,helps for a while but basically I gave up. its not too hard to set up,(be sure you get enough shaft end-play so as not to side load the bearings,or so much as your pedals drift,ect)the spindle fits the bearings pretty-tight so make sure you get a good reading by tapping w/block of wood and hammer. antiseize compound everything.(mines messy but works well) yuma we don't get alot of rain I've had no problems with the bearings in almost 9 mounths and 11219 miles on that bike. (I have two outher bikes but I almost never ride them,) (I ridden 12132 miles from January 1st til today august 23rd 2001)and still going strong,Me and my action-tec bottom bracket. My best advice is if you don't mind a little creaking when really hammering big gears, buy it, if you can't cope with that then "White-Industeries" Ti bottom-bracket might be better because the bearing cups are longer and probibly won't be as likely to creak under strain Bottom line stay out of water,use anti-sieze compound,proper installation,ingnore creaking,pay money and its prefect,the wrench doesn't get any awards either,but I kinda like mine its got charactor and it works real good,this bike rarely see's dirt though (I've got a Gary-Fisher for that.) creaking cost it though (a steel frame probibly wouldn't creak,Ti w/teflon tape probibly not,I havent ever heard of anyone using teflon tape w/alloy frames perhaps I'll try that next time I've got I apart.) If it works I'll let you know

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I ride

Purchased At:   Frankford

Similar Products Used:   Un72(xt)and outher shimano junk

Bike Setup:   Old cad1 w/lotsa goodies,(fart around bike)Roads,sidewalks,dirt-roads,chasing roadies ect

Submitted by Gabriel Temmy a Cross Country Rider from Surabaya, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to replace bearing, beautiful craftmanship, LIGHTWEIGHT!!!

Weaknesses:    The Wrench tool!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I ordered 107 with 73mm shell width (like my previous BB), but the left cup is not flush like Shimano and FSA, so I replace the left cup with BB UN90 cup and intall a bearing. Work well!!!!! Be careful with the BB tool, it very weak.
4 chilli because of the tool. A great upgrade (especially the weight), and easy maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere that have a singletrack

Purchased At:   Action Tec online ordering

Similar Products Used:   Shimano BB, FSA Ultimax Ti

Bike Setup:   Miyata Elevation 2000, XT group

Submitted by Pat G a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Strengths:    Light, cheap, easy bearing replacement

Weaknesses:    cheap bearing fail very quickly, special included wrench needed, can't always find it when you are on long trips, wahh, wahhh, wahhh

Bottom Line:
Maybe it was just my bearings...but they seized up solid after only a month. I sold a frame with the BB in it, the guy put new bearing in it, more expensive american made, and it works fine. Maybe it was just me.

Favorite Trail:   Gunny Loop, CO

Purchased At:   on line dealer

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything out there

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by York a Racer from Southeast, Kansas

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Design
Weight
Cost

Weaknesses:    Wrench
Seals

Bottom Line:
THE WRENCH IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. Mine is so distorted it is almost unusable. I have to straighten it every time I use it. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and can tell you that the material used for this wrench is way to soft to be used for a tool. Plus, with only three notches in the cups, you can not use a pin spanner, thus you are forced to use the included wrench.

The bearings are sealed cartridge units. However don't mistake this as being sealed like the Shimano units. I had to replace the bearings in my BB today because water had worked its way into the BB shell and destroyed the bearings. I don't know where Shane D found bearings for $3, because I ordered 2 premium MRC sealed units today for just under $31 a piece! (I work for a company who does hundreds of thousands of dollars of business with the bearing supplier I ordered these from and can assure you this was a good price on these bearings) Action-Tec also sells a 'Dry-Valve' which is a one way valve that keeps water out of your BB. For under $10, it is an excellant investment for anyone.

On the up side, this is a very simple and effecient BB. You will be hard pressed to find a BB that is lighter than the Action-Tec. It is very easy to install and adjust, and the bearings are easy to replace (as I have been so unfortunate to find out). All of the components are beautifully machined and fit together perfectly. Being an engineer I thoroughly believe in tightening all bolts with a torque wrench and the liberal use of anti-seize compound on the spindle flats as well as the threads. Also make sure you use grade 8 or hardened washers on the crank bolts or you will damage your cranks. If you do all of this and your cranks are flawless where they mate to the spindle, I doubt you will find any creaks that others have complained about.

For the value, the Action-Tec is hard to beat and I give it five flamin' butt fishes for value. However, the wrench, and the inability to use a pin spanner, knocks the overall rating to 4 flamin' butt fishes. If you are looking for a light weight, gorgeous Ti BB that is easy to install, this is it. If you are looking for a truely sealed maintenance free BB, stick to Shimano, because if this BB was truely sealed, I would be out riding and not here writing this review.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Den, Arkansas

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STX and LX

Bike Setup:   '98 GT LTS-1000DS, Manitou SX Ti fork, Kore Elite Seatpost/Stem/QR's, King aheadset, Kooka cranks, Race Face rings, White Industries/Mavic/DT wheels, Avid Ultimate levers/Arch Supreme brakes, XT shifters/front deraileur, Proshift rear deraileur, Ride-On cables = superlight cross country full suspension flyer!!

Submitted by Maegus a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    light and LIGHT.. did I say light?

Weaknesses:    barely noticeable flex with the Ti spindle.

Bottom Line:
Nice red cups to match bike. No problems yet- I have crossed several streams, no creaking- Can't imagine getting any lighter. Got it from Speedgoat for only $75 with shipping. X-C riders need check this product out.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and tight

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   98 S-Works

Submitted by Shane D a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    Weight
Cost
Servicability

Weaknesses:    Cheap Installation Tool

Bottom Line:
I love this BB and have had no problems other than it does tend to creak after about 1000 miles but it is easy to work on and that's part of the fun. Just be sure to use Ti prep on the spindle and a good aluminum anti-seize on the cup treads and you're good to go. I weight 175 and beat on it and haven't had any problems. When its time to replace the sealed bearings just press them out and take them to your local industrial supply wherehouse and they can match up numbers and give you a new set for about $3.

Bike Setup:   Light F/S

Submitted by Rod Herring a Cross Country Rider from Austin,Tx

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Strengths:    Light and durable. Easy to setup. Adjustable Chainline.

Weaknesses:    Spindle stops tend to work loose. Installation/removal tool is cheap.

Bottom Line:
Bought this BB with the bike a couple of years ago. Very light and spindle has not bent/broken. Bearings are still good and easy to service. Only problem I have had is the spacers that align the spindle between the bearing cups tend to move around after banging the cranks on rocks and things. The installation/tool could be made a little better, the notches could be made to fit the bearing cups better. I have run this thing through water/mud/dust and it seems to hold together fine. No problems with bearings, just make sure you check for lube once in a while. I weigh 175lbs with gear and I can't feel any flex. Don't know that I have ever felt any flex in a BB at my weight.

rh

Favorite Trail:   Unamed

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Syncros(junk)

Bike Setup:   Wild Hare, 99 Z2 Bam

Submitted by Ken Kanuk a Cross Country Rider from Kew UK

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I to bought this product because it had been on the market for such a long period of time that I felt sure that it would be trouble free...
The thing creaked after about two months, servicing ie reinstalling the cranks would solve the creaking for two rides but the creak would slowly return. When I say creak that was the first noise this little creak would become a clicking popping metalic gnashing noise that would cause people to literally stop to see what the hell is making all that racket!
I tried installing the cranks dry, wet..it just didnt make any difference.
No way could I get this noise to stop, I pulled the 120 bucks worth of *&!>* and put an old shimano unit into my beloved Moots Ybb\Sl, no problem since.
So like the chap earlier I have a low mileage ti-BB for any one who wants to buy...

Favorite Trail:   Devils Punchbowl

Submitted by Aaron "redbaron" a Racer from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2000

Strengths:    This bottom bracket rules, I have broken six sets of american made cranks but this bottom bracket still going strong, and i have only changed the bearings once and that was because I didn't maintenance it...at all.

Bottom Line:
its a nice bb...buy it if you are weight conscious and want the titanium ....
if your not worried about weight...buy shimano
If your are really worried about weight skip a meal, its easier for you to drop a couple of pounds then it is for your bike...a lot less expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Honda Valley, Hesperia, CA