Zoom Telephonics Stem Stem

3.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Zoom Stem

Submitted by LPLives a Weekend Warrior from Cologne,Germany

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    strong,cheap,easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    screw loosens after a while

Bottom Line:
It's a good, cheap and a very strong stem. I did a jump, which was 3 meters long and had now problems with it so far.
Only disadvantage is that the screws, from the faceplate, loosens itself after a while.Defiantly a go when you're on a budget like I am.

Favorite Trail:   BombenKrater,GER

Purchased At:   10,00$

Submitted by Alex Bonvie from Halifax, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    light, cheep, strong

Weaknesses:    too long for my liking

Bottom Line:
good fore some one saveing to get a new better one

Favorite Trail:   all trails

Purchased At:   my friends

Similar Products Used:   none similer

Bike Setup:   haro V1 frame pimped too sh*t, all custom

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Oil City, Venango County, PA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2004

Strengths:    Purdy....heh heh. Seems strong. Dirt-cheap.

Weaknesses:    Graphics will no doubt scrape right off...oh well.

Bottom Line:
Seems pretty servicable. No knocking the price. Nice finish, but the graphics look pretty lame (the 'Zoom' logo looks like it was sprayed on by an 8 year old).

Favorite Trail:   The Brown Crusty Rim

Purchased At:   Nashbar--Clearance

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Tioga, Kore, JD Components, SR, Nitto...etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   Zoom stem, seatpost (mysteriously branded "Kailin" as well), Zoom Gordo 650 double crown fork, Joytech hubs and disc brakes, Deore group, Titec Hellbent bars, Lake LX006 Dual suspension frameset, Wellgo WPD-103 pedals

Submitted by adam di cara a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    i lasted a while before it broke

Weaknesses:    the main bit in the middle twisted about forty degrees i have to admit it was a harsh jump i wouldnt trust it on big jumps

Bottom Line:
its cool for cross country if you dont have much money then go ahead and buy

Favorite Trail:   not telling you

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   too may toolst

Bike Setup:   i have beter things to do than list all the components on my bike

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from P.E.I, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Strengths:    -very light for the price
-not completely ugly
-very strong

Weaknesses:    -face bolts tend to come loose occassionally

Bottom Line:
If your just getting into mountain biking this is going to be the best stem for your dollar, it will last you for many years, i have done everything with this stem, downhill, cross-country, you name it and it's still held up! This stem could be used by any type of biker, i'm not sure how much it weighs but i've heard it's only about 220 grams! which isn't too shabby considering it only costs about thirty bucks at a bike shop.

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   cheap k-mart crap

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, cheap, light

Bottom Line:
This stem has been on two of my bikes and is one of the only original parts from my first bike, which basicly everything else fell apart on (even the frame rusted which is why I bought the Mongoose). It is a solid piece and has held up through a few good crashes, including one that I snaped the brake lever off the bike. If you have limited cash and need a new stem I don't think their is any out there that would serve you better.

Favorite Trail:   Wrandee's

Similar Products Used:   Koshi, interloc, Kona, cheap department store crap

Bike Setup:   '99 Mongoose NX 7.3, 100mm Judy Race, LX 8speed, deore/mavic 138 wheels

Submitted by Sam Hewitt a Downhiller from Farnham

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    SO DAMN strong and good looking. Hard as hell

Weaknesses:    A bit heavu and bolts react uneven if done wrong

Bottom Line:
Get it if your on a budget, otherwise get something like the 24/7 stem+riser combo

Favorite Trail:   Alice Holt forest jump park

Purchased At:   On bike

Similar Products Used:   Velocity stem / Kona stem / Box stem

Bike Setup:   Saracen 2001 X-ile dual

Submitted by ron spillers a Cross Country Rider from richmond, va

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    great looks, very light! Zoom competition zero degree rise 1and1/8 inch steerer.

Weaknesses:    I just noticed stess fractures in the front portion that wraps around the handlebar!

Bottom Line:
This is a great stem that gave me some good years of service. I ride fairly hard, but never really jump off canyons or anything. I was actually contemplating switching my handlebars because I was worried about fatigue when I noticed the stem itself was beginning to rip apart. This is kindof scary because I'm imagining myself on a fast descent with my handlebars coming completely detached from the bike. Another three or four weeks and kabloom!, I would've been dead. I'm not badmouthing Zoom, but it's a good reminder to be wary of light weight parts that are several years old. I've never broken anything in the past, I always figure it happened to other people. Bottom line, Where can I get another NEW Zoom stem to last me several more years!

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Bike Setup:   DBR dual response 1992-3 with hyperlite bars and 4.5 inch travel shocks

Submitted by Susan from Hibbing, Minn.

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely adjustable and well-made. Does what it's supposed to do. Light weight, too.

Weaknesses:    Looks weird

Bottom Line:
I needed a stem that was very adjustable and this does the trick. No problems at all. It's relatively lightweight, adjusts well and holds up well under use.
My only complaint: it looks dorky.

Similar Products Used:   Coda

Bike Setup:   road bike

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Barberton OH

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1999

Strengths:
+Stiff
+Cheap (it came on my bike though)
+Looks kinda cool

Weaknesses:
- Mysterious loosening of the faceplate bolts
- Looks kinda stupid

Bottom Line:
This stem does its job and it just plain good. I can't comment about weight because I haven't weighed it. Actually I think I heard it weighs something like 220 grams but I'm not really sure. The only bad thing about this stem is that on two occasions I have had the faceplate (the thing that holds the handlebar to the stem) bolts come loose and it made for a hard ride home (with the handlebar twisting back and forth!). It is not that big of a deal, but it was very unconvenient. I beleive this was due to me using the mtb that this stem is on for jumping off my backyard ramp (although I use it for XC racing too) and that might have been the cause. Still, I am only 100 pounds (junior racer) and I don't think my using the stem on jumping is a good enough exuse for what happened 2 TIMES. So, besides that it is perfect, so 5 flames, but subtract 2 for the loosning of its bolts.

Vultures Knob