Home | Reviews | Stem | Tahoma

4.16/5 (19 Reviews)

Tahoma Aheadstem

Submitted by Fatman a Cross Country Rider from Bavaria

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    isn't nice

Bottom Line:
Yesterday, I bought six steel screws for my FSA XC 120mm stem, since I have ruined two of the six original titanium screws (else a good thing, this FSA, even for a guy of 240 lbs with a moderate style of biking). As is my unevitable habit, I sniffed around a bit in my LBS’s junk box. Last time, I found a very nice old Concept stem, made out of that magic substance, steel. This time I got hold of this Tahoma stem. At a first glance, it looked nice and solid. Not heavy, either. So I took it out and asked “how much”. The guy in charge smiled a contemptuous smile and said: “it’s for free, take it”.
Back home, I tried it out. Result: you can’t put it on correctly. It isn’t plane. EITHER you can stear and the fork is loose OR the fork is correctly fixed vertically and the rotations is nearly blocked……….. No, it’s a Chris King. No excuses from that side. All other stems don’t have that problem except the Kore. So there is where the money goes with the more expensive parts: precision, and perhaps no nasty surprises (one remembers old Tom Ritchey's saying: cheap, durable, light: choose two of three). As I got it free, value is obviously good for me, though it takes up room in my garbage can now. But I would not buy it for any amount of money.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Similar Products Used:   Syntace, Race Face, RooX, Amoeba, Kore, Syncros older'n 1998,Icon, Salsa

Bike Setup:   TREK 8500 1998, full XTR, Marzocchi Atom 80 2001

Submitted by Shawn Sr a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, not too heavey, not bad looking, face plate design allows easy bar changes. A good cheap stem to buy for dialing in your sizing.

Weaknesses:    Noticed Creaking. I personally dont like Aluminum stems. They have the potentail to be hit or miss in regaurds to fatigue life. Also aluminum transfers a lot of shock and vibration to the riders hands.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat this stem for the 15 bucks I got it for. I'm using this stem to dial in the reach and rise of My Moots YBBeat. This stem is remarkably simualr in construction to the Specialized stem that came on My Stumpjumper. Anyway I personally don't like the feel of Aluminum Bars, Stems, Frames or seat posts. They feel too stiff and just jar you to pieces. Also no Aluminum chassis components are safe after 3 years of heavey use. Face it Aluminum is light cheap and easy to work with. If you overbuild it I will rival steel and Ti for awhile.I guess for 15 bucks you could buy 2 a year and change it every 6 months. For value a 5 makes sense, but overall get real this stem bearly squeeks a 3. Get it squeek squeek squeek.

Favorite Trail:   Pacific Crest Trail

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   The Specialized A1 stem

Bike Setup:   Moots YBBeat, Z1 X-FLY fork, Moots Layback post, Brooks Swift saddle, XT/XTR drivetrain.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from IL

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Light, very durable, no stripping of threads No matter how much I have taken it off. It is the one part I don't think about or worry about.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this stem on the most part based on reviews. It was a good buy at $22.00 and as in earlier reviews, it is a sharp looking stem. The picture on the SuperGo web page doesn't do it justice at all, I got the black one and it's been solid. I had some problems with the headset I had staying tight, found out it was the star nut. Anyway I had to take the stem off and put it back on several times, no problem with nuts striping or staying tight. I recently cracked my frame and GT was nice enough to send me a new Avalanch frame and new fork ( Thanks for the excellent customer service guys! )I will have to buy a new stem due to the geometry change. I am going to buy another one of these with a different rise, it works, it's solid, no stickers to come off, it's sharp looking and for $22.00 it's a steal. If you need a durable stem and don't have $100 to spend on one, this is the one I woulkd recommend.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Titec

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanch, XT, Judy Race, Sun R. Lite, Ritchey

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, California

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Mine failed

Bottom Line:
I am constantly looking for underdog/down-labeled products at reasonable prices. I think MTB riders get ripped off regularly, and all too often we are apt to spend big buck$ for products simply because of a silk-screened logo that wears off in a season. I was hoping for such a find in the Tahoma stem. I bought mine for $20 from Supergo because it was advertised as being or sturdy, forged construction. Mine, however, and all I've seen, have a large gap between the faceplate & body, and I could see that the 2 bolts holding the faceplate on were subject to much torquing and shear force. I weigh 190 pounds and like to jump, and in one season I noticed play in my stem. I removed it, and discovered two hairline cracks--one from the bottom bolt hole into the body, and one from the centerline of the steerer tube hole into the body. The cracks almost met, and I probably saved my collarbone by finding them early. Maybe others have had better luck, but now I shy away from all detachable-faceplate stems that don't have a very solidly engineered mounting system for the faceplate. The Specialized M2 stem I bought as a replacement (also on sale at Supergo) is in its 3rd year now, and still going strong.

Favorite Trail:   Super Berm, Bel Air

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2

Bike Setup:   1993 M2 Stump, '96 EFC, '96 XT

Submitted by Dougie E a Weekend Warrior from Brighton, MI

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, light, simple

Weaknesses:    Borrrring

Bottom Line:
The best value out there for a stem, for the cost of one high end stem you can get four or more of these from Supergo and try different lengths and rises. The Ritchey's are exactly the same forging as the Tahoma's. I do have one Tahoma stem with bad machining in the steerer tube clamp, so beware. I weighted them, they are lighter than most if not the majority of the high end stuff - the weights that Supergo claims are accurate. And of course its really tough to get better metal than a forged part. Five nuclear Godzilla turds even with one bad machined clamp.

Favorite Trail:   Backyard

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Ritchey, Haro

Bike Setup:   AMP

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Imlay City, MI

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1999

Strengths:
Looks GREAT
Inexpensive
Good workmanship
Lots of sizes

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
I ordered this thing because I needed a new stem, and cheap. Like everybody else, I got it for $22 at Supergo. I wasn't too thrilled when I ordered it, as the catalog picture didn't make it look that great. But once it is on the bike, it looks just beautiful....it is nicely polished, and it's lines are about as sexy as a stem can get, nice curves and all. The workmanship is top-notch, and as far as functionality, it has been on a couple of pretty rough rides already, and doesn't noticably flex or loosen (I did tighten the bolts just a bit after the first ride, but I have found this to be necessary for anything made of aluminum. I would highly recommend this thing..........

less than 1 month

Profile Boa

Submitted by Ed A. a Weekend Warrior from Washington, D.C.

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Inexpensive
Excellent-Looking Design
Several Sizes
Brushed Silver or Black Colors
Low Weight

Weaknesses:
Absolutely None

Bottom Line:
One of the best deals in mountain biking parts, period. These stems are made from one piece of aluminum for strengh, durability and weight savings. I have them installed on all my bikes in different sizes - 120 X 5 degrees, 110 X 17 degrees and 120 X 40 degrees. They are all finished beautifully in brushed silver. The overall design is simple and tasteful - two fork bolts, two handlebar bolts. For 1998, Marin used them on several of their bikes - inluding bikes over $2000.00. Since there are no markings on the stem, many bikes have them, but most people don't know it!All of my bikes have been dumped many times and the headsets and handlebars have yet to loosen. The stems still look like new and the bolts show no rust.Don't bother wasting money on name-brand stems, www.supergo.com has these in over one dozen sizes and your choice of silver or black - for $22.00.

1 Year

'98 Marin Mt. Vision
'98 Specialized Rockhopper FS
'93 Giant Iguana

Submitted by Roy cameron a Cross-Country Rider from Meaford, ON

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Strengths:
Light
Strong
Simple

Weaknesses:
Nothing

Bottom Line:
Sweat Stem

Bruce Trail

1 Year

Kore 3D Lite
Crappy old Threaded ones

Kone Fire Mountain

Submitted by Garan Sink a Cross-Country Rider from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Strengths:
Superlight, looks great, stiff

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Get it!

Explorer Park

less than 1 month

stock stem

Univega DS 900, Manitou Pro

Submitted by wes nelson` a cross-country rider from duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought this stem from supergo for $20 when i got my new bike. i've had several stems and this one is the best. looks nice, it's cheap, it's strong and they have lots of sizes. i do some trials and i've never noticed it flex that much. if you need stickers go buy some at the bike store.

Submitted by Michael a cross-country rider from So. Cal

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:

Good forged, non weld design. To the idiot that only gave it 3 chilis for quality, WAKE UP! You can pay more money for a name brand, but that does not mean that this stem is of bad quality. To the idiot that stripped his threads,
STUPID...DON'T OVER TORQUE! To the idiots that think Kore stems are light, WEIGH IT AND COMPARE IT TO THE TAHOMA! Tahoma is only beat by the Race Face in weight. Best of all, you can buy a Tahoma stem from Supergo for $20.
You can spend more money to impress your friends with some fancy logo, and a heavier stem, but why? I don't want to see some peddling billboard for the latest and greatest with the most money....Just ride!Five billion flaming turds for Tahoma!

Submitted by Jeremy B a racer from Ellington, CT

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I love this stem. I had to buy it cause I need a stem and a headset cause I purchased a Manitou Pro LT fork. It's Light, Easy to Install, and it's made out of Aluminum which makes it stong!!!!!!! Excellent!!!!!!1

Submitted by degear a cross-country rider from ny,nyc

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the Tahoma stem on my bike for six months. I have wrecked numerous times and raced about ten times or so. I have nothing but praise for this stem it is a bit flexy but has notcome close to breaking. For twenty dollars you have a great stem and some $'s in your pocket, for cross country purposes this stem is the bomb.

Submitted by Ron a weekend warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the Aheadstem Sonne4 with a 40 degree rise. For the $20 price at SuperGo, these things can't be beat. You can pay a lot more for a few grams less, but for me it's not worth it. There's not much more that needs to be said, but since these posts require 50 words, here it is.

Submitted by Luke a cross-country rider from Umass

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

You guys have to be kidding me, there is nothing wrond with the stem, it doesn't flex, the design is very durable. I ride hard do a lot of maintanance on my bike and this part never needed any. If you are looking for a good stem this is the one. Unless you want to dish out serious money for a nice label and weight savings of 2 grams.