Truvativ Aka Stem

The AKA fromTruvativ could beThe ideal stem for your all-mountain bike. Not feather light likeThe XC stems, so its still plenty stiff, but not aTank like a DH stem either. 3D forged AL-7050 aluminum 31.8mm handlebar clamp +/- 5 degree rise

Submitted by SDKmann

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good, strong, lightweight, feels like it was made to a high standard

Weaknesses:    Probably can find something lighter in the price range if purchased at the MSRP

Bottom Line:
This stem has held up to regular abuse on mildly technical singletrack trails and keeps going. It has survived multiple high speed accidents including clipping trees with handlebar ends. Through all this the AKA has held up. This stem is probably not too light for an aftermarket stem, but it weighed significantly less than my stock stem. The stem components and the hardware are of high quality, in that respect it is worth the MSRP. Overall a great stem, especially if you can find one on sale.

Submitted by Uncle Six Pack a Weekend Warrior from Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    Available in short lengths and not as heavy as DH or FR short stems.

Weaknesses:    Wouldn't trust it for serious DH and FR abuse, although mine made multiple trips to bike parks

Bottom Line:
This is a solid, decent-priced stem for regular trail riding.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Truvativ XR3D

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by mister a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    it works well with truvativ holzfeller handle bar.the lenght of stem depends on what type of mountain bike set up you are up to, and as well as the built frame of a person. good for the budget.nice simple design

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy but considerable.

Bottom Line:
compatability before you buy

Favorite Trail:   grand trail

Similar Products Used:   syncros

Bike Setup:   sram x7 group set,xt hub, avid bb7 ,trek 8500 frame,truvative holzfeller handlebar. epicon shocks

Submitted by doglet a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    for me the ultimate length of 60mm. Quite an illusive length when you think about it as most companies always supply stems left over from the early nineties i.e. too long and DH stems are usually the other extreme (50mm) but everyone seems to put on a 70 to 90mm stem which is too long for my AM rig for v.rocky extreme XC trail in HK

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Haven't noticed any flexing. Don't know why it has to be so heavy. Learning to ride with it. Very good results so far. The trails I ride are very demanding and need a good balance of control both up loose rocky sharp inclines and rock gardens with attitude, plus the normal XC mix of sandy berms and roots and mud.

Favorite Trail:   they're all good as long as I am on them

Purchased At:   friendly bike shop,

Bike Setup:   Kona Four Supreme with revelation air U turn (100to 130), gravity dropper seat post and wide bars.

Submitted by bpotstra a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    • Looks good
• Cheap

Weaknesses:    • Heavy
• Flexy
• Poor quality control

Bottom Line:
I bought this stem to go on my cyclocross race bike. I needed a cheap stem that was about 20mm longer than my existing one, so I bought this cause it was cheap and white.

I knew it was a heavy stem, but figured because it's a mountain bike component, it would make up for the weight with extra stiffness. NO. I was wrong... this thing torques and bends side to side like crazy! Maybe you wouldnt notice this so much with a plush fork, but with the stiff carbon forks on my bike, it's very evident.

Also, the quality control seems to be quite poor. I could NOT get my bars aligned properly in the clamp! Even when the stem was perfectly lined up with my front wheel, the bars would be skewed to the left. I tried multiple times to set it straight, but eventually went back to my FSA stem.

Overall, you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   cyclocross loop