Race Face Evolve XC Stem

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 170 grams MSRP : $44.49

Race Race Evolve XC Stem 90mm. A perfect compliment to your Evolve XC cranks and seatpost, the Evolve XC stem is designed specifically for cross country riders looking for a lightweight performance stem at a reasonable price. Features interlocking U-shap

Submitted by sauprankul

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, rigidity, weight, clamping strength, 4-bolt design, name brand, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Mine looks like the Evolve AM stem on MTBR in sliver. Thankfully that one doesn't have the eye logo on it. Rather, it has a sleek design that really merges with the rest of the bike. That is, if you get the right color. I got silver for my black bike and it sticks out, but the shape is cool. Mine had some paint defect on the cap, but I didn't care much.
It is very rigid, even though I used the 110mm one. However, you may want to take this w/ a grain of salt as I'm only 130 and I don't push my bike too hard.
My old stem used to slip. Not this one. It has a vice-like grip on the bars. Again, grain of salt.
It has a 6 degree rise, which is not too steep. The decals are printed only one way: upwards. So it would look odd if put on with negative angle. 1 1/8 or 1.125" steerer. Around 4cm stack height.
The stem is substantially heavy, but it's light enough that its weight should be the least of your worries.
This comes with a blue Race Face decal... cool.

Overall, great stem to get yourself sized and to improve the look/feel of your bike. The price ($20 on JensonUSA) is totally a bargain for what you are getting.

Submitted by Koin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Holds the bar and looks cool. Feels very solid and I like that it has a cupped clamp that is more friendly to carbon bars - which I hope to get in the future. The 4 bolt face plate is so secure!

Weaknesses:    None really. Weight maybe? If you don't like the eye design the maybe that too.

Bottom Line:
I got this stem off ebay for $25 and couldn't be happier. It's strong, light weight, and looks great! What more could I ask for?

Favorite Trail:   River Legacy

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Pro DS, Marzocchi Z1 Drop-Off 1, Rockshox Monarch RT3, Velocity VXC rims laced to Shimano centerlock disc hubs. Shimano M416 mech disc calipers, Ritchey Rizer SC bars, Shimano XT rear derailleur, Shimano Acera crankset, front derailleur, and shifters, 26X2.1 Slant Six DTC tires.

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, No flex, paint on the sterling very resilient and pretty

Bottom Line:
Bought this for my GT peace 9r. i wanted a more robust stem than the deus when i noticed the flex and creaks in it. I do a lot of climbing and on a SS you really have to torque on the cranks and bars. Im running a 700mm wide Deus flat and this sten is silent when i power up a hill. All in all its a good stem and a good cost and weight.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Merseyside, U.K

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    Strong and light, stiff, well constructed and stress relief front plate. Also really good value for money.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2011 model which is slightly different in shape and different in faceplate from the pictured one. It is also slightly lighter but otherwise shares all of the excellent qualities of the earlier evolve. The weight, stiffness, reliability and finish are very good and I use mine for all mountain riding....as one of the people here quite rightly pointed out, silly money is out. Why on earth pay Thompson prices for a stem that has no advantage over this first class product.

Favorite Trail:   Llandegla Forest Black

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Hope, Tioga, Oval, Planet X & Ovation

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 55

Submitted by PaintPeelinPbody a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, PA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice, if your into the fancy RACEFACE logos that scream at you. Otherwise, simple and black.

Weaknesses:    I wish RaceFace would tone down some of the quirky in-your-face styling of products. The Revolution road stem is probably their best example of a nice looking stem that doesn't have weird "eye" on it.

Bottom Line:
Serious, $10? 155 grams? How do people spend $60 to $80 on a Thompson stem? Same weight, and sure the Thompson's look nice, but you could use that extra money you saved to buy yourself a new pair of shoes.

In this day in age, I'll take what's cheap and what works, and that's what RaceFace has provided.

Favorite Trail:   Gretna

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Deity, Salsa, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet, previously Lefty Max, switching to RS Pike.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    weight and looks

Bottom Line:
I have the Race Face Evolve XC cockpit and the stem is actually pretty sharp looking, escpecially the red eye front plate. I'm very satisfied with the way this stem and handlebar match up and have held up to everything I've thrown at it. Durable and economical. Just stay away from the old "single bolt" Race Face Evolve XC seat post. The bolt has a major flaw = it will eventually snap in half and you won't be able to find another bolt unless you can melt steel and cast it yourself!

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park