Home | Reviews | Stem | Syncros

Syncros Hinged Mountain Quill Stem Stem

3.55/5 (51 Reviews)
Weight : 215g

• The logic of the bioval design. The oval widens and flattens at the handlebar side to provide heightened lateral rigidity, increased torsional resistance and laser-guided steering control.
  • Accept no compromise. All Syncros stems are heat-treated and artifically aged for maximum strength and fatigue resistance. That means a longer life. For your stem. And your skeleton.
  • No detail is too small. Like hand mitered joints, hand tig-welding and back gas purging. Not to mention a Power Zit to reduce the stress at the end of a weld. Craftsmanship lives.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior from Vic BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    High Quality construction,design and execution.Stiff and light.

Weaknesses:    zero

Bottom Line:
    First I'd like to point out this is for the "Hinged Cattleprod," NOT the "Cattlehead"(non quill),as described in the title (although with an incorrect photo).
    I am very pleased with this stem as it is noticeably lighter and stiffer, delivering an instant and precise steering.This stem borders on art with the amount of thought and detail in the build, like the machined-out alloy wedge.I had always wanted this stem but couldn't afford one, so when I saw this beauty for just $35 I new it would be the best $35 I'd spend.Oh and it just looks so sweet on my retro ride:p

Favorite Trail:   Too many to choose

Purchased At:   capital city cycles

Similar Products Used:   kona velocity, Stock RM steel quill and Answer ATAC Quill.

Bike Setup:   Old skool 1992 Rocky Team Comp w/ TB Project2

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth, MN

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    You tell people your bike has Syncros parts and they think..."oooh, cool!". I like the black color.

Weaknesses:    Came stock on my GT and wouldn't work correctly right out of the box. No matter how hard I have tightened the hex bolt, the handlebars still swivel with relative ease. Local bike shop replaced with Titec Bil AL. Syncros looks are so-so compared to the big, burly tubing of the Big AL.

Bottom Line:
    When I bought the bike I thought the Syncros stem and handlebars looked real nice. On the trail, however, the stem made for a real cautious ride. Until I had it replaced I was nervous throwing it into corners. I know others really like this stem, but the one that came stock with my bike just wouldn't tighen. Maybe it was just a defective stem.

Favorite Trail:   MN River bottoms

Similar Products Used:   Azonic, Titec

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Zaskar w/ XTR crankset.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    no bolts to bash knees
    highly polished flash

Weaknesses:    real pain to install
    unique angled top cap

Bottom Line:
    Like the previous reviewer, lots of grief getting this to work. I got mine used and I have a flat bar so minus the nause about bending the stem but the clamping bolt contraption wouldn't properly hold the steerer tube. I had to buy a new mechanism ($30 CDN) and the PLASTIC!?! top cap ($16 CDN) which were a bit of a costly surprise. The headset loosens up and tightening it is no small evolution. The stem is really tight on the steerer so you have to completely remove the bolt mechanism and hammer on the stem to get it down the steerer. I have pulled the star nut out and now have had to watch the shop struggle every time I need the headset tightened. Now the company is owned by GT and they spec Syncros on even their cheapest model FS bikes I am really disapointed. Used to be a sexy Cdn company in Vancouver and now is a cheap house brand that GT doesn't even really stand behind. Had a Syncros post that needed to be warrantied. The GT rep tried to convince me that a THOMSON should be sent back to me because they are "better". A sad end to what was a decent company.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Tzhuhalen

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey stem, RF SYStem

Bike Setup:   98 RM Element Race, mostly original parts

Submitted by Andy Orr a Cross Country Rider from Fort COllins, Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    Reputation

Weaknesses:    Difficult to install, impossible to place riser bars on

Bottom Line:
    Decided that my wife would benefit from a more prone position than what was allowed with the upright stem that came stock on her TREK. Bought this stem (SYNCROS CATTLEHEAD) on PricePoint.com for a great price - like $35.00 as opposed to its list price of $90.

First of all, it was the biggest hassle to install this on to her AHEADSET. They (SYNCROS) recommend you lose the starfangled nut and replace the guts with their internal stack. Their stack just would not fit correctly. I eventually got it to work but, I am pretty sure that the one piece that dind't go in was designed to go in. SO...

The stem is now on. It seemed a lot more complicated than it needed to be but what the hell... I start to lace the easton riser (a meager 8 degree sweep) bars through and they will not budge past the bend. I practically ruined both the stem (by prying it open) and the bars (by jamming them through) to make it work. They are on but they (stem and bars) look like they were dragged on the asphalt for a couple of miles.

First of all, there should be a GIANT DISCLAIMER on this product that they are not compatible with the increasingly popular riser bars. Second, this thing seems to be way overbuilt for absolutley no good reason and finally, what's with the cheap looking, stick-on SYNCROS label?

I just hope it works. I'll assume it does and deduct two chilis for my installation hassles.

Favorite Trail:   Serenity, Winter Park, CO

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Specialized, Kore

Bike Setup:   This was for my wife's TREK 6500

Submitted by derek a Cross-Country Rider from delaware

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
    It works. My handlebar is always where i expect it to be. It doesn't bite off skin, if my knee hits it in a crash. It doesn't creak or moan. Looks cool. And the alum. head cap doesn't break like plastic.

any singletrack

more than 3 years

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1999

Strengths:
    Not aware of any

Weaknesses:
    Customer Service

Bottom Line:
    I feel that Syncros does not care about their cutomers at all. They are very unprofessional and unorganized. If you intend on doing business with them beware, it is almost impossible to get help from them. Do yourself a favor and buy Kore as they are always there when you need them.

Valley Green

tested or demo'ed only

Kore, Easton

Cannondale

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
    PLEASE SYNCROS change the top cap.....make it from aluminium....anything, accept that so called glass fibre crap. As long as you don't redesign your stem a lot of other manufacturers like ControlTech (Team Issue Stem) or Easton are going to out sell you.
    PLEASE SNYCROS...listen to these critism and DO SOMETHING. If you don't listen, other manufacturers will.
    PLEASE SYNCROS....do not behave the way other rich successful corporate giants behave....all talk and hype but no action.
    Signed a very disappointed Synros fan.

2 Years

Submitted by Bradon a Cross-Country Rider from Reno

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
    It's light and . . . . that's it.

Weaknesses:
    Slips a little and the plastic cap can slide around.

Bottom Line:
    I'll agree with Chuck's posting below. The plastic top cap slips off the angled top of the stem and hangs over the rear. Yesterday I went over the bars and slammed the family jewels into this exposed plastic cap. One inch lower and . . . . . you get the picture. Don't buy this stem! The angled top is dangerous and can cause serious injury (especially with the plastic cap).

Peavine

1 Year

Control Tech

Ti frame w/SID and xt stuff.

Submitted by MikeD a Racer from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1999

Strengths:
    everything. I have had this stem on my last four bikes and it hasn't broken, I broke my last bike a Rocky Mtn Vertex but I still have the stem, now I'm on a Kona He! He! with all the vertex parts, but it has been through everything.

Weaknesses:
    nothing

Bottom Line:
    Light, Strong, and I think I'm going to have it forever. I have had the stem for almost 5 years and it isn't showing any hints of breaking yet. I run a riser bar and I like to be realy agrresive on all technical downhills and I like to do trials and go to the BMX track once in a while, I ride 6 times a week on the mtn bike. It will be the last stem you'll ever need to buy. Try the rims too they are just as sweet.

Milstream

more than 3 years

not too many, Titec ti, control tech, icon, but they were all on my buddies bikes.

Kona HE! HE! with all xtr and a 98 Z-2 Bam with Syncros rims ( XLR's ) and all race face parts.

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Strengths:
    Unique Looking, seems very strong. Like the new 3 piece cotter system

Weaknesses:
    Stickers? Come on, paint it or engrave it please - for this price!

Bottom Line:
    Really unique looking, very burly and very stiff. Nice overall design, but.... I have a non-hinged stem - which is fine, but it took an incredible amount of prying on the clamp to just insert my bar - causing the bar and stem to get a little nicked. For the price I paid for the bar and stem - 39+29, it was a really good deal so I can't really complain. The sticker logo nonsense could be improved though. Overall a great product.

Berryman

less than 1 month

Bontrager Ahead

Klein, White Bros SC90

Submitted by Gary a Cross-Country Rider from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1999

Strengths:
    Very stiff. I felt safer on this stem than the one that came stock. Also, very aesthetically pleasing. All in all, it's superpimp.

Weaknesses:
    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    Buy this...it is badass! There's not much else to say. It works well and looks cool.

less than 1 month

I have a Trek Y bike. The stem hooks to a Syncros rise bar, supported by a Manitou SX.

Submitted by wade a downhiller from s.e mass. usa

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have one of these almost brand new, still have the box and all the papers. retail is $120, best offer like aaaa aaa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a alike 75 or so?

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have a hinged ahead stem. The workmaniship and finish is excellent. The only two duff bits are the plastic stem cap, which broke, but which Syncros replaced with a alu cap free of charge (thanks guys!!), and also the wedge loc is a bit duff, but again Syncros replaced it with their new clamp, which allows safe use of a star nut. The stem is stiff, the hinge clamp really good. Overall fantastic. One grip though - the stickers are a bit naff - how about laser etching them guys ??? (But Syncros sent me new ones anyway). The website is also very good, with tons of info. Syncros = quality.......

Submitted by Chuck Stein a cross-country rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the hinged Syncros stem - it doesn't stay tight all the time, which is a pretty basic thing for an ahead stem to do. THE WORST, though, is the cheesy top cap (plastic) on the sloping top edge. If I tighten this enough to keep my headset solid,the cap slides on the angled top, and Voila! INSTANT KNEE SLICER!
    Well executed machining, but a part that can harm you ? Nah, we don't need this.
    BTW, if you really believe any stout aluminum stem will dampen ANYTHING, then I've got a sweet downhill corse to sell you in the Everglades. 1 chile for danger, and putting a slope in the top of an otherwise sweet piece (why, oh why did you do this?)

Submitted by JASON H.@ SYNCROS a downhiller from canada

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

If you have a loose headset/stem when using a Syncros stem, here are a couple of things that you should look for to help remedy the situation. Most likely, the situation is occurring with the use of a star-fangled nut with our old 2-piece cotter clamp assembly, in particular with an alloy steerer tube.You should inspect steerer tube for a divot where the cotter clamps. If you have a divot, you should contact your dealer or our service department (jhaycock@syncros.com) to arrange to get a '99 three-piece cotter clamp which now does not require the use of our wedge-lock and is compatible with any star nut.You should always be sure that your stem and headset are moving freely and that your fork is moving up and down through the headset before preloading your top cap. No amount of torquing a top cap will unstick a seized steerer tube and headset. This will save the top caps of the world.Ride on!