Home | Reviews | Stem | Thomson

Thomson Elite Stem

4.68/5 (181 Reviews)
Weight : 110mm weighs 199 grams MSRP : $96.99

Machined 7000-series extruded bar stockBolts are custom-made heat-treated steel with corrosion-preventative platingHeight = 42.5mm, 199 grams Item Specifications Color Black Weight 199 g Intended Use Mountain Bar Clamp Diameter 25.4 mm Stem Angle 90 deg Stem Length 50 mm SteererTube 1-1/8"Threadless

Submitted by jonshonda

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    It's Thompson, not much else to say

Weaknesses:    Spendy little bugger

Bottom Line:
Prior to buying this stem, I dialed in my setup with cheapo stems until I found my sweet spot. Once I knew what the specs of the stem were that I wanted, I called upon Thompson for the final stem.

I am a clyde who is rough on parts, and have yet to even think twice about this stem. Plus the ladies like long black stems with a little bit of a rise.

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from North Van

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, looks good, does what it's supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Requires the installer to have a modicum of mechanical aptitude.

Bottom Line:
Great stem and if installed correctly, totally reliable.

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Submitted by Patrick Roenicke a Cross Country Rider from Fruita

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Made in America, and has yet to fail me. Every aspect of Thomsons' stellar reputation is deserved. Set it, forget it, except when you're putting your bike on the rack and realize how beautiful the handmade machinework is. Awesome, awesome stem. Quality through and through.

Weaknesses:    This stem won't stand up to a 250 lb downhiller. This is NOT the stem's fault.

Bottom Line:
A true 'deserted island' piece: if you're stranded on a deserted island and can have only one stem--this is the stem to take with you.

Favorite Trail:   The one that is open...?

Purchased At:   Purchased from a fri

Similar Products Used:   Easton, etc.

Bike Setup:   1992 Cannondale, Beast of the East

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, proven, slick graphics and design. Wide clamp.

Weaknesses:    It is a very expensive stem if you are not getting it on sale or clearance.

Bottom Line:
I got these on a huge sale at my local Performance bike shop. The technician in the back recommended that I pick up the stem because it was such a good deal and no one was interested in buying that type of hardware. Turned out that these were going for $55 each. I installed it and used it for about three months and loved the confidence I had using this product. I went back and none of them had sold. So I threw down the cash and picked up one for each of my bikes. Could not be happier.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really equals this stem.

Bike Setup:   I use this on all my bikes.

Submitted by alvincaesar a Weekend Warrior from St. Lucia

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    Everyone Knows There's nothing to fault

Weaknesses:    You meant, Installer's weakness?

Bottom Line:
All I want to do is thank Thomson for the great company that they are. Everyone already knows that their products are the best!

I however want to shower them with praise for their impeccable customer service, and standing by their product like no other.

My stem cracked and I contacted them via email,and was asked to send my stem in for replacement even after determining that my failed stem was caused by my errors, (overtightening the bolts. I expected to read that I would not be able to receive warranty replacement, but to my to my surprise was asked to send in the stem and they would replace it. Delighted as I was, I sent the stem in and received a replacement in one week.

I REALLY NEED TO SAY TO EVERYONE THAT THOMSON IS THE BEST THERE IS and I am thankful I made the decision to purchase the best there is. Thomson Stem and Seatpost! There're the best! Even if my stem was not replaced I would purchase another one.

Thank you so much for being the Company that you are. Your service is much appreciated.

Similar Products Used:   Bike came with another stem, that was immediately replaced by a Thomson (I did my research before)

Submitted by jaysalaya a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    LOOKS GOOD AND INNOVATIVE DESIGN, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
LOOKS GOOD, good feeling on over all performance, no substitute

Favorite Trail:   saratoga gap trail

Purchased At:   reeds' (but closed)

Similar Products Used:   TITEC

Bike Setup:   CHAMELEON AND HECKLER

Submitted by J Hill a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    Im a 220 pound rider that rides atleast 12-14 hrs per week,and would ride nothing but a thomson stem and seatpost, have bent others. Those two items are like security blankets to me.

Bottom Line:
best product out there, so good that i just bought a kona cyclecross bike and i,m waiting for my stem and seatpost to arrive, wont ride anything else. Thanks Thomson for such a dependable product.

Favorite Trail:   albion hills

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   raceface

Bike Setup:   kona king kikapu full xt chris king headset and hubs raceface bars

Submitted by epxhammerhead a Cross Country Rider from athens, ga , usa

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    the best, have used for several year

Bottom Line:
the best you can get

Favorite Trail:   ft yargo, winder, ga

Submitted by P a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Great feel, You can replacement parts, Thompson has great customer service. Took my abuse for a year and thats saying a lot.

Weaknesses:    Face Plate - Why else would they sale replacements?... Because they crack. At least you can buy a new one without replacing the entire stem, around $10.

Bottom Line:
I noticed a creaking in my stem, so I went in to investigate. As soon as I put a allen wrench to the face plate bolts it cracked. No big deal you can replace it, glad it didn’t happen in the woods and at least it warned me.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Race Face

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Well designed, quality of build, quite attractive!

Bottom Line:
One of those few, great components that you can simply set up and forget about. In addition, in the rare occurrence that the stem has any issues- a real, live, human being will answer the phone at Thomson to assist you in a timely fashion. I’ll pay a few extra bucks for that level of product support any time!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Various Easton

Bike Setup:   "Trail Bike"

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Looks great, strong and stiff, does what it should.

Weaknesses:    Makes the rest of my bike look bad.

Bottom Line:
Great stem. Helped the feel of the front end/steering a LOT. Really looks great, adds some bling to the bike. Does exactly what it should do.

Favorite Trail:   Kanuga, Paris Mountain

Purchased At:   Frank's

Similar Products Used:   Stock on 2 bikes

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, Monkeylite Bars, Thomson stem, egg beaters, firex crank, shimano shifters/derailleurs, BB5's

Submitted by Stefan a Racer from Oklahom City, OK.

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light and seeming strong aluminum. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Will not grip the fork tube strong enough. Had many problems with steering going out of wack no matter how tight it was. Went back to my Easton EA 30 and magically no more problems. Not worth the price and under performs.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the hassle. Poor pinch design.

Purchased At:   Price Point