Zoom Telephonics Adjustable Stem Stem

2.33/5 (9 Reviews)

The Zoom Quick Comfort stem is adjustable for comfort. Weight: 429 g Material: 6061-T6 stem Bar Clamp Diameter: 25.4 mm or 22.2mmTECH NOTES:Please noteThat on a 1" headset,The quill portionThat inserts intoThe fork steering column is actually 7/8" (22.2mm). On a 1 1/8" headset,The quill portion is 25.4mm (1").

Submitted by Phil Hefner a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Allowed me to set up my bike at a comfortable riding angle.

Bottom Line:
I have a Jeep for Jeep trails and a bike for bike trails. I don't expect to drive my Jeep on a bike trail nor my bike on a mountain trail. There is a place for all of us. My Jeep is stock and my bike is stock. We all need to ride our appropriate vehicles where it's appropriate and share the natural resources.
This stem is perfect for the type of riding where bikes are appropriate. If you're riding where this stem isn't good enough to protect your life you might want to reconsider where you're riding.
This stem is perfect for people who enjoy bikes for their intended purpose.

Favorite Trail:   Katy

Purchased At:   St. Louis Bicycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   Stock Schwinn Stem

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Ranger Stock purchased at Target.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    The feature of this product is that it is inexpensive and adjustable. I see this product's only purpose is to be a tool for finding your desired stem angle. This is what it does best.

Weaknesses:    This is a temporary device for determining stem angle.
This stem's adjustment angle comes loose frequently.
This stem is heavy.
This stem allows the handlebars to rotate.
This product is unsafe unless you tighten it at least once every other rides (depending on ride intensity).

Bottom Line:
This is a temporary device for determining stem angle.

It is good for that only. I highly recommend you do not buy this as a permanent solution to your stem situation.
Breaking your neck or busting out a couple teeth is not worth the cost of this stem.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Performance Forte'

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-22 with Marz Z-Fly fork, Cane Creek AD-12, Bontrager Mustang Ceramic Rims, Easton Carbon H-bar

Submitted by Frederik from Germany

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustability?

Weaknesses:    Pick any: weight, look, function, ...

Bottom Line:
This one is really a waste of money!
As most of the other reviewers described, you have to tighten the screws VERY often.
On the bottom there is a piece of aluminum and a screw, wich are needed to lock the stem. The aluminumplate fell into pieces after my third try of tightening the screws on this doomsday machine. I got a replacement part, but I didn´t install that crappy thing.

This must be the worst stem available.

Oh, by the way : It´s very heavy and very very ugly apart from useless.

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    flexability

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
I only put flexability as a strong point because I guess it did help me settle on a setup to order as a rigid stem, otherwise there is no redeming quality. It came loose in the middle of every ride over 10 miles no matter how hard I tightened it and even after loc tight. Everytime I thought it was fixed I would start pulling up a tough hill or put weight on it going down an incline and just about wipe out.

Submitted by Mitch from Garden City Mo. USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Weak. It won't hold the steer tube tight enough. It creaks when I climb and really pull on the bar.

Bottom Line:
This stem Stinks. Save your money and get a rigid stem. You wont be satisfied with this one

Similar Products Used:   Assorted Stems

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Cavendish VT USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Strengths:    Adjustable, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Potential for flex at joint.Kinda clunky looking

Bottom Line:
I read the above reviews before buying and on my first ride the joint loosened. I then reefed down on the screws really
tight and have had no problems in 2 years. They will help you find a good position if you you are experimenting.

Favorite Trail:   20 Mile Stream

Bike Setup:   Older Stumpy, Manitou SX LT, XT, LX

Submitted by brobbo a Weekend Warrior from Mississaga, Ont, Can

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Strengths:    Its adjustable

Weaknesses:    creeks like a Mo-Fo, screws go loose

Bottom Line:
It came with the bike. It soon will be repalced with a solid stem with a rise similer to the seting that it is at now. The best use for this stem is using it to dial in your bike then puting in a solid stem.

Favorite Trail:   where few men have gone!!!!

Similar Products Used:   none 1st MTB

Submitted by Gord Chadwick a Weekend Warrior from Maple Ridge

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Its clunky, making it scary after landing a jump. Constantly had to check srews to make sure not loose.

Bottom Line:
It came on my new bike. It scared me from the start so I switched to a solid Axiom stem.

Favorite Trail:   Bald Beaver home made

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Chill

Submitted by Darrin Sharp a weekend warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got this stem because I had recently switched to an Aheadset-type headset and was lamenting the loss of adjustability. This stem allows adjustment of the rise, from maybe -25 to +25 degrees. The adjustment part works ok, but you pay a price - the stem is heavy, somewhat klunky looking, flexy, and creaks likes Grandma's rocker. I think all these problems are inherent in the concept itself - Zoom seems to have a done a pretty good job within the desgin constraints. I played around with it until I found a setting I liked, then ordered a new fixed stem with that rise (Profile Stiffy, will be reviewing soon). Kind of an expensive way to find the right configuration... Three chilis: Decent execution of a flawed concept.

2013 OPI adjustable stem

What is the largest rise the 2013 OPI stem comes in? I have a new bike on order and need more of a riser stem. As far as I can tell, +6 degrees is the highest. Anyone seen +10 or higher?Read More »

Adjustable Stem ??

I am having issues finding the right stem as far as proper fit. Anybody have experience good or bad with adjustable stems. I am looking at the Ritchey [url=http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=451137]Ritchey Logic - Mountain - Stems - Ritchey Adjustable[/url] My thought is rather ... Read More »

Custom adjustable stem for my Bad Boy 8 (2012) ? (or cannondale email contact ?)

Hi , i have the Bad Boy 8 (2012) and i unluckly (after i bought it) found out that there is no adjustable stem fpr this bike. At least cannondale does not produce it. So iam looking for some company that produces custom bike parts , like stems , and may help me out. Or maybe someone can give m ... Read More »

HELP NEEDED ! Is there a adjustable stem for the Cannondale Bad Boy 2012 ?

I like the Cannondale Bad Boy 8 , so i have bought the 2011 last year and wanted to convert it to a mixture of a trekking bike and a cyclocross bike put on an diffrent stem. Which worked well and i actually liked the bike : [IMG]http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/20120616192tsbx5iz1wv.jpg ... Read More »

Weighed Specialized 90mm adjustable stem

The oem Specialized 90mm stem with adjustable shim, all bolts and top cap weighs 170 grams. This stem came stock on the 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert carbon Evo R.Read More »