Salsa Cycles MOTO ACE Stem

4.6/5 (15 Reviews)

SALSA MOTO ACE

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Waco, TX Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    Very beefy and robust design, Liplock system is not just a gimmick, it works. Nice finish and graphics too.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I wanted a really strong stem after my original one had the bottom bolt strip out after a year, not to mention it was a bit short and a bit flimsy overall. I saw the Salsa and expected it would be $80, but even at the LBS it was only $40. It is EXTREMELY robust and the Liplock system ensures the bottom bolt won't loosen up on every ride like my old stem. It has ZERO flex, ZERO creaks, and it has a very wide face for plenty of grip on the bar. For $40 you can't go wrong. Its not all that light, but the weight of a stem won't make any difference at all, and this will probably outlast my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park

Purchased At:   Village Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Stock Kona stem

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Cindercone w/ a lot of upgrades

Submitted by phoeneous a Weekend Warrior from las vegas

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, Stability, Weight, Rise, Length

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This was my first upgrade. I changed my stem primarily because on the stock Specialized stem there is a little sticker that says "Not intended for intense off-road riding". Seriously, it says that. So, I went shopping for a stem. I was looking at RaceFace, Kore and Titec. I really liked the MotoAce because of the look. The paint finish matches my handle bars to the tee. It nevers creaks, bends, loosens or breaks. The bolts dont strip or get loose. I like to silver face plate, adds spice to the bike. Besides, chics dig the chilli pepper :). 5 flaming hot ones!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Procyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stock piece of crap

Submitted by G Naz a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    Easy intsall, fairly light, came in lots of sizes, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    None, but the face plate could be a different color to match the stem. No biggie.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? This is a nice cheap stem. Salsa makes pretty reliable stuff, and this is no exception. I like their face plate design... I've never had any real trouble with other designs, but the Salsa system seems to make sense. It also came in a ton of different length/rise combos, so you've got a lot of choices. Not the lightest thing in the world, but it's not supposed to be a race stem. It's supposed to be dependable, durable, and affordable. Good job with all three Salsa.

Favorite Trail:   Banzai on the East Side

Purchased At:   Wheel & Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   Stock generic stem, nice Icon and Ritchey WCS stem on other bike.

Bike Setup:   '00 Trek 6000 set up for commuting and urban assult.

Submitted by Nony B. a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    Simple, Nice Finish, Available in various sizes.

Weaknesses:    Protruding Bolts that tend to rust.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 90mm version. Being used to a 120mm stem, I felt the handling improvement immediately. Nice simple stem yet looks kind'a cool. It doesn't look as wicked as my old Kore 3D but gets the job done. Weighs reasonably light. I replaced the bolts with stainless ones I bought from a local hardware store. Now the bolts no longer protrude as much and are totally rust free.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere I can ride

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kore 3D

Bike Setup:   Diamondback

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    functional.

Weaknesses:    no boutique factor. but still functional.

Bottom Line:
good functional stem. i have the 135mm 0d and have never run into any problem. for my next stem i would prefer a 4 bolt for rigidity though.

accept it or not, this is just another stem manufactured in the same factory using the same process and the same design. the structure is identical to many other stems (trek sys 2, tahoma, etc).

Purchased At:   ultimateridingsports.com

Similar Products Used:   control tech, syncros, icon, trek sys 2

Bike Setup:   Mrazek Boh FX

Submitted by Ra a Weekend Warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Finish, strength (mine's 6degrees 80mm long), price

Weaknesses:    hmmmm nope

Bottom Line:
Looks cool, gets the job done. what more can u ask?

Similar Products Used:   roox, cannondale(junk), concept

Bike Setup:   CDale SuperV, RS Psylo, Fox Vanilla, Sun Singletrack, Magura Julie

Submitted by AL a Weekend Warrior from Knoxvegas

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    beautiful looks, especially top cap, beatiful workmanship and quailty, and most of all, many sizes: basically everything

Weaknesses:    nothin 'sept the bolts rust easily

Bottom Line:
perfect!

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   reitchey

Bike Setup:   99 z1 alloy 10mm legth 5mm rise

Submitted by Paul M a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    Value, appearance, finish, overall quality

Bottom Line:
A great stem for the money, 17 degree rise worked great with the flat bar I wanted to use. Higher quality than the other stems I saw at this price.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Kore Forged

Bike Setup:   KHS 1000 Frame, LX/XT components

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    Best stem for the least dollar out there, good quality, a different rise than most (17 degrees) that's great when you want a little more upright riding position, removable bar clamp, comes with a nice top cap with chilis on it.

Weaknesses:    What weaknesses? It's from Salsa!

Bottom Line:
I have equiped my son & wife's bike with this stem. There is no better stem for the money! These can be had for $30 anytime, anywhere. They are as good as stems costing 2 times as much. They aren't particularly fancy but they get the job done nicely. The quality is very good, as I'd expect from Salsa.

If you need a good stem but don't want to spend a chunk of money, give the Sala a try. I think you'll be impressed!
If you want something more unique, get a Profile Stiffy. It's excellent and different, but it should be for twice the price!

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Ritchey, Syncros, Profile Stiffy (great stem, but twice the price of the Salsa).

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, Proflex

Submitted by jason a Weekend Warrior from Arligton, TX

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, nice finish, comes with Salsa top cap, good installation instructions, Salsa always makes good stuff

Weaknesses:    Um....I can't think of any. Oh wait!, I couldn't find it in red, that's kinda a weakness.

Bottom Line:
What can I say, it's a stem. It hasn't broke in half and killed me yet, so I guess its a good product. Semi-humorous intructions.

Similar Products Used:   I've got a Salsa brake booster, does that count?

Bike Setup:   2000 specialized rockhopper pro

Submitted by Missouri-Chris a Cross Country Rider from Rolla, MO

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Low price and light weight.

Weaknesses:    Flexy and it has a small grip on your handle bar. It squeeked if I didn't have the bolts cranked down super tight.

Bottom Line:
I ride a Single Speed so I really crank on my handle bars when I ride. This stem always squeeked and felt a like it was flexing. I traded it for a Profile Stiffy and I was surprised at how much stiffer it felt than the Salsa. I think that this may have had a little to do with how narrow the handle bar clamp is. At the same time I have friends who swear by it, but they don't ride Single Speeds.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Purchased At:   Route 66 Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Profile Stiffy, Control Tech

Bike Setup:   Ionic Single Speed.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Morgan Hill, CA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, light, functional, short clamp height. What more do you want?

Bottom Line:
I got the 120mm x 15 degree version of this stem and paid $25 from Universal Cycles, for my flat bar. This is a fine stem with removable faceplate. Why people pay $75 or more for a stem is beyond me. As far as I can tell, this thing does the same thing. At 200g and $25, I don't think you can really go wrong. 6061 aluminum does the job for me. Five flaming piles of diarrhea.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge, Santa Teresa Park

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Control Tech

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail, Marzocchi Z1 CR, the usual suspects

Submitted by jimus a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    Nice finish, excellent range of sizes.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this stem for my girlfriends bike because it was the shortest one available (50mm, 6 deg). She has a short torso and the 22.5 inch top tupe on her 15 inch frame is waaay tooo loong. Now her bike fits her. I was very suprised at the quality of this stem for only $25. It was beautifully polished too. The short one comes with no logos which is fine with me. Most of the aftermarket component companies (ie. Titec, Profile, RF, Kore, etc.) put huge, ugly logos on their products which detract from the simplistic beauty of the part and the rest of the bike.
A message to all manufacturer's: If you put on a logo, make it small and either laser etched or an easily removed decal!

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   RF, IBIS, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Fisher with genesis geometry

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Vacaville, CA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    inexpensive; does its job; comes in a variety of lengths and angles; relative lightweight (184g for 120mm/6 degree stem; matching lazer-etched top cap

Weaknesses:    Although it hasn't happened yet, I could see the potential for pain/injury if I should bang a knee cap against the heads of the protruding stem clamping bolts (OUCH!)

Bottom Line:
I recommend it if you are in the market for a good, inexpensive($25-30) and light stem. The chrome anodizing on mine was a little uneven and had a couple of small nicks in it. Being a perfectionist, I decided to sand off the anodizing and hand-polish the aluminum to a chrome-like finish. The stem now looks like a shiny work of art!

Favorite Trail:   El Corte de Madera