Home | Reviews | Stem | Titec

Titec Fast AL Stem

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 160 grams MSRP : $85.95

The svelte and sleek single bolt steerer clamp and dual-bolt Kick-Back cut-out bar clamp provide viciously secure connections on both ends, welded to the lightest, narrowest extension we could design without sacrificing strength or stiffness.
  • Material: 7075-T6 DB Heat Treated Aluminum
  • Construction: TIG-welded

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by iloper a Cross Country Rider from Lisboa, Portugal

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    Reliable, good looking, stiff.

Weaknesses:    weight: 190g is not a light stem

Bottom Line:
    A great stem for the XC people. very reliable. good value. it would be nice to not have 80g, but not too bad...

Favorite Trail:   Sintra, Guarda

Purchased At:   Auction

Similar Products Used:   ITM

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black, XT, LX, Ritchey, IRC, Michelin, BOntrager

Submitted by Rain from oregon

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    superior torsional stiffness, wide bar-clamp, came with a bike. This stem is neutral enough to evaluate handlebars.

Weaknesses:    an ounce or two and a few mm extra steer tube hieght which are actually hidden strength when facing a 4 footer.

Bottom Line:
    Stiffness and quiet, secure clamps are a stems purpose. This is the stiffest xc stem for the price I've tried.

Similar Products Used:   easton, ritchey, race face diabolous

Bike Setup:   I've tried this stem on three bikes. It improved the handling in all cases.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    Holds handlebars, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Definitely heavier than advertized. Single bolt clamp looks ill... it will have to earn my trust.

Bottom Line:
    I actually read the review below before I bought it on Ebay. Thought big deal.... weighs a little more than advertised. I know I shouldn't expect much for 6 bucks, but it really feels heavy. I bought it to replace a Ritchey Comp, thinking the comp is nothing but a low end stick of aluminum, but the Ritchey is considerably lighter. I thought the Fast Al would be a real light weight cross country stem. Oh well. I also bought it because I wanted it to match my seatpost. So that's what I get. So my advice is: buy it if you find it for $6 on Ebay and want to match your Titec seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   Elk Meadows

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT custom built by me

Submitted by Johnny Coolwood a Racer from Centeral NJ

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Strong and stiff enough

Weaknesses:    Weight heavier than claimed and steel bolts rusted after the first wet ride.

Bottom Line:
    The stem is listed at 160 grams. It weighed 192g for the 100mm. Would not have noticed it, but I swaped it for a lower rise stem. Plenty good enough, but I would have been unhappy to spend the money on this with it being a bit heavier than claimed. Steel bolts rusted inside the head after the first ride.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC 1 XTR CrossMax

SSWC history for Fast Eddy et al.

So its been settled what the first production SS frame was (Ventana El Toro, or [I]Window The Bull[/I] in English) and the hunt for old SS pictures is underway. I took Fast Eddy's initial thread on a tangent when I wondered out loud when the first Singlespeed World Championships were held - I mighta ... Read More »