Home | Reviews | Stem | Ringlé

3.21/5 (39 Reviews)

Ringle Zooka Stem

Submitted by Roy a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Style, clamping wedge is great idea.

Weaknesses:    face plate. It cracked after years of use

Bottom Line:
This is a very cool and inovative way to clamp on the stem to a steer tube but the Aluminum finaly gave out adn now I can't replace it.

Favorite Trail:   Denver Front Range trails!!

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey

Bike Setup:   This stem has seen so many bike set ups on my Fat Chance it is a blur

Submitted by Ryan Fleming a Weekend Warrior from Apex, North Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2006

Strengths:    big upgrade from last stem, i like its style and it makes my bike feel overall better

Weaknesses:    none so far, but i guess if you pay full price that

Bottom Line:
this stem is good if you can get a good deal but i dont think its worth 140, maybe 80

Purchased At:   local guy

Similar Products Used:   first short stem

Submitted by J.J. Keys a Downhiller from Mahwah, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    It looks nice and has held up for me on jumps and downhill abuse.

Weaknesses:    140$...... is it solid gold???

Bottom Line:
I have no problems with this stem at all. It has held up well and not to mention the ridiculous bargain I got it for.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Haro extreme 2.0 with marzocchi dj 1s for jumping. and a 2005 iron hose SGS pro model for downhill.

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Strengths:    No problems yet

Weaknesses:    Creaks

Bottom Line:
I have had this group of Ringle products for 6 years and I have had no failures with the stem but once the seat post gets a little loose on the seat rails it strips.. The key to aluminum is to use a tourqe wrench.

The only problem with stem for me it creaks.. After reading this I think I'll get another stem.. And for all you guys that have had failures with the stem... I would have quit on the first and not bought a third....

Bike Setup:   GT RTS-1 Mavic 217 rims, Ringle hubs, ringle stem and seat post, GT cranks, Judy XC..

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from N.C.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    perfection!

Weaknesses:    none experienced

Bottom Line:
This stem has preformed perfectly, flex is only noticed in extreme cases, stays tight, no creaks, but the reviews before me scares me. It is not acceptable to have so many failures.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   titec

Bike Setup:   dbr v-link

Submitted by Ralph a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was scared when I got this stem because I came to this site and a bunch of people had told these horror stories of it breaking in half in the middle of a ride. But I figured for 50 bucks I'll give it a try and see how it feels to be impaled by a stem. Well I've been waiting for 3 years now and it hasn't happened - so I figured it was time to tell all you people out there that this stem ain't so bad. I'm 180 lbs. and both my bike and I have been through our fair share of beatings. I've gone through a couple of front rims - but this stem has been doing just fine. When I tighten it - it stays tight. I haven't really measured the flex as I'm bouncing through a bolder field, but I doubt it has ever been the cause of my lack of control. So if any one out there is thinking of getting this stem - go ahead.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Purchased At:   off some guy

Submitted by mike from diamond springs

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    absolutely none

Weaknesses:    right off the bat i found my ringle stem to be way too flexy even in comparison to my cheapo forged stem that it replaced.my head set would loosen up periodically when the stem was tightened to spec.didnt want to over torque it and deform my aluminum steerer.well....i didnt have to tighten it too many times because it cracked and was scrapped.it didnt break the face plate like so many others here have complained of.it formed a long crack all along the length of it.what a piece of junk.

Bottom Line:
this stem is junk.ive been riding for years and have rarely had any stem problems whatsoever until purchasing this thing.the worst thing about this stem is the company that makes it.poor design and poor customer service.as a group cyclists need to avoid companies that dont take our business or our safety seriously.

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   jasons bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kore,salsa,tioga t-bone,tahoma,easton EA60,zoom,etc

Bike Setup:   all kinds

Submitted by AcunaMatada a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX.

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    The only strength that really comes to mind is this stem's looks. It simply looks damn good on a bike! Honorable mention would be the removable face plate, but just about every stem has that now.

Weaknesses:    Price! $140.....who are we kidding?

Bottom Line:
There are stiffer stems and there are cheaper stems. But your going to be hard pressed to find a better looking stem. A must have item for a single speed. Maybe even a commuter bike.

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   -Syncros
-Tioga
-CODA

Bike Setup:   This stem currently resides in my spare parts bin. But in its prime it could be found on my now extinct Balance AL550.

Submitted by Phil McNaughton a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, strong...long!...oops!?! I'm using the 130mm on my single-speed, with full lenghth Ritchey riser bars. I weigh over 200lbs. So far clocked up approx.1500 miles. I also jump my single-speed at the local BMX track - NO PROBLEMS!!!
Go buy a torque - wrench !

Weaknesses:    None, well its blue anodized and looks a bit too retro now!

Bottom Line:
Could everybody stop whingeing about a product because they're bad mechanics, and don't use the correct tools - A Torque Wrench!

Favorite Trail:   West Highland Way, Scotland

Similar Products Used:   Profile, Azonic, Bontrager, ITM, Kore, etc.

Bike Setup:   Custom Single-speed, Sid, 70's Campag Record Hubs, Mavic 117 rims, Race Face, etc.

Submitted by Peter Creve a Weekend Warrior from Antwerp-Belgium

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2000

Strengths:    Looks cool , fine peace of cnc work , color stays very
long , allmost no flex , I never broke one , very light

Weaknesses:    very expensive , can break when not mounted properly

Bottom Line:
I´m hardcore cityslicking for ten years now and in all
that time I got a lot of experience in assembling my
bike.
Many people torque the 2 bolts of the handlebarclamp
too hard. When you go riding you put extra stress on
this area near the bolts. Result : it breaks !
When you torque these bolts with 10Nm then this stem
lasts a lifetime.
This stem is expensive, but it is good. I have a lot of
friends who use this peace of artwork and only one broke
under extreme conditions (hit a wall when going full speed)

Favorite Trail:   Hardcore street , city terrorising

Similar Products Used:   Tioga,Azonic,Profile,Kore

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula ´99 , Z2 bomber ´99 , XTR(der+sh) , Magura(hs33
10th)+altek levers , Ringlehubs+mavic cer , Raceface BB+
cranks+rings , club roost riser+seat

Submitted by Ezykiel a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Looking at it just blows you away! Asides from that it holds your bar.

Weaknesses:    It breaks just like any other mass produced product.

Bottom Line:
Dude, I have to agree with Mike Novak's review down at the bottom. Mine cracked between the bolts right across the Ringle logo just like his. I couldn't beleive something this expensive can be so ineffective. I discovered mine 3 weeks after doing a practice AIDS Ride, took my bike by the bars only to be surprised by the dawn cracked faceplate. I can't beleive it, I guess now I know where that pesky creaking sounds were coming from just extremely happy it didn't break while on a technical ride. I have contacted Ringle via fax and email, still no word. I hope they do the right thing. Any Ringle guys listening out there?

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race, XTR, Raceface, Sun/ Ringle.

Submitted by Giorgio Marè a Cross Country Rider from Torino, ITALY

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Strengths:    Very cool looking, the best!
Quite light too.

Weaknesses:    I have broken 4 of them, always near the thread of the cap.
I thing it can be dangerous for the rider!

Bottom Line:
I hope they change me the last two that get cracked.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Moho CXS and STS, both XTR and SID equipped

Submitted by Brad Hardesty a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    All CNC machined.

Weaknesses:    They are expensive. It hs a short base meaning you probably will have to ad an extra 12.5mm worth of spacers. (Not a problem for me because of steer tube length).

Bottom Line:
I have had three of these in the last year and a half. I have not broken one of them yet. However, the tightening mechanism did strip out in one of them and Ringle replaced it free (very quickly) at no cost to me. I cannot see how so many other people say that they are breaking them so easily. I bought my first one out of necessity because of a short steer tube on a fork that I was using in a build project. I wound up really liking it so I have purchased two others as a result of the good experience with my first one. There ara a lot of good stems out there that are a little cheaper to buy. But Ringle makes good stuff. There is no need to be afraid of this stem if you really want one.

Favorite Trail:   I never met a trail that I did not like

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech, Kore Lite, Titec Big Al

Bike Setup:   I have used one on my MC San Andreas and two on my Specialized Ground Control Aim.

Submitted by spot a Racer from ny

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
looks good

Weaknesses:
it will break and luckily you wont die

Bottom Line:
All my buddies broke it. Me too riding off a curb

ny

6 months

kore
RF
I-beam

homegrown

Submitted by Jon Nickolas a Cross-Country Rider from Fayetteville, WV

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
Easy installation, available in polished silver.

Weaknesses:
I was warned that this stem is prone to breakage but I ignored the warnings; Clamping mechanism can badly damage alloy steertubes.

Bottom Line:
I built up my dream bike and Ringle was the stem I chose. A little over a year later the stem has developed a crack. Not the faceplate, the stem itself. I noticed it on a ride but not because it was moving or creaking--I just saw it. The stem remained rock solid through the remainder of the ride (some 25 miles coming down Monarch Pass in Colorado) leading me to speculate that it may have been cracked for some time. I have since replaced this stem with a Syncros stem. A beefy aluminum stem that costs well in excess of $100 should not crack. I have never had a major crash on this bike and am at a loss to explain when or how it happened. Undoubtedly Ringle will feel that it was abused somehow. I wouldn't take a new one if they offered it to me for free. I am a very angry and dissatisfied customer. Two stars since I got a year out of it. I would not recommend this stem to anyone who rides a lot.

Anything in the La Sals

2 Years

Control Tech

Clark Kent ti wiggletube; XTR; Marzocchi Bomber BAM

Pugsley w/Lefty- keep same stem length?

I had a few minor setbacks in my Lefty conversion (scarcity of PBR internals, then my LBS cut the steerer tube too short, lol) but tomorrow I am FINALLY picking the bike up! I was curious about the geometry change- I think my axle to crown or whatever is increased with the Lefty Max? Should I com ... Read More »

Any handlebar, stem, seat post deals?

I'm thinking about upgrading my handlebars, stem and seat post to carbon. Are there any deals worth jumping on?Read More »

need help with Camber 29 stem concern

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 2014 Camber 29 Comp, xl frame. 3 days ago I'm 6'4 200lbs. my issue. handlebars are to low for me, feels like I'm leaning to far downward. My Hard Rock has a 22 degree stem with 1/2 riser bar. perfect fit. has anyone installed a 20 degree stem and bar on ... Read More »

Handlebar / Stem setup?

Just wondering what everyone is running... Flat bar or Riser? Negative degree stem? A buddy said I would be more comfortable with a negative rise stem and a Falt bar. I thought this was all personal preference. This is my first 29er, on my 26", I ran 90mm stem with a riser bar.Read More »

Roadie package: saddle, bars, stem - On One

Some good deals here. I havent gotten one, but thought someone might could use it. Carbon and Alloy stuff. The link is for one of the deals, go to "bundles" to see the others. [url=http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/GREMAFX4CC/eddy_merckx_afx4_carbon_finishing_kit]Eddy Merckx AFX4 Carbon Finishing K ... Read More »