Race Face Turbine Stem

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Once you pull this thing out of the box, you just want to admire it all day. The featherweight Race Face Turbine Stem provides bomber durability with 7075 aluminum and museum-quality machining.

Submitted by Wayne

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    This is a great stem. Stiff, light and it even looks good.

Weaknesses:    I freeride which means I spend alot of my time flying over my bars. Even with my pads I find that this bar has sharp edges. But that is no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Dang good stem!

Submitted by Johnny RC a All Mountain Rider from Billings, Mt

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Solid built, light weight, holds bars like cement.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat sharp edges left from the machining.

Bottom Line:
I personally wanted a stem to shorten the cockpit of my AM rig, but didn't really want the weight and bulk of a DH stem. The 60mm version of this fit the bill perfectly. The machining is excellent, and I see the logic in the design to keep the majority of the pressure off the bolts. The edges of the stem can be pretty sharp, but will only affect me if I bounce off of it during a crash, so we will see. Holds bars solidly, looks sharp, lighter weight. Grade A all around.
PS- you can find these on sale on the web now, pretty good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Silver Run

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager select, Crank Bros

Bike Setup:   Titus El Guapo, set up as AM climbing goat.

Submitted by mtnFX a Cross Country Rider from Playa del Rey, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lighter than Thompson, Coke bottle design, tribal band graphics look sick, Carbon bar friendly, and available in a 6 degree rise in all lengths.

Weaknesses:    Machining just a step down from Thompson, lighter weight than Thompson and overall looks more than make up for any machining short falls.

Bottom Line:
It looks like the hand of God is holding on to my Easton EC70 riser handlebar. I originally had the Thompson Elite X4 installed on my bike and that was a great stem as well. The only drawback was that Thompson does not make a rise in the 70 mm size. Going from a 10 degree stock rise to the Thompson 0 degree was just downright uncomfortable. The 6 degree rise that all the RaceFace Turbine stems have is perfect. Also, the Thompson X4 seems a bit over-built. The RaceFace Turbine stem is just perfect. It's the first and last thing I stare at on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Malibu State Creek Park

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite X4 and Bontrager

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX 5. The only items left stock are my Avid Juicy 3 hydro brakes and my Fox RP2 rear shock. Easton EC70 Low Rise Monkey bars, ODI Rogue grips with ano blue locking collars, Fox 32 F Series 120 Kashima RLC 15QR, Mavic Crosstrails, Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, WTB Rocket V Race, SRAM X9 shifters and RD, Shimano XT Crank and FD, and Kenda Nevegals DTC tires.

Submitted by TylerDCA a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, looks great

Weaknesses:    Broken

Bottom Line:
I loved my stem until I fully cracked the face plate in two while riding. Nothing spectacular about when it broke, figure it must have been damaged in the previous ride.

I know that it wasn't from over tightening since it was always torqued exactly using a torque wrench.

Unfortunately I don't trust it now.

Favorite Trail:   Outback

Purchased At:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Thomson X4

Bike Setup:   Nomad Carbon,

Submitted by firechkn a Weekend Warrior from east bay, ca

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Strengths:    design, stiffness, weight

Weaknesses:    rear of stem could be a bit more knee-friendly

Bottom Line:
this stem works; it doesn't slip, is light, and looks great.
it could use some smoother edges at the rear of the stem for knee-friendliness, but knees shoun't really be there anyway.
I like that it is offered in shorter lengths with rise.