Home | Reviews | Stem | Sunline

Sunline V-One MTN Stem

3.36/5 (11 Reviews)

• Lightweight stem with the strength for long travel trail bikes
  • 31.8mm clamp size
  • Smooth clamp edges for carbon bars
  • Low stack height for more adjustability on steerer tube
  • Full CNC machined

Submitted by skeered1 a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    If I may say so, this stem will make any bike look good. I got the Gunmetal (dark gray). It's a damn piece of machinery...

Weaknesses:    Just like one previous reviewer, mines twists at the steer-tube after a hard crash. I also, normally grab the stem to lug the bike about. The square shape isn't grip-friendly as any round stems. My 80mm weights 206g compared to 158g for a 90mm Thomson X4

Bottom Line:
The steertube slippage on hard impacts is a concern - doesn't happen w/ the thomson or syntace. It shakes my confidence a bit commiting on techy sections but forces me to focus better. Reminds me of an ex-GF: gorgeous but temperamental!

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Thomson X4, Raceface Atlas AM, Syntace superforce, etc..

Bike Setup:   Titus ML....

Submitted by yeti575mtb a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Strengths:    Very solid build

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
Great product. My carbon EC90 bars do not slip with this stem and this thing looks killer and is rock solid. I'm not sure why anyone would rate this product anything other than 5 stars because it is very well made, looks great and the function is stop on perfect. A great all around all mountain stem. I ride very step/extreme all mountain trails on the central coast of California and this stem has never let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Glass Insulator

Purchased At:   eBay (New)

Similar Products Used:   Thompson & Hope

Bike Setup:   2011 Yeti 575 with full XTR including wheels-

Submitted by Ash T. Abula a Downhiller from Rocky Mountains

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, low-ish stack height, does its job well.

Weaknesses:    Apparently, based on some of the reviews here, there's a "weakness" because the product fails to tell rookie mechanics how to install it.

Bottom Line:
This is a solid, lightweight, blocky-looking stem that will work well for anyone who knows how to install a stem. That should mean "most riders" but apparently some don't know how to install a stem. If you fail to grease the bolts on the clamp or the faceplate, they can bind and be difficult to remove. The problem is the lack of grease, not the stem. Those who discount this stem because they fail to use or install it properly should not be reviewing bike parts, they should be attending remedial bike mechanic classes.

Light weight, good geometry, looks fine, cost is reasonable, and it's been working just fine for me for over 2 years riding very technical terrain at high speeds. Never had a bar slip or rotation, never had the stem move on the steerer.

Nice job, Sunline.

Favorite Trail:   that one

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace, Thomson, Salsa, Easton

Bike Setup:   It's a bike that uses a Sunline V-One Mountain stem

Submitted by TylerDCA a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa ON

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2011

Strengths:    Light, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Mountain hard is cheap... Stripped allen heads before required torque

Bottom Line:
Have to cut the bolt to get the stem off. This thing is going in the garbage after less than 5 rides. Last sunline product I will ever use.

Favorite Trail:   Outback

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ AKA, Raceface Evolve AM

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, 3 lengths available, looks

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, Handlebar slips, needed to buy extra spacers for steerer (low stack height)

Bottom Line:
This Sunline V-One All Mountain Stem combined with the V-One OS Handlebars should've been a great quality combo, but sadly the stem let me down. I torqued it to spec and to test it out, I compressed the front shocks and the handlebars slipped... warning flags should've gone off in my head saying it was unsafe, but instead I tighten it down even more and do the same test and then head out and take it down my favorite mountain. I failed to test the steerer for slippage, assuming proper torque was enough, before heading out and it slipped during the ride, but I was able to avoid a disaster and tightened it up more. The handlebar slipped when I was going fast down a fairly bumpy technical section and that caused me to panic, trying to grab handful of my brakes and put my foot down, and took a spill.

After reading other reviews, I can confidently say that any bike with this stem is an accident waiting to happen.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Beacon

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Control Tech, Bontrager, No-name brand

Submitted by dclxvi a Weekend Warrior from Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    look

Weaknesses:    threads!

Bottom Line:
threads broke before manufacturer specs... quite disappointing! Otherwise looks good..

Favorite Trail:   MSA

Similar Products Used:   truvativ, race face

Bike Setup:   All Mountain 6" bike

Submitted by GTIgor a Downhiller from Moscow

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff, look

Weaknesses:    Bars slipping, steer tube slipping, weak treads...

Bottom Line:
Expensive piece of junk, at first my handebar rotated, had to use significant torque to spot it (was worried if bars will hild up). Then went to trip with techy/rocky terrain and it started to slip on the steer tube. I increase torque - it kept slipping and it all anded up with a broken threads...

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Team, Thomson X4, raceface XC

Bike Setup:   Canondale Prophet / RS Pike / XT drivetrain

Submitted by kimi rossi a Weekend Warrior from manila, philippines

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight, cnc machined, smooth finish, unusual shape, looks very strong

Weaknesses:    low stack height means adding a lot of spacers if you don't want to cut your steerer tube too short

Bottom Line:
I was a fan of syncros AM stems, but when a friend recommended a v-one stem I found the shape very unusual and almost weird. I didn't buy it but after spending days looking at it and reading reviews on the internet I went back and bought it. It isn't really as lightweight as they say. It is just as light as my other stems maybe a little bit lighter. But I think it is really a thomson contender. At almost the same price I still went for the sunline even though I have a thomson seatpost. The look of this stem adds a different character to my bike, and the 65mm length is the perfect balance for ascents and descents. The bolts is very secure even if it is torqued lightly. This stem is very high-end. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   timberland

Purchased At:   cycle options

Similar Products Used:   syncros AM stem, truvativ team and aka

Bike Setup:   giant reign, rockshox pike, avid, truvativ, syncros

Submitted by mtbnachos a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, light for AM, price, pretty

Weaknesses:    Limited lengths, color

Bottom Line:
Sunline V-One Mtn could be the best stem for the money no one has ever heard of. Watch out Thomson! It's just as stiff as my X4, built for AM/FR but light enough for XC! Crazy! I rode full rigid for 3 weeks under some nasty stuff so it passed my "Oh s&%t" test. I bought the 80mm and it's just the right length for my Jabber. I wish they had a 70 or 90mm to try.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon, CA

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Thomson X4, Race Face, Titec

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabberwocky

Submitted by Maglor1991 a Downhiller from Preston, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Super lightweight (mine is the 50mm one and is 144g), cool grey colour, strong (no flex), and pretty cheap for what it is.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
This stem may say all mountain on it but it definably great for dh racing as its strong enough and looks awesome too, the low weight also means it would be great for xc aswell.
its pretty cheap really when you compare it to competitors, £45 may not sound so cheap but raceface diabolus stem is £75 and other light dh stems like easton, fsa, funn and more are all from £50 to £80 and none of them are as light at 144g (the diabolus is 250g).
even the fatter Dh version of this stem is only 200g and still £45

Favorite Trail:   Innerliethen

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Raceface diabolus.

Bike Setup:   06 Turner dhr, 07 marz 66, hope moto v2, sunline v1 am stem, truvativ holzfeller bars, etc

Submitted by Richard Amos a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    Solid, very strong, I dont think it will ever break. Has a nice gun metal grey color and good for carbon bars.

Bottom Line:
Great stem often over looked to the well known guys. Solid like I said I dont know think I will ever have to buy another bar and stem again.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon