Salsa Cycles CRO-MOTO Stem

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

SALSA CRO-MOTO

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacto, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    Matches frame, bent before it broke

Weaknesses:    had to remove all controls to get bar out, heavy, cut knee of bolt a lot, sticker was peeling

Bottom Line:
Not something I'd upgrade to (more lighter and stiffer aluminum options), but if it's the right size I'd leave it on your bike for the matching factor (wear knee pads).
I mainly wanted to comment how in a crash that cracked my helmet and should have snapped my bars, the CroMo stem took one for the team and bent almost 45 degrees without cracking or damaging my steerer tube. I can't help but think if I had an indestructible stem like a Thompson that I'd be buying a new fork or even frame!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager and Truvativ aluminum stems

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi (matching stem came with bike)

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    stiff, light, stong, reaonably priced: pick 4. Looks great. Handmade by Ross the MotoMan.

Weaknesses:    Mine is not the SUL model and so it's a pain to remove everything off your bars when you want to install or swap out the stem. I did swap it out for a 110mm stem when I though the Salsa, at 130mm was too long. Sometime I would like to buy a 110mm Salsa SUL.
The bolts at the steer tube clamp are not "knee friendly." But despite all the crashes I've had on my bike, even in tight switchbacks where the steering is extreme, I've never cut my knees. It's the Rapid Fire shifters and my barend bolts that excel in that department.

Bottom Line:
This stem is light, strong and stiff. It's creak free and has never cut my knees. I really like the looks because it's not as fat as a lot of aluminum stems. It's steel so it doesn't have to be.

The SUL model would be great because you wouldn't have to remove everything from the bars to install it. The MotoAce SULs is aluminum and is lighter, but steel is real.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo - Braille

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mission Control (excellent but was for threaded forks and I had to give them up when I went threadless); Tioga and no-name stems

Bike Setup:   Klein HT with Speedgoat conversion forks, mostly XT

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:    Just about everything. The stem is a great upgrade.

Weaknesses:    I guess the Salsa sticker on the stem leaves something to be desired. Also, no removable face plate, so you must remove shifter, brake lever and grip to slide bar out. But its worth it!

Bottom Line:
I put this stem on my bike right away. I have the 130mm 10 deg rise stem, and it is beautiful. Salsa makes some of the best stuff around and this stem is no exception. Granted, it seems like is should come with better graphics that a sticker, but there is no chance that it is coming off. I have abused my Salsa for two years and the sticker is still fully intact. This stem is very stiff and is soo pretty, so just get one!

Favorite Trail:   NE Singletrack

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hardtail, XT/XTR, Manitou, Salsa, Sram and a little WTB and Bontrager thrown into the mix.