Race Face Turbine Stem

3.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Once you pull this thing out of the box, you just want to admire it all day. The featherweight Race Face Turbine Stem provides bomber durability with 7075 aluminum and museum-quality machining.

Submitted by Alec

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2014

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Broken

Bottom Line:
I only weight 75 odd kg's, and after 4 years off a mountain bike, making a comeback on an 150mm bike i don't exactly ride hard - as per 2 other reviews on here, I split the faceplate in half, ended up on my face (at least my 661 Evo had my back) and hopefully the x-rays on my hand come back fine!
As a friend pointed out you can physically see the machining on the edges of the faceplate are FAR too thin for the design of the stem, very poorly thought out design for what they market the stems usage as.

Submitted by jerry

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2014

Strengths:    Looks fantastic and really light

Weaknesses:    Broken

Bottom Line:
I bought the stem as it was light and looked brilliant and I was very happy with it until I noticed the faceplate had cracked I have never crashed the stem so I'm abit annoyed as I paid £70 for it and it lasted 6 months, and it looks like I'm not the only one

Submitted by Jeff a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    light, nice looking

Weaknesses:    broke

Bottom Line:
This stem came stock on my 2013 rocky mountain altitude 770 MSL and the face plate cracked right in half after only about 20 rides. It was on a nothing trail and basically broke after I rolled over a root. The face plate was replaced and just the other day I broke another. I weigh 185lbs and by no means would I regard myself as an extreme rider. I am dealing with the shop with respect to replacement, but I am not sure if I really want the same one. The first time it broke my handlebars flipped down and I was able to stop. If it happened on a harder trail, I am not sure what the outcome would have been. It appears I am the second person on this site that has experienced this issue, so it would be hard for me to recommend it.

Submitted by Wayne

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great stem. Stiff, light and it even looks good.

Weaknesses:    I freeride which means I spend alot of my time flying over my bars. Even with my pads I find that this bar has sharp edges. But that is no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Dang good stem!

Submitted by Johnny RC a All Mountain Rider from Billings, Mt

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Solid built, light weight, holds bars like cement.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat sharp edges left from the machining.

Bottom Line:
I personally wanted a stem to shorten the cockpit of my AM rig, but didn't really want the weight and bulk of a DH stem. The 60mm version of this fit the bill perfectly. The machining is excellent, and I see the logic in the design to keep the majority of the pressure off the bolts. The edges of the stem can be pretty sharp, but will only affect me if I bounce off of it during a crash, so we will see. Holds bars solidly, looks sharp, lighter weight. Grade A all around.
PS- you can find these on sale on the web now, pretty good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Run

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager select, Crank Bros

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo, set up as AM climbing goat.

Submitted by mtnFX a Cross Country Rider from Playa del Rey, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lighter than Thompson, Coke bottle design, tribal band graphics look sick, Carbon bar friendly, and available in a 6 degree rise in all lengths.

Weaknesses:    Machining just a step down from Thompson, lighter weight than Thompson and overall looks more than make up for any machining short falls.

Bottom Line:
It looks like the hand of God is holding on to my Easton EC70 riser handlebar. I originally had the Thompson Elite X4 installed on my bike and that was a great stem as well. The only drawback was that Thompson does not make a rise in the 70 mm size. Going from a 10 degree stock rise to the Thompson 0 degree was just downright uncomfortable. The 6 degree rise that all the RaceFace Turbine stems have is perfect. Also, the Thompson X4 seems a bit over-built. The RaceFace Turbine stem is just perfect. It's the first and last thing I stare at on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Malibu State Creek Park

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite X4 and Bontrager

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX 5. The only items left stock are my Avid Juicy 3 hydro brakes and my Fox RP2 rear shock. Easton EC70 Low Rise Monkey bars, ODI Rogue grips with ano blue locking collars, Fox 32 F Series 120 Kashima RLC 15QR, Mavic Crosstrails, Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, WTB Rocket V Race, SRAM X9 shifters and RD, Shimano XT Crank and FD, and Kenda Nevegals DTC tires.

Submitted by TylerDCA a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, looks great

Weaknesses:    Broken

Bottom Line:
I loved my stem until I fully cracked the face plate in two while riding. Nothing spectacular about when it broke, figure it must have been damaged in the previous ride.

I know that it wasn't from over tightening since it was always torqued exactly using a torque wrench.

Unfortunately I don't trust it now.

Favorite Trail:   Outback